PDA

View Full Version : A saddle that fits feels like...

Nokomis
06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm getting overly frustrated with saddles.

If your saddle fits, lasts long rides, and doesn't leave you wondering the entire ride that there might be a better fit out there... How does it feel? How did you know that you had THE saddle for You?

my whine: I tried a new saddle on Thursday, felt the sit bones the whole time, and felt the blood get cut off. I got out of the saddle frequently, but even then by the time I got home & stood up, I felt all the blood returning to that region.

I picked up a new saddle today ~ put the bike on the trainer stand & adjusted the old, just to make sure. Jumped on, and Yikes! are my sit bones bruise?! Changed to newest saddle - felt a little better, but still very evident where my sit bones hit. Kept rotating thru - back to an old "came with the bike" that I don't even know which of our bikes it originated from - but at least with that it didn't scream at me when I sat down. It's not great, but I think it's the best w/out taking it on a long test ride (that's later.

How will I know when I find the right one? I'm waiting for the day I sit & don't even think about what's holding me up... is that too high of a standard?

mimitabby
06-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm getting overly frustrated with saddles.

If your saddle fits, lasts long rides, and doesn't leave you wondering the entire ride that there might be a better fit out there... How does it feel? How did you know that you had THE saddle for You?

my whine: I tried a new saddle on Thursday, felt the sit bones the whole time, and felt the blood get cut off. I got out of the saddle frequently, but even then by the time I got home & stood up, I felt all the blood returning to that region.

I picked up a new saddle today ~ put the bike on the trainer stand & adjusted the old, just to make sure. Jumped on, and Yikes! are my sit bones bruise?! Changed to newest saddle - felt a little better, but still very evident where my sit bones hit. Kept rotating thru - back to an old "came with the bike" that I don't even know which of our bikes it originated from - but at least with that it didn't scream at me when I sat down. It's not great, but I think it's the best w/out taking it on a long test ride (that's later.

How will I know when I find the right one? I'm waiting for the day I sit & don't even think about what's holding me up... is that too high of a standard?

Since your sitting bones are probably bruised, even a reallly good saddle is going to feel a little uncomfortable for a while.
But after a while, you're going to notice that it's not getting worse.

Eden
06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I think that sore sit bones are normal - until I started riding very regularly, I'm talking 5-6 days per week I always had sit bone soreness on the day after a long ride. After I did a 2 week tour and with mostly every day riding I don't ever feel that anymore.
I've also recently started using a new saddle and I am feeling a bit of discomfort that I'm hoping/ assuming will go away once I break in my backside to the new configuration. Otherwise its very comfy - doesn't touch any soft parts that it should not.

mimitabby
06-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Since your sitting bones are probably bruised, even a reallly good saddle is going to feel a little uncomfortable for a while.
But after a while, you're going to notice that it's not getting worse.

anyway, (i wasn't finished) if you are swollen, red, bleeding there is something seriously wrong.
the whole idea of a bike saddle is wrong for women's crotches but there are some that are less damaging than others.

Please read the threads about the Brooks b67..
I did 100 miles on my new one with only 2 rides before that to "break it in"
it's not broken in yet but it is definitely COMFORTABLE.

velogirl
06-16-2006, 03:49 PM
I have to disagree. With a good saddle, your sit bones shouldn't hurt, even if you only ride a few times a week.

When you find a good saddle, it feels like you're not sitting on a saddle. It's not too squishy or too hard. It's not too wide or too narrow. It supports your pelvic region in a very unobtrusive way.

If you haven't found a saddle that you can't feel, then you should keep looking. I happen to believe that with the plethora of saddles on the market, there should be one for everyone.

Nokomis
06-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, I think I found one that is "it" for now! I made it 51 miles, without complaining about the seat. Even after our little break half way (including the bald eagle that was perched on a nearby tree!) it felt - dare I say - good to get back on the bike! It wasn't till mile 49 that I felt the need to get out of the saddle, but I'm thinking that's more because the chamois was bunching up front rather than the seat causing probs.

I was even able to shower, wash off everything w/out pain, and not have to fuss with special non-irritating undies after ~ hooray! :D

velogirl
06-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Here's a little chamois tip.

Wear the smallest size shorts you can squeeze your butt into! Really.

Too often I see women in the bike shop buying shorts that are a size or two too large because they're modest about wearing spandex. Well, when your shorts are too big, your chamois will move around (or bunch up). One of the best things you can do to improve your saddle comfort is wear tight shorts. Think of your shorts as a second skin.

DrBee
06-19-2006, 04:47 AM
So - what saddle is it???? Pics please :)

Nokomis
06-19-2006, 06:53 AM
It's a Velo Plush - however, based on a google search that's a grossly generic name, used for many, many seats. I'm gonna have to find more detail to search for when I check out my bike tonight.

I do agree w/ the shorts comments - the lycra is way up my back, and the chamois in the butt is very noticable off the bike - feel like a duck's tail wagging away :p I'll try my other shorts next ride ~ nothin like constantly digging out a frontal weggie to make cycling fun :rolleyes:

SalsaMTB
06-20-2006, 05:31 AM
When I got the WTB SST 2K, it felt like is what gently holding my tush instead of me sitting on a saddle. Glad you were able to find the right one! People always say there is a break in period, but I swear, when I first sat on my now favorite saddle, it was like night and day. I couldn't even feel my sitbones!