PDA

View Full Version : Running Coach - Update - Week 9 - No running this time!

KSH
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, I went to my 9th week with my running coach.

We started with some squats and hopping/jumping drills. The jumping drills are the worst! I start huffing and puffing!

Then I did some slow motion leg movement to mimick my running motion.

The right leg looked pretty good. Knee was out and foot was straight. It wasn't 100% perfect, but darn close to perfect form.

Then left leg... was BAD! My knee falls inward and my foot points outward. I could completely see how "off" everything was. And when I would try to push my knee outward, my foot would not be straight and I couldn't raise my foot flat.

I have a horrible problem on both legs with my knees falling inwards. More so on my left leg.

So, instead of running, he focused on my form on my left leg and tried to figure out WHY it was so bad. I had to do more slow motion movements with my left leg (OH the butt muscles were working!)... and he did some poking and proding.

He thinks I have a tight muscle that connects my pelvis to my hamstring and calf. So, he gave me some stretching exercises to try to loosen it up.

This next week... my running drills pretty much consist of different types of lunges (focusing on perfect form) and stretches to try to get my left knee in proper alignmnet.

I didn't get run this week, but hopefully in the future I can get my crazy-left-leg fixed up and I can get to running again!

Lise
06-24-2006, 04:37 AM
It is so interesting to hear what you're learning about your running form. I think of it sometimes when I'm running, and try to notice what I'm doing with my feet, legs, arm, posture, etc. Hard to observe oneself, though! Keep up the good work. I'm sure it will pay off enormously. L.