PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love triathlon?

Lise
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I just finished watching the 2002 IM Championship DVD, with tears streaming down my face, of course. I am so tired--started a call shift last night at 10 PM, kept going until 5 PM, with a nap from 10-11 AM. Sometimes my job is like that. I'm going to bed soon, but hanging out on the couch with a bowl of pasta, watching people finish Kona, it's not Tim DeBoom and Peter Reid that make me cry. It's the fireman who ran for the firefighters who died in 9/11, the woman who ran 2 weeks after a miscarriage, and all the people whose stories we won't know. People like our own Running Mommy, like everyone on this board who's ever finished a tri. So it got me thinking...why do you love it so much?

I'll start--I love the improbability of it. I was not ever voted "most likely to become a triathlete" (or an athlete at all!)

I love the fact that even if I'm not very good at 2/3 of it (swim and run) and I had a pretty heavy hybrid bike (the Marin), I finished six triathlons.

I love the strategy of it. Thinking about and laying out my transition area. The experience of shifting from swim to bike to run.

I love the way triathletes treat each other. I have read stories of bad treatment, but I've never seen anything except generosity, friendliness, and support.

I love that getting better on the bike makes me want to get better on the run and swim, too.

I love knowing that one thing I'm good at, "just keep going, don't quit", turned out to be a strategy perfect for triathlon!

And I love coming here and sharing it all with all of you. :D L.

KSH
06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
I love the fact that it has given me focus in my life.

I love the fact that getting to say I am a triathlete.. is a "dream come true". It use to be just a vague idea... and now here I am!

I love training for all three disciplines! (I will run again soon! :D )

I love riding my bike with a group of cyclists... and pushing my body to the limits.

I love exercising for a REASON... knowing that my body has a purpose.

I love getting to eat what I want (for the most part) and still look pretty darn good.

I love the mental torture it produces some days and stepping back and trying to tackel the negatives thoughts I have and making my next day better.

I love the challenge. I love the fact that I can't conquer this in one week... month... or year. That it will take me years to accomplish all this sport has to offer... and then some.

I love getting to be apart of a "secret society" where there are others here and BT that understand all the trials and tribulations we go through... no matter if we are first or last to come in!

I love the fact that you don't have to be "super fit" to accomplish your goals... and even if you aren't #1, you are still a triathlete.

I love being able to say I am a triahlete... It makes me PROUD. :D

KSH
06-19-2006, 06:27 PM
I just finished watching the 2002 IM Championship DVD, with tears streaming down my face, of course. I am so tired--started a call shift last night at 10 PM, kept going until 5 PM, with a nap from 10-11 AM. Sometimes my job is like that. I'm going to bed soon, but hanging out on the couch with a bowl of pasta, watching people finish Kona, it's not Tim DeBoom and Peter Reid that make me cry. It's the fireman who ran for the firefighters who died in 9/11, the woman who ran 2 weeks after a miscarriage, and all the people whose stories we won't know. People like our own Running Mommy, like everyone on this board who's ever finished a tri. So it got me thinking...why do you love it so much?

L.

You work SO HARD!

Yea, everytime I see something about the Ironman... I cry too. Especially for the ones who are finishing at the back of pack. Sure, the pros are cool to stand in "awe" of... but they aren't "human" to me. I have a tons more respect for the "normal humans" who finish.

When I heard RummyM. made it... I cried.

triflor
06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
The very first triathlon I watched was a try-a-tri that my bro and mum had entered. I cried watching people cross the finish line. I LOVE that I know to wear sunglasses, even at the midnight finish line, watching the Ironman athletes coming through, to hide the tears pouring down my face!

I LOVE that having particular goals pushes me to follow through. I would not be active or in shape without a goal to motivate my workouts.

I LOVE that I am an athlete now, something I never really attained despite being on teams in school. I never had good enough hand eye co-ordaination for typical team sports.

I LOVE that when I wear a skirt I know my legs look great!

I LOVE knowing that my slow leg, swimming, won't ruin me from finishing. In fact, I may be a slow swimmer, but I'll pass people in my age group on the bike, and maybe even the run.

I LOVE walking around at events and talking to anyone and everyone. Hearing people cheer on complete strangers, seeing the kindness athletes show to each other.

Right now I race in the 20-24 age group and I've got to say I get a kick out of seeing the super competitive girls throw temper tantrums at the smallest of things... it makes me chuckle. On that note I should mention that there is a team in Ontario called the Hamilton Hammerheads, of Junior athletes. They tend to be overly competitive and a bit spoiled. If they don't become pro or whatever, and go age grouper instead, they have a tendancy to show some of that bad treatment you refered to Lise. Unfortunate for whoever is near by, especially b/c so many people are so generous and friendly. But like I said, its worth the laughs if you aren't at the receiving end of it.

I LOVE waking up the morning of a race and thinking through, planning through the race. Setting up my transition gets me calm for the race.

Last year at the Peterborough Half Ironman in Ontario my brother and I saw many things that were great moments, but this one stands out... we saw our friend Paul walking through the parking lot at the venue with a very broken bike (carbon fibre fork shattered). Jay asked him what happened, if he had been hurt or anything. Paul looked at us and said, "Oh no, its not my bike, I already finished my race (the sprint). This is a guy in the half's bike... I lent him mine so he could finish." "Paul do you know the guy?" "No."

I LOVE the volunteers who make the each race happen, b/c without them who knows how many races I would have finished. At one race the exit from the swim was on a VERY slippery boat launch. Two men were standing on the ramp, hauling athletes up onto safe footing. A dangerous position for them to be in!

I LOVE walking around Lake Placid during Ironweek... you can't make it through town without seeing people you know. The atmosphere is buzzing and the hype is contagious! If it weren't sooo much fun to be in that town during Ironman, I might not have caught the tri-bug!

But most of all, I LOVE watching my mum finish her races. Its then that I see her at her happiest (and she's a pretty happy lady.) I love her honesty about it... "This is 'freakin' hard Laurel!" she called out to me at the Half Ironman last year, in the hot, hot, humid weather. I love her dedication to the sport, and to seeing my brother and I enjoy it. She calls me up with tips, sends me encouring emails, lends me her tri-books... she's my tri-hero... well actually she's my hero in general!

Running Mommy
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
T-flor- Your mom is MY hero!!!! Anytime I hear of a MOM who has caught the tri bug I get SOOO excited!!! I wish my mom would show even a remote interest in ANYTHING!! ugh! She at least used to do pilates, but lately hasn't done much of anything but whine about how flabby she is!! :cool:

Ok, so my turn....

I love the looks on people face when I tell them that I finished Ironman. Esp. after I explain to them WHAT the Ironman is exactly!! :p

I was NEVER an athlete of any type growing up. I used to say of running that "my body doesn't DO that"... Well countless 10k's and 4 Marys later, yeah I'm a runner.

Like the others, I like having a purpose to my training. I don't "work out" I "train".

I like tri mostly because of the burn out factor- as well as over use- doing three sports means if you don't feel like running then hey- jump on your bike or go for a swim.

I love the people that do triathlon. Let's face it, I'm not svelt in any way shape or form. At race expo's for running races I always see people giving me the "yeah, RIGHT she's a runner. She must be walking the race" but in triathlon I never run into that. At Ironman I can't tell you how many people- including the pro's had encouraging words as they rode by me. It was like that on the run to. People are just so much kinder to one another. I did have one girl make a snitty comment to me at a race in california once, but that;s it. I laugh about it now... We were coming in at the very end of the bike leg and I said to her "nice bike" and her reply was "yeah, it's much faster than yours". I was on my brand new specialized dolce elite road bike, so it wasn't like I was on nobbies!! At first I was offended, then I thought to myself "If your bike is so much faster how come you didn't pass me until we had a half mile to go?!" HA!!! :D
But yeah, people are very supportive.

I love knowing that I could prolly outrun just about any bad guy. He may be quicker, but if I get a head start I can get him with distance. I think being a runner makes me more self assured.

And finally.... I love that being involved in this sport has brought me so many friends. From the good friends I've made over on trinewbies to the wonderful friends I've made here. Yes, I do consider you girls my friend. And I hope to meet you all in person someday.
If it weren't for tri, I would never have been here!!
Ciao bellas!!
Denise

I TRI
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm new to triathlons this season ... but here are some starters ...

I love that even though I swear at how hard it is the whole way through, I still want to do it again.

I love that I'm learning a new sport (cycling) which opens up all sorts of new doors (including meeting you, ladies).

I love that I my favorite is the run, so I have that to look forward to all the way through the race.

I love that my non-athlete friends are really impressed at me doing triathlons.

I love that everyone yells encouragement during the race.

I love the feeling of crowds cheering me on.

I love being able to be proud of myself at the end of a race.

Here are some anticipated ones ...

I'm still working on calling myself a triathlete. I'm still growing into my screenname even. Somehow I feel because I'm new to the sport, and have only done small club races, all sprints, that I'm not a triathlete yet. So I look forward to proudly calling myself a triathlete, and loving that.

I look forward to loving the feeling of completing my first olympic distance, which will probably be next season.

I look forward to loving cycling more as I get to know it better.

Nicola

triflor
06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I TRI- I think you will love Olympic distance! And don't ever be shy about calling yourself a triathlete! Who cares what distance you're doing, the point is that you ARE doing it. Welcome to triathlon!:D

crazycanuck
06-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Ya know, i think the main thing for me is just finishing.

I'd never swum in the ocean (other than boogie boarding) & am not fond of waves but I manage...& finish

I may be one of the last ones to finish but I FINISHED....I've done 5 tri's-mainly enticer distances but blah who cares...

I do tri's just for fun & to say i've accomplished something. I am working on my running & would like to do sprint tri's next season..OMG..it starts in september...:eek:

What's even cooler is they're starting an off road tri club here in Perth...Yippeeeee.e.....'!!!

I'm babbling...back later

c

triflor
06-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Crazy- off road tri sounds like a lot of fun. I often see ads for X-terra triathlons in North America. Let us know if you get into off roads, and how you like it.
Good luck with your sprints coming up this season! I like sprints for a lot of reasons, but mostly because of how much you can push yourself in each discipline. Its short so you can go a lot harder. But I warn you, after a while sprints just won't feed that tri appetite!

Nanci
06-20-2006, 04:57 AM
I love my LS T-shirt with the manatee on it. I wear it all the time!!

And I love the bike leg. And setting up transition.

We just won't mention the swim or the "run." :-)

Pyannyplayer
06-20-2006, 06:18 AM
You all have pretty much nailed it as to why I love triathlons, but here are my personal ones:

I've never been athletic in my life; always the last picked because I was too slow, too fat, too uncoordinated. Finishing my first tri was such a milestone! It was my first athletic endeavor and I DID IT! I didn't finish first, nor did I finish last, but I FINISHED! I crossed the finish line and was jumping up and down, bawling!! There is no stopping me now! At 45 years old, I'm not only an athlete, but I'm a TRIATHLETE!!

I love telling people that I do triathlons - something about their awe that we actually ENJOY doing them. I love hearing my sons comment, "Mom can do that, she does triathlons, you know!" I love knowing that my husband brags on me about doing the tris.........it's fun to have him so proud of what I've accomplished (he started all of this anyway, by giving me the biking bug and it GREW from there!!).

Everyone is so nice at the tris I've done - very helpful and encouraging. I enjoy sharing that, especially with kids. Nothing makes their day (or mine) more than a compliment or encouragement.

I love the way my body feels now - STRONG! I've never had this feeling before. I am not perfect, but golly! It's fun to see muscles that weren't been there before! (Anyone else ever catch themselves noticing/admiring their muscles in the mirror or is that just me?)

Lastly, as I'm starting to ramble, I love the health benefits. I'd been losing weight, but training has helped to "jump start" it so I know my weight loss goal is in sight (I'm proud to say that I've gone from 260 lbs to 147 lbs......22 pounds to go!!). My blood pressure is lower and I have tons of energy! My clothes fit better, my skin looks better, and my mood is better! Besides, with training in three sports, you're never bored and your chance of injury/burnout is less.

In a nutshell:

I LOVE TRIATHLONS!!!!

Okay, I have to go get my swim in......

Lorie

Running Mommy
06-20-2006, 08:18 AM
C-Canuck.. I ENVY you!! You live in a tri hungry hot bed down there!! You guys sure bring alot of talent to the start line too! Michellie Jones, Macca... Ohhh Macca... One FINE specimin of a triathlete!! His ego notwithstanding of course!! :rolleyes:
Someday I'll make it down under!! :)

Bella
06-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I love that it is constant motion in three environments with three sets of equipment.

I love that no two are ever alike and that I can go to a new city by way of a triathlon - swim in their lakes, ride on their roads and run through their communities.

I love being a face or form that flashes by the stranger/spectators that will never know who I am, but who are happy I'm doing my best.

I love elevating myself to a new level each time I race and being in control of my achievement - when so many other things in life are out of my control.

I love being my own "Olympian" but also love catching the inspiration from all other "Olympians" at the events .

I love talking with other trainees about their experiences, bikes, events as smiles break out across their faces.

I love being good to myself after a tough workout or a rugged event.

I love looking at the medal or race bib and saying " See this - you did it!"

crazycanuck
06-21-2006, 02:41 AM
I am sitting here reading some posts on the Edmonton Oilers forum & there's one about Kurt browning-You're probably wondering why i'm posting about a skater in a triathlon or even a biking forum...

Well, it's because people involved in any competition type sport-whether it's local, national or international-are heroes no matter what place they came.

This was a conversation btwn Jeff Buttle & Kurt -canadian skaters

"I asked Jeff Buttle [a young skater Kurt mentored at the '06 Olympics], 'do you consider me a failure? I was at two Olympics as world champion and neither time - once because of injury and once because I just screwed up - I didn't do it. I didn't even get a bronze. Am I a failure to you?' He said, 'No, no, no.' I said, 'neither will you be. How you represent yourself, your family and your country is more important than what medal you win. You can win and still be a loser.”

"You're not a champion because you win something. You're a champion because of the person you are."

I'm not sure if this makes sense or not & may not have explained it well so give me some time to think & i'll edit it again!
c

Tri Girl
06-25-2006, 04:53 PM
I love all of your reasons for doing tris. I second all that's been said. Here are a couple more:

I love that I beat a lot of people out of the water. People that are much faster on the bike and run than me. I love watching them fly by me on the bike (and they almost always offer encouraging words as they speed by). Used to make me depressed being passed so much, but now I enjoy the fact that I'm very good at 1 of the 3 sports (the best part about tri is that you don't have to be good at all 3). :)

I love to be able to compete on the same playing field as the elites. Aside from running, there isn't any other sport that allows amateurs to compete against pros on the same course at the same time. Pretty cool.

I love knowing that although my butt/hips/legs are larger than I'd like- they are POWERFUL and propel me forward on the bike and run. I take pride in my larger bottom half, cuz those skinny girls at the gym ain't got nothin' on my endurance and power. :D

Lastly, I love you gals. I'm still fairly new here, but I love having you as my tri friends. It makes it nice to know there are others out there who share my passion and love of the sport.

KSH
06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I love knowing that although my butt/hips/legs are larger than I'd like- they are POWERFUL and propel me forward on the bike and run. I take pride in my larger bottom half, cuz those skinny girls at the gym ain't got nothin' on my endurance and power.

HAHA!

Reminds me.... when I go shop for jeans and a sales associate tries to help me, I will tell them, "I have thunder thighs and I need jeans that they can fit into".

They just look at me like they can't believe I am putting myself down so horribly.

Then I promptly say, "But I'm proud of them. I have thighs of muscle, not those skinny thighs with no muscle in them."

:D