PDA

View Full Version : gravel trucks!

mimitabby
06-20-2006, 06:24 AM
We went up this road where a lot of gravel trucks were hauling loads of gravel. The first incident was when one of these jerks thought it was funny
to blast his horn while passing each bicyclist (we were all on the side of the road, not in traffic, on the other side of the white line)
The next truck passed us peacefully, and my heart rate went back down. THe next guy thought he was funny too, and moved his giant vehicle as close to the side of the road as he could without crossing that white line. We know it wasn't because he was drifting because we watched as he did it to the next group further ahead.
after 10 miles on that nasty road; we turned and went into beautiful hilly country, in the foothills of the northern cascades.

On Monday I called the trucking outfit and spoke to the owner. he was very
concerned and friendly and said he was surprised because those truckers
were all very experienced and knew better. He said he would get back to me today. I'll let you know.

kaybee
06-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Good for you for callling the hauling company!

KB

Geonz
06-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I'd send something in wriitng, too... with a "cc: Morgan Lewis, ...[oh, what are lawyer's initials???]" at the end.

mimitabby
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd send something in wriitng, too... with a "cc: Morgan Lewis, ...[oh, what are lawyer's initials???]" at the end.
Good idea. I will keep you all posted.

Quillfred
06-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm wondering if you were directly west of Hwy 20 near I-5.

When we were driving to Winthrop 10 days ago, we were directly behind a very inebriated (small) truck driver who started driving slowly, erratically, took out a sign, then proceeded to lose his retread off a rear tire. Did he stop for any of this? Nah.

Unfortunately we didn't have a cell phone but someone must have because the cops followed him.

mimitabby
06-21-2006, 06:32 AM
no, we were on State Route 92 near granite falls.
The owner of the first truck company called me back last night.

He said that the license plate i gave him was not one of his, but he'd had a safety meeting (he called it a shouting match!) where he let his guys know
that it was NOT okay to harass bicyclists and if he hears any more bad reports, heads will fly..
Later I will call the other company.

slinkedog
06-21-2006, 06:57 AM
You go, Mimi! I'm really interested to hear what's going to come of this!

mimitabby
06-21-2006, 08:23 AM
I called the other company, and a very concerned woman listened to my story and asked if I would send her a letter describing what happened because;
"coming from me, it's nagging" she said "coming from you they will take it more seriously"

So i am writing a letter now.

Quillfred
06-21-2006, 08:56 PM
I wonder if there is a law against harassment of this nature. Something like reckless endangerment come to mind. Thanks for persuing this. It makes the road a little safer for the rest of us.

Blueberry
06-22-2006, 02:45 AM

Esq. should do it.

Good for you for calling the company - I've done that many times myself, with varying results. I figure the corporate entity can't correct the behavior of its drivers if it doesn't know what's going on out there...

Glad you're in one piece:)

Carrie Anne

mimitabby
06-22-2006, 06:37 AM
I wonder if there is a law against harassment of this nature. Something like reckless endangerment come to mind. Thanks for persuing this. It makes the road a little safer for the rest of us.

Yes, there is a law. I wonder if I have done the right thing contacting the owners and not law enforcement. I cc'd my letter to an attorney who is a bicyclist and a member of our club. We'll see if he has any comments.

pooks
06-22-2006, 10:09 AM
If you haven't already, keep records of everyone you talk to (ask them to spell their names -- that lets them know in a hurry that you mean business), time and day, and what they say. Later you may want the details and if necessary can turn them over the record over to law enforcement. I don't know in this case that it will be helpful, but it's a good habit to start.

BikeMomma
10-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey Mimi --

Just reading over this thread (I hate gravel trucks...they're pretty nice here, though). I'm curious of whatever happened after they got your letter?

~BikeMomma

mimitabby
10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I was assured that all drivers were read the riot act. but that's all i know!

mimi