PDA

View Full Version : Football (that's soccer for ya Americans..) world cup

crazycanuck
06-17-2006, 02:30 AM
I see that we have a football fan in our midst...salsabike....

Anyone else there paying attention to the world cup. I'm not really paying attention but i'm rooting for all the African teams..

The socceroos (australia's team) are playing Brazil on Monday...That should be interesting...People actually believe(perhaps in thier beer) the roos will beat brazil....:eek:

Have fun watching...

Bring on the 2007 rugby world cup...

c

alpinerabbit
06-17-2006, 04:33 AM
I can't stand the commercialization. Yes I watch a bit, all games are on every night and boyfriend watches - but I could not care less who wins.

I just read that a worker in a sweatshop gets 30 cents (Swiss) for each shirt she makes. They are sold for 100 CHF i stores. Yuck.

Wonder where my bike clothes are made.

crazycanuck
06-17-2006, 07:05 AM
I agree...I don't care who wins..can we please just get it over with???

I do notice where bike clothing is made...I am paying attention...

c

Trek420
06-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Is there a womens world cup?

Yes I notice where things are made. I've been known to buy stuff just 'cause it's made in USA, or Canada, or Italy (woops, that was the bike, need that :p ) or... people everywhere need jobs, I'd just like assurance that they were paid fairly and had fair working conditions.

So I'm sitting here at work with my to-go mug of Fair Trade Coffee from Ethiopia with organic soymilk :rolleyes:

salsabike
06-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes, there is a Women's World Cup. Chris and I went to the Rose Bowl in '99 to see the US team play the final against China--a fabulous game with great teams.

Sure, there's commercialization, and all kinds of other imperfections. That's true for the Tour de France, and any event that generates money, especially sporting events. But when they play, it is often still a remarkably beautiful game. I'd just as soon appreciate the good along with trying to do something about the bad.

Maybe the Socceroos will do it--you never know. Upsets happen. Don't think anyone expected France to do what they did in 98.

Rugby is THE thing in Wales too--even more than football. We had a long discussion with our hosts in Usk about why there is so much fan violence in football but so little in rugby. The theory was two fold: a) in rugby the violence happens on the field; b) they score more so fans are less frustrated. They said the atmosphere at rugby matches was totally different, much more family friendly, than at football matches, so if we go again in rugby season they'll take us to a game.

crazycanuck
06-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Salsa..the 2007 Rugby world cup is in France next year...If you can get tickets, def go & see either the All Blacks, The springbok (SA) or the wallabies (aust) play...

If you have sattelite TV..you may be able to see the replay of today's NZ-Ireland game..

Or if you want a really cool adventure...just travel to either Aust or NZ & go to a few games...

Right..about where things are made..May i suggest the book "how to end poverty" by jeffrey sachs..

I've just hijacked a thread on football/soccer...thread drift is like that some days.

c

Bron
06-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes, Rugby is soooooo much better than football. Besides which, Wales didn´t qualify for the football world cup, so I have nobody to cheer for.
I will admit though, the atmosphere is Munich has been pretty good so far, but I´m getting a bit fed up of footballs everywhere.

Bron

alpinerabbit
06-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I checked - most of my gear is Nalini, some Giordana, all made in Italy. PI is made in USA; my bike (Look) is french and my campy is italian, so I think worker's rights wise I'm sort of ok.

RoadRaven
06-17-2006, 11:56 AM
*whispers in rebellious tones*
Rugby of course is the only game of the football family... everything else is just folks running about on a field.

:p

crazycanuck
06-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Roadraven...:D ;) :D

kelownagirl
06-17-2006, 08:56 PM

I was wondering if there is a Womens Tour de France? (or the equivalent...)

barb

margo49
06-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Anything with a camera panning across
row of champions (male or female)
listening to national anthems
gets my vote

A friend of mine's Mother said "Why don't they give each of them a ball; then they wouldn't all have to chase after just the one?" Which is another reason rugby is better - there is a point to the ball (yeah, yeah funny-punny)

RoadRaven
06-18-2006, 01:00 AM
I was wondering if there is a Womens Tour de France? (or the equivalent...)

barb

Yes... there is... I have been googling for 15 minutes now... usually google is my friend... but not tonight... I have tried so many combinations... I even found a link to women's events sponsered by TE!!!

I found out that Barbara Heeb of Switzerland was the 1996 women's world champion and a second-place finisher in the 1997 women's Tour de France. (unfortunately her website is in Swiss)

I found that elite Aussie cyclist, Oenone has a link to TE on her website

There is also a women's giro, world cup and so on and so on... there must be a site with a list of these links??? Someone???

uk elephant
06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Here in the UK of course there is no escaping the World Cup. And BF watches all the games he can, so I end up watching some too. As much as I try avoiding it, I'm getting almost into football. Watched a bit of the Ghana - Check Republic game, which the Checks were meant to win easily. Ghana won of course, and what made it almost fun to watch was that the Ghana players seemed to really have fun. Big smiles all around.

Later last night we went to the pub where Italian (and French and Spanish) friends were watching Italy play USA. That was a game turned ugly! Three players sent off and frequently players stretchered off.

And in England's group, me and BF are of course cheering for Trinidad and Tobago. Go Soca Warriors! They are another team the really seem to play for the game, not for fame and sponsorship deals. And to them a draw against Sweden was celebrated as a win.

And on the topic of Rugby, BF tells me the reason it seems more civilised off the pitch is that is more of a middle class sport. The teams tend to be made up of people with higher degrees (doctors, professors, lawyers etc), rather than the working class football (soccer). It may be more violent on the pitch than football (in general), but they don't let it spill over off the pitch.

RoadRaven
06-18-2006, 01:19 AM
And on the topic of Rugby, BF tells me the reason it seems more civilised off the pitch is that is more of a middle class sport. The teams tend to be made up of people with higher degrees (doctors, professors, lawyers etc), rather than the working class football (soccer). It may be more violent on the pitch than football (in general), but they don't let it spill over off the pitch.

LOL... not in NZ... historically the All Blacks have been farmers, dock workers etc... its only since the sport turned professional (I still think that was a defining moment in the motivation of players - it no longer to wear the black jersey... its how much money can I make and I think thats sad...).

Historically (pre-professional/paid) alot of financial sacrifice has been made in order to have the honour of wearing the black jersey.

margo49
06-18-2006, 06:46 AM
There is this one-liner: Rugby is a game for louts played by gentlemen, while soccer is a game for gentlemen played by louts

Trek420
06-18-2006, 07:19 AM
margo49 "There is this one-liner: Rugby is a game for louts played by gentlemen, while soccer is a game for gentlemen played by louts"

in the States there's the joke:
Basketball is the game of the urban poor
Football (American football) is the game of the working class
Baseball is the game of the middle class
Tennis is the game of middle management
Golf is the game of executive and upper management
all of which proves....
the more money you make, the smaller your balls are :)

massbikebabe
06-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Trek...

LOVED THAT POST!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Anyway, I have been following the world cup because even the other free radical estrogen in this house is hooked!!!

By virtue of the fact that I grew up in an irish house and spent some time across the pond, I have to agree Rugby is the "REAL" football.

karen

Trek420
06-18-2006, 10:18 AM
and c'mon, although I'll admit I watch the 9'ers what's with American football? Play 10 seconds...off to the side, play 20 seconds...sitting on the side sucking on oxygen tank...play 30 seconds...on the bench under the spray mist machine...aw c'mon I know it takes skill and guts but all the resting?

Can you tell I was a football widow? the ex played defensive line in a womens league.

DirtDiva
06-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I'd love to see some American football players trying to stop Jerry Collins doing what Jerry Collins does best. That'd be great comedy! :D

I've seen snippets of the World Cup. I don't mind watching the odd bit of football, but I just can't bring myself to care.

jobob
06-18-2006, 12:01 PM

What, were you living under a rock or sumthin' when this happened? :D

http://cache.kotaku.com/gaming/vert.brandi.chastain.afp.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandi_Chastain

Forgot to add: The Women's World Cup will be held next year, in China

jobob
06-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I can't stand the commercialization. No offense AR, but I had to chuckle at your comment. You should see televised sports in the US, it's all about the commercials !

Someone somewhere commented that soccer/football hasn't really caught on in the US because games are not televised as much as for the other big US sports (US football, baseball, basketball). And why might that be? Probably because there are not all the lengthy timeouts in soccer, where commercials can be stuck in ($$ ka-ching $$) !

Ah, that said, there's lots of coverage of the World Cup right now and I'm getting sucked right in. What amazing athletes.

Just as well. I did a crazed kamikaze housecleaning run yesterday and I'm SORE today*, so all I'm good for is watching TV and wandering outside occadionally to work on evening up my tan lines.

* Proving once again that when you embark on an entirely new physical activity you should take it slow. ;)

kelownagirl
06-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes... there is... I have been googling for 15 minutes now... usually google is my friend... but not tonight... I have tried so many combinations... I even found a link to women's events sponsered by TE!!!

I found out that Barbara Heeb of Switzerland was the 1996 women's world champion and a second-place finisher in the 1997 women's Tour de France. (unfortunately her website is in Swiss)

I found that elite Aussie cyclist, Oenone has a link to TE on her website

There is also a women's giro, world cup and so on and so on... there must be a site with a list of these links??? Someone???

Is this it? When I typed in Tour Cycliste Féminin I got the French site. I can read some French but it's too much work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Boucle

barb

DirtDiva
06-18-2006, 01:11 PM
What, were you living under a rock or sumthin' when this happened? :D
Bwahahahaha. Nice. Illustrated smart arsing. :D How could you have missed that Trek?

Trek420
06-18-2006, 01:50 PM
"Nice. Illustrated smart arsing. :D How could you have missed that Trek?"

oh my my my, very nice reminder, thanks! I was just trying to get you to post the pic

jobob "Someone somewhere commented that soccer/football hasn't really caught on in the US because games are not televised as much as for the other big US sports (US football, baseball, basketball). And why might that be? Probably because there are not all the lengthy timeouts in soccer, where commercials can be stuck in ($$ ka-ching $$) !"

I thought it was because while American football players are athletes (despite my comment above about the breaks and stuff) the average person sitting, watching the game over pizza, chips and beer identifies more with the size and shape of say the late Reggie White. Couldn't do what he did but we're talking big, strong guy with a gut.

While we see soccer players full out sprinting running non stop without breaks or switching players...can't fathom it.

KnottedYet
06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Women's Ultimate Frisbee. Now, there's some scenery...

http://ultimate.stanford.edu/superfly/index.html

Ultimate players run even more than soccer players. I tried to play. Once.

Frisbee (Disc) Golf is more my speed. And yes Trek, golf discs are smaller. :)

crazycanuck
06-18-2006, 08:23 PM
TLKIWI...I'd love to see some american footballers up against jery collins, kees meews & most of the crusaders

Rugby's cool. The guys don't need helmets to score a try.

c

Bron
06-18-2006, 11:11 PM
For news of women's pro cycling I found this:
http://www.womenscycling.net/index.html

Bron

uk elephant
06-19-2006, 01:01 AM
LOL... not in NZ... historically the All Blacks have been farmers, dock workers etc... its only since the sport turned professional (I still think that was a defining moment in the motivation of players - it no longer to wear the black jersey... its how much money can I make and I think thats sad...).

Historically (pre-professional/paid) alot of financial sacrifice has been made in order to have the honour of wearing the black jersey.

Of course there are many varieties of Rugby. I still haven't figured out what the difference is, but it appears to me that some are more rough/violent than others. So far I have heard of Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Rugby Sevens....any I've missed?

And I agree, American Football players wouldn't stand a chance in a Rugby game. Fast paced, violent and with minimal protection. Just a bit of tape to keep the ears from being torn off.

And someone mentioned the Irish and their Rugby. Have you seen Hurling? Now there's another violent sport. Wooden ball and big wooden sticks with metal bands. And there are apparently no rules against hitting your oponent across the back with the stick.

DirtDiva
06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Touch rugby. Not generally violent, but very fast.

susiej
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I will admit though, the atmosphere is Munich has been pretty good so far, but I´m getting a bit fed up of footballs everywhere.

Which is why I can stand watching it. ;) It's every four years and most of America doesn't know it exists. Plus 45 minutes of play without commercial interruptions.

The year my son was born, the local team was in the Super Bowl. I REALLY wanted to deliver during the game to avoid all the nonsense. Most of the OBs in my practice are women, so I hoped there would be little chance of the doc being distracted. As it was, the little guy showed up a few days before that. At least our team lost, and I didn't spend our first night at home with crazed fans honking outside my front door.

Jones
06-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Once, when I was channel surfing, I saw the All Blacks doing their pre-game Maori war dance and I must say I have had quite a fondness for Rugby every since. :)

crazycanuck
06-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Ummm it's called the HAKA...It's not meant to be a "war dance"-it's symply a sybmol of challenge to the other team...

Roadraven & other kiwis could tell ya...

c

Trekhawk
06-19-2006, 02:59 PM
www.piccom.org/dancesoflife/newzealand2.html

Check out this site for info on the Haka.:)

Bron
06-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Hmm, this is interesting. We are supposed to work until 17:00, but there is not a German to be seen in the office. Let's just check who is playing.......ah yes, what a coincidence - Germany! So I guess all of my colleagues are in a beer garden.

Bron

salsabike
06-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey! The Socceroos made it through to the next round! Congrats, you guys.

arnaew
06-22-2006, 11:32 PM
I LOVE football (soccer). I follow my local team (Adelaide United) avidly, as well as the Adelaide Sensation (women's team). I've barely slept over the past fortnight, either getting up at crazy hours or retiring at ridiculous hours, and I'm having so much fun. As for Australia's performance - we were happy (read ecstatic) that we made it to the first cut, and then scored the first goals ever in a World Cup series. But after beating Croatia to the final 16 last night, well, we're okay if we don't win any more (although Italy shouldn't feel too relaxed come Monday night). Soccer is the largest participant sport for young people (mixed) in Australia, just behind netball/basketball (primarily women). But as players get older, depending on which state they're in, they generally have to play with the dominant codes (Rugby League/Union in Queensland and New South Wales, Australian Rules Football in South Australia, Victoria and West Australia). Australia's performance in this competition is being seen a real breakthrough for the World Game in this country, as the only football code that is played nationally, and of course internationally, unlike AFL. Which is all kind of weird, considering that the majority of our population comes from (or is descended from) soccer playing nations such as the UK and just about every country in Europe (there were three Australian born footballers in the Croation team against Australia). Oh, this is a bit long - but I am a bit of a tragic, :o and it's just fantastic to see football getting the coverage it deserves for a change! :D
A

salsabike
06-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I think it's fabulous, especially because of the unfairness that left them out of the Cup four years ago. So go Socceroos and fans!