PDA

View Full Version : Next phase

trekchic
09-24-2003, 05:12 AM
I got my bike about 3 weeks ago. I have been riding it steadily, at least 3 times a week. I am able to keep my speed up in the 12-13 mph range for an average. I am just getting my legs underneath me, I know.........but I can't seem to move to the next phase! I can ride about 45 minutes at that pace and then I feel like I've had enough. I am in good shape, can walk 5+ miles at a brisk pace (and do so about 3 times a week).

I just need to find out how to increase the time in the saddle without feeling like I have run a marathon! Do you just do it? Just keep increasing the distance and slow down a little? I feel like the pace I am riding is doable........just need more time!

I have some hills to climb in my area, too. I try to maintain a consistant speed while climbing, I try to sprint every once in a while (can't do too many of those yet!) just to test myself. I can sprint at 21 mph right now.......that's the max for me!

HELP!!!!!!!!!! I thought I would move faster than this!!!!!!

Kim in TN

trekchic
09-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Oh, I have another question to add to this topic:

Do any of you find that you do better when riding with another person? I am terrified of dogs! I find myself riding the same route all the time because of that fear. But, when I am with someone else, I seem to get a little braver and go a different route.

Maybe that is my problem.........boredom! Maybe I am coming in early because I am tired of the route I am riding........... could be!

But, I know I am not ready to ride in a group setting. The girl I ride with mostly has been riding for 5 years and slows down a little for me. She is teaching me how to shift and when, how to climb and how to ride in a group or pace line. I just need more practice before joining in on a group ride!

Kim in TN

Veronica
09-24-2003, 05:32 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track to me. Maybe add in another day if you can and go somewhere different.

Veronica

annie
09-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Kim,

Sounds like you are doing fine. It takes time to make improvements that are noticable. If you can ride for 45 minutes comfortably now, I would suggest jumping that up to hour rides. It's only another 15 minutes, and I think you could do that without too much problem. After you are okay with that, maybe a couple weeks, try adding another 15 minutes to your ride. Etc, etc. etc. I don't know where you are from or if riding throughout the year is an option for you. If it is, you can gradually increase distance over the winter and be totally ready for spring. If not, do what you can before it gets too cold or snowy and then find a winter activity that you can keep in shape with. If you can do some indoor cycling, that helps. And in the spring get back out there, start out easy and gradually increase your efforts. I have always heard and read that it takes a good year of cycling to get your "cycling legs". Not sure what that means, but I take it too mean that your legs are accustomed to the motion of cycling, the muscles you need to develop are in shape to ride. You have a decent pedaling stroke (tho' that's something that can always be worked on.) In other words, riding a bike feels comfortable and right to you. I don't mean that to be discouraging! A year sounds like a long time, but it's really not. You'll be amazed at how much you will improve. And then you will be the one helping other new riders and welcoming them to a wonderful cycling lifestyle.

emily_in_nc
09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi Kim,

I really did not start improving my speed on the bike until I started doing bike club rides and events. Watching and riding with all the other cyclists helped me push it to the next level. Is there a bike club in your area? Mine offers many "C" pace rides, which are 13-15 mph. After the "new member/beginner" rides (10-12 mph) I did last year just to get my feet wet, I graduated to the regular C paced rides this spring and had a blast. You could definitely hang at the back of one of those just fine. When I first started out, that's where I was too. Now I am at the back of B-paced rides (16-18 mph). I started riding again about 1.5 years ago after a many-year hiatus.

Also, longer organized events are so much fun and challenging that you'll find you are much stronger a afterwards, when your muscles have healed. I trained for and completed my first three centuries this year (2 flat, one moderately rolling). I didn't go fast on any of them, just wanted to finish. But I felt stronger after each one, and found that my speed improved quite a bit on the shorter club rides I did after them.

Finally, riding with someone who pushes and challenges you just a bit (for me it's my husband) makes a big difference. It's easy to be a bit too easy on yourself when you ride alone. However, I still enjoy riding alone from time to time - total freedom!

And give it time! You're doing just fine for a newbie! :)

Emily

MightyMitre
09-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi Kim

I know it's frustration if you feel you're not progressing fast enough but what's the hurry?

I'd agree with some of the other posts when they say it may take up to a year to be able to ride for long distances at a brisk pace, but if you think about it, it's bound to. Cycle fitness ,in general, is all about endurance and unfortunately there's no short cuts to having a good endurance base. It all takes time.

Riding with a group or with someone who's slightly stronger than you is a good idea as it does help you to push yourself, however you must make sure you take things gradually, otherwise you'll end up working too hard and burning yourself out. Your motivation will also suffer as you start to associate cycling with discomfort and struggle.

My advice would be to take a chill-pill and not be too hard on yourself. Why not try adding on 5-10 minutes to you ride each week to increase the duration, but unless you want to specialize in sprinting, don't worry too much about the pace for the time being as this will come over time as your strength develops.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race ( when it comes to endurance training ;)) The improvement will be gradual and you may not feel like you're progressing but give it time - months rather than weeks - and you'll be amazed at how well you're doing.

Oh yes ,and enjoy your riding.:)

hibiscus09
09-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Kim,

No need to rush things. You're doing great! :) I do find that I ride faster when riding with others. Join a cycling club if possible.

As for the dogs, I'm scared to death of them -- and was definitely harrassed by a huge husky this past weekend while riding in an MS150 -- but I survived. :) I was actually with my sister, but it doesn't really matter if someone is with you or not. LOL She just kept saying that's one mean dog & he really doesn't like you. :D I do wish I had some pepper spray on me -- I would have sprayed him. He was biting at me & that's no fun. Usually, though, they bark more than anything. I think they're more interested in the turning wheels of the bike than anything else, and protecting their domain. Just get out of their territory as quickly as possible.

DoubleLori
09-25-2003, 02:44 AM
It's generally agreed among cycling coaches that you can safely increase your mileage about 10% per week. This means you can double your mileage in 7 weeks, quadruple it in 14 weeks, and increase it by 8-fold in 21 weeks. So, you can go from being able to ride for about 12 miles in an hour to riding a century in about 5 months if you work at it gradually and regularly. And it only takes another 7 weeks beyond that to get to a double century (200 miles in one day)! Just keep at it!

trekchic
09-25-2003, 05:29 AM
You guys are such great motivators and encouragers!

I have started riding with someone and you guys were right... she pushes me! She is teaching me about shifting and stuff like that. I think I will be ready to ride a beginner ride next week. They have one on Tuesday; I'll let you know. I did join the local bike club (www.murfreesborobike.com) and have had sooooo many people ask me to ride with them! That makes me feel better about joining in, I guess because they all know I am a beginner and still want me to ride with them.

I am increasing my mileage by 10-15% each week. Today, I am supposed to ride a 15+ mile route with the girl who has been teaching me so far. Let you know tomorrow!

Thanks again..........Kim

caligurl
07-01-2004, 08:41 AM
i carry a special dog mace with me when i ride. not that i'm steady enough on the bike yet to use it!

i do notice that a lot less of the neighborhood dogs pay attention to me on my bike as opposed to EVERY dog barking at us when we are walking with our dogs!

i still avoid the street that has the pit bull that charged us.. no need to take chances...