PDA

View Full Version : bon ton roulet

shewhobikes
06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
anybody ever done it? 3 girlfriends and I are doing a roadtrip all the way from Bham, AL, to Auburn, NY for this and we are FIRED UP!!!!:D We've read everything on the web site and talked to one friend down here who's done it twice, so we have some info....however....

If you, or anyone you know, has done this ride, please respond with suggestions, tips, not-to-miss stops, etc.

For those of you who are browsing threads and are not sure what this is about, go to www.bontonroulet.com. It's a week-long ride around the finger lakes in upstate new york.

can't wait!!!

tulip
06-21-2006, 10:46 AM
looks like a fun challenge, although I can't say much for the spelling!

I'll be up there in September, but it's for a wedding and I'll be flying, so no bike, alas.

Have fun!

lette
06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm so envious.
My hub and I have discussed doing the bonton, but ended up renting a cottage for the past two years and cycling around the lakes. (a real bed and hottub vs camping...hmmm....getting so old!)
We ran into the Bonton last year, and they seemed to be having a great time. Must have been 100 of them at Wagners Winery having lunch, their shoes all lined up at the door.

You will love the roads, five feet of paved shoulder on main routes..I swear little fairies sweep the shoulders at nite. Have not had a flat in the two, one week trips that we were there. The scenery is farmland, vineyards, and the lakes. By july the farmers will be selling fruit and produce in little stalls at the side of the road. It's really beautiful.

We've cycled around Keuka, Seneca, and did our first century around Cayuga last week...looking at your route, the Day 6
Watkins Glen/Trumansburgh/Ithaca portion is hilly.

Personally I loved Wagners Winery (your Day 4) had lunch there 3 times, and buy cases of their wine (to drink in the hottub after cycling)

I'm so excited for you too..please write a trip report when you return!
Lette