PDA

View Full Version : lower back pain when climbing

crupe
10-05-2003, 10:25 PM
I have been getting some pretty severe back pain when climbing. I am not sure where everyone lives but I am in the bay area and typically climb hwy 9, Page Mill and Montebello. I am riding only 3 days a week so I am getting a lot of rest. I have been stretching. I have been training differently this year - doing intervals so I thought maybe it could be that I have been going up mountains before putting in some good solid miles on my bike. Other than my training, nothing has changed, same weight, same bike. Any advice regarding exercises, bike stuff, anything is greatly appreciated.

Christine

trekchic
10-06-2003, 05:15 AM
Have you injured yourself recently? Fallen or pulled a muscle? Maybe you have a muscle that hasn't fully healed yet.

I've never experienced any back pain in climbing. Sometimes nerves get pinched in the hip/upper thigh area and makes your back hurt like crazy. A friend of mine had a ruptured disc in his back and a pinched nerve in his leg. Both hurt in his lower back area.

Does it feel better once you quit climbing?

han-grrl
10-06-2003, 08:18 AM
If you have been riding a fair bit, you may have very tight hip flexors or hamstrings... both of these muscle groups pull on the low back. Personally i have extremely tight hip flexors that can cause extreme back pain while climbing. also what climbing position are you using. for myself, i am on the mtb, and i tend to lean forward, this is possibly the worst position for your back, it puts pressure on the vertebral discs as well as your back has to hold you in that position for the duration of your climb! Try to sit up more and stretch. Also if you work on strengthening your core this can also help reduce back pain.

hope this helps

Han

crupe
10-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Yes, my hamstrings are real tight and I am not sure what my hip flexors are :). I was not sure if my hams had anything to do with my back but it makes sense. I did pull my butt muscle but I had that pulled last year and I didn't have the lower back pain last year.

The position I am riding in varies. I actually found if I lean forward the pain reduces. If I try to sit up and have my hands on the tops of the bars, the pain can be excruciating.

My back does feel better when I get off the bike or just stop climbing a hill. It helps when I get out of the saddle but I can't stay out for very long.

What exercises are best to strengthen this area besides sit ups?

Thank you very very much,

Christine

goddess1222
10-06-2003, 02:18 PM
i have had constant problems with lower back, until i saw my physical therapist. she recommended some cool stretches, and some sessions of deep stretching with her. they worked. now when my back gets tight, i just do what she taught me. i have diagram pages she gave me if you would like me to send them to you.

send me a P.M.

han-grrl
10-07-2003, 07:37 AM
Your hip flexors are right above your quad and attach to your low spine, kind of pulling it forward when they are tight. If you stand up and lift a straight leg up that's your hip flexors at work.

Dogmama
10-07-2003, 07:55 AM
I always get lower back pain if I'm pushing a gear that is too big. Always. Concentrate on spinning up hills.

sno4rent
10-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Christine ~

Han-grrl is right – strengthening your core is imperative for ANY sport. If you don’t do it, you could be just asking for trouble. I have only taken up mountain biking just recently (and I can’t get enough of it); therefore, I am, by no means, an expert on back pain and BIKING. However, when it comes to back pain, I’d like to think I can help.

My Story: I have always felt like I was a strong athlete. I got scholarships to play volleyball and run track in college. I also played competitive softball, soccer, basketball, and I kayaked. But I would constantly have issues with my back. I’d work out like a mad-woman trying to get myself stronger and stronger. Then I would sneeze - yes, I said sneeze - and my back would “go out”. I ended up completely blowing out a disk in September, 2002. I had severe muscle spasms in my butt and down my right leg (Vicodin was my best friend and prior to this, I wouldn’t even take an Advil for a headache). I had numbness down my leg and was starting to lose strength in my foot. I tried all the rehab possibilities: physical therapy, chiropractor (bad choice in my case), and steroids. Nothing worked and I ended up having to have surgery in December. Turns out one of my main problems was, my core muscles were weak. You can be strong everywhere else and still be weak. My other problem was a lack of flexible hamstrings and hip flexors.

My recommendations to you are exactly what Han-grrl said – strengthen your core and get your hamstrings and hip flexors more flexible. It will make a WORLD of difference. I am now back to “throwing” myself around on the court and in the field. Here is a great article to get you started on some core strengthening exercises. My favorite is the Staggered Stance Diagonal Row (last page of the “Stealth Insurance” article). It is the one that helps me most in my “alternate” sports.

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200202/200202bodywork_1.adp

Good luck to you and I hope this helps!

~ Wendi

annie
10-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Wendi,

Thanks for the link. There is some great info there and exercises that I am going to try. My balance has never been what I'd like it to be. I am always envious of some of the guys I mountain bike with and their abilitiy to trackstand and balance their way around and over obstacles that I have to walk. I think anything one does on one leg is great for improving balance.

I know how important core strength is and I don't do enough there, either. Maybe a new routine to work at will encourage me. So thanks again! I shouldn't be by now, but I am still amazed by how much I learn on these boards and how helpful everyone is.