PDA

View Full Version : Century month.....who is riding?

Mary T.
09-05-2001, 06:21 PM
September is "century month". This year my bike club has joined forces with a local sports organization to promote the "Heart of Virginia" Cycling weekend. The hopes were to have a really large ride attracting many people from all over to come to central Virginia to enjoy cycling. Unfortunately, the Sportsbackers organization delayed the printing of brochures until just a few weeks before the ride. This did not allow enough time for most people to fit it into their schedule . Also the cost is minimum of $40.00 for early registration going upto $60.00 later. When last years century was $18.00. I have decided to volunteer to do registration from 6 AM - 9 AM then just ride the metric century. I hate to pay $40.00 to ride the same roads I ride every week.

To make up for the missed century in town, I have registared with PBA to do the Surrey Century the week before ours about 1 hour south of here. This is supposed to be a really good ride. It consists of 3 loops of 50, 25 & 25 so people can choose the distance they want. And the good news.....it is flat! I love a flat century. I just hope I can find a group to ride with.

Anybody else doing a century?

hharman
09-06-2001, 03:34 AM
You are lucky to leave in the Virginia area with so many wonderful back roads to ride on. The Potmac Peddlars out of the VA-MD-DC area used to sponsor a great century! I miss riding in that area --although Colorado is great. Check it out and enjoy!

Roxy
09-07-2001, 11:12 AM
We'll be doing one at the end of the month - the Lighthouse Century, in San Luis Obispo, CA.
Only made it through the metric century last year...this time I'll do the 'real' thing, and next year I'll do the 'hilly' century!
Also doing the Big Sur Ride next weekend - 170 miles over two days. Not technically a century, but a heck of a long way!!:cool:

UGoGirl
09-09-2001, 06:49 PM
1) 2 day MS ride (90 miles total)
2) 8 day CycleNorthCarolina ride (400+ miles total)

These will be my first official events! Been riding for 7 weeks now and can't wait! And am so looking forward to it!:p