PDA

View Full Version : How to sit when riding trainer?

HappyAnika
06-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty new to cycling, just started in April, right after my hubby bought a trainer, and right when the weather got nice enough to ride outside. But now I'm thinking I'd like to throw in a few more quick workouts on the weekdays riding the trainer. My question is, does it matter if you sit like you're really riding with your hands on the handle bars, or can you sit straight up "Look Ma, no hands!" style? Are there advantages or disadvantages to either? I'd kind of like to free up my hands for a book or magazine to stave off boredom, but I'm not sure if I will get the same benefit, or if I might be adding unnecessary strain to a body part, such as knees. (TV/video not an option). Thanks!

DebW
06-21-2006, 10:17 AM
You can buy book holders that mount on the handlebars. I don't really know if one position is better than another. Just like riding on the road, it is probably good to vary your position every so often. I will read the book from the handlebar holder for awhile, then sit up straight and hold it in my hands for awhile.

velogirl
06-21-2006, 01:22 PM
does it matter if you sit like you're really riding with your hands on the handle bars, or can you sit straight up "Look Ma, no hands!" style? Are there advantages or disadvantages to either?

I think it definitely matters, especially as a beginner rider. When you ride the trainer, you're creating habits (muscule memory) that will hopefully transfer to the road. If you create bad habits on the trainer, you're transferring bad habits to the road.

You're also building core/shoulder/neck/arm strength when you ride in the proper riding position (with hands on the bar) that will help you better handle your bike when you ride outside.

When you sit up on the bike, you change the angle of your hip. This means you're using your muscles in a different way, so if you want to specifically increase muscular strength for riding your bike, you should ride in the same way you do outside.

From a cardiovascular point of view, it doesn't matter at all. If your goal is simply to get more fit (not to become a better rider), then you will yield the same results no matter how poor your form is.

I teach indoor training classes (on bikes and stationary trainers) and I've found that the riders who see the most improvement are the riders who are able to simulate their outdoor riding styles the best.

SadieKate
06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
My personal opinion is that if you can read while riding a trainer you aren't training. You need to be working harder with superspins or intervals or something. Just spinning away at a low enough effort to allow you to focus on the printed word doesn't give you good quality time on the trainer and it sure is harder on the butt.

Is music an option? An audio feed of some kind will help.

withm
06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I've never been able to read while using treadmill or elliptical. Between the bifocals and the vibrations there is just too much movement for me to focus on the print. To alleviate boredom I listen to books on tape (or CD). I'm often laughing out loud listening to some books, and other days I work out a little longer cause I'm at a real good part and can't put the "book" down. Get them at the library, and stay away from the abridged volumes - they really leave out too much stuff to follow the story decently. Hope this helps.

HappyAnika
06-22-2006, 06:49 AM
From a training standpoint, I ride pretty hard when I'm out and there are always hills . . . I wanted to use the trainer for some lower intensity fat-burning time as opposed to cardio training. I love the idea of auido books, I know my husband has a bunch on his ipod which I can hook up to the speakers in our garage. Thanks for the suggestions :)

mimitabby
06-22-2006, 06:59 AM
this winter for the first time, I had a wind trainer in the basement. I find that i cannot stay down there without a book. WITH a book i can ride down there for 30 minutes to an hour. After miles and miles on the road, i can sustain a fairly good consistent pace on the trainer, but without a book it is extremely boring.
When I went back outdoors, there was a noticeable difference in how quickly I got up to speed, so even though I was reading (and probably not giving it my all) it was enough to keep me in some kind of form.
My basement is cold especially in the winter, so i usually go down there wearing a sweatshirt or sweater over a teeshirt. Within 10 minutes I generally take the overshirt off. in 30 minutes I am usually a bit sweaty; and it no longer feels cold down stairs. I haven't used a heart monitor; but by this I can tell that I am getting a good cardiovascular workout.