PDA

View Full Version : Hillsboro, SW Portland LBS?

Kitsune06
06-19-2006, 07:33 PM
not to be spammy, but is there a good, reputable lbs in the hillsboro/aloha/beaverton area? Two that I know of have closed, and after reading the horror stories of people's bikes being "fixed" but not fixed... I don't want to take my chances!

Price sorta matters, too.

Thanks!

bikerchic
06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
There is a bike shop near me Bike-N-Hike on 4th. I've been in and talked to the two guys in there about tuning up my bike, I'm a bit scared of leaving it with just anyone too. The only one who has ever touched my bike has been the builder, but his shop is a thousand miles away, boo,hoo.

The guys at the Bike-N-Hike did seem pretty knowledgeable about Campy stuff which is what I have. They also had a price list posted so no surprises there unless you need extra parts.

I really dread having to take the plunge too and I wish I had more to offer you in way of a reliable shop but I'm pretty new here myself. Times like this I sure wish I could wrench!

Kitsune06
06-23-2006, 05:38 PM
I ended up biting the bullet and going back to Eugene with the bikes (good riding, anyway!) and asking Hutch's about their price. They've always been kind to my ex and I, so my bike is (finally!) getting her 1st tune-up, and my partner's bike is getting a much-needed adjustment, etc.

I'm taking this opportunity to strip the derailleurs and brakes from the sad, empty frame of my ex's bike (his fork, seat, headset and wheels were all stolen, leaving handlebars and above components. It cost more to replace the missing components than to just get a new bike, given the discount Hutch's was willing to give him for being a good customer, so I managed to buy the components cheap.) and install them on her frame for an upgrade before the 'tune-up'... hopefully saving money by making it a tune-up instead of an installation, because I'm good at wrenching given the tools I have, but without a cable-puller, bike stand, etc, and minimal real experience, I still have to be at the mercy of an LBS.