PDA

View Full Version : Local Newspaper Articles

Deborajen
06-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Our local newspaper has run a couple articles the last few weeks on cycling in our area. It was good to see those. In the first article, the author rode the entire bike path system and reported on the conditions, the hazards, the need for more paths, etc. The second article was about drivers needing to share the road with cyclists. Yes!! It was well-written and it addressed the importance of safety and cooperation not only from drivers but from cyclists as well.

Unfortunately, what really stood out about the second article, which was on the front page of the paper, was the picture -- a cyclist riding without a helmet. Why oh why? The editorials have been full of comments about that - how "cyclists are reckless and dart in front of cars, and most of them don't even wear helmets - like the guy in the picture."

I do hope they run more articles. Just so they don't ruin it with bad pictures.

Deb

AuntieK
06-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Good for your newspaper, on the article bit anyway! Too bad about the photo.
I recently fired off a letter to the editor of my local newspaper about the lack of cycling related stuff they include in the paper. We had just had a huge tour/cycling festival in our area, and not a mention of it in the paper. I was pretty urked! BTW-they didn't print my letter either...I think someone at the paper must have something against cycling.
Anyway, I'm glad to see that somewhere cycling is getting some press recognition.

Deanna
06-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, what really stood out about the second article, which was on the front page of the paper, was the picture -- a cyclist riding without a helmet. Why oh why? The editorials have been full of comments about that - how "cyclists are reckless and dart in front of cars, and most of them don't even wear helmets - like the guy in the picture."

I do hope they run more articles. Just so they don't ruin it with bad pictures.

Deb

I noticed that newspapers often show photos of cyclists without helmets, and I think it has something to do with the photographer just thinking its a better portrait. We usually don't get the "don't even wear helmets" comments as they are only required for minors in California. Though ANYTIME there is an article about cycling it generates similar letters to the editor from people who don't ride. Drives me nuts!!