PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding a Trek Pilot?

Ciao
06-13-2006, 01:56 PM
First question(s) - Is anyone is riding any version of the Trek Pilot WSD; What do you think of it? and why?

Second question - why'd they only combo the s.p.a and WSD on the 5.2? Anyone have the skinny on these variables?

Thanks!

Fitmiss
06-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I have a Trek Pilot 5.0 and love my bike!! It enabled me to buy a carbon bike with full size 700 c tires as I am only 5'2" Several women in my bike club also own a Pilot and really like their bikes. It is light, rides smoothly and is comfortable. Overall, its a great bike with a good quality frame and can easily be upgraded if you choose.

I can't comment on the model combos.

beckt
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I picked up a trek pilot 5.0 last week, my legs are long, and I am tallish so the WSD did not fit. The store fit the bike to me- changing out the stem, adding shims, making minor adjustments. I am very! pleased with the ride. I was looking at the 2.1, but the store had a "last years" bike available - so I bit the bullet and spent the money. I am glad I did. Carbon is nice.

Sparky
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a trek 5.2 spa but not wsd. I had to make some adjustments on the handlebars, other than that it fits great. The ride is smooth. The more upright position took a little getting used to but I am over that. I think it is a great bike.

Ciao
06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Fitmiss, is your bike a WSD or a standard frame like beckt's & Sparky's? I haven't gotten fitted yet for a bike, but I have long legs, am very short waisted, have mid'ish to long length arms, and small hands/bones, so I'm guessing that WSD is going to be best for me.

Sparky, what do you think of the s.p.a. feature now that you've had your bike for a bit? Does it add value in your opinion or is it more of a 'marketing' spin? How much more "upright" is the bike?

For all of you, do you feel that the Pilot has more of a "touring" feel to it given it's more upright nature?

I'm over in Italy and it's not like I can run to a local bike shop and try one of these babies out :(

DrBee
06-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I just saw this thread. I have a Pilot 2.1 WSD. I love it! It has a nice smooth ride, good components, great frame, and wasn't too pricey. It wasn't nearly as stiff as other bikes that I testrode.

Sparky
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes I think the spa is worth the extra money. It isn't too much more & makes for a very smooth ride. I never know quite how to describe the feeling when you hit a bump, a bounce I guess. The "upright" position was just different.
I am liking it now that I have ridden it more.

It does sound like your body type would be more comfortable on WSD my body type is the opposite. Short legs with long torso. I did switch to a shorter stem & narrower handlebars.

Ciao
06-19-2006, 02:24 PM
with long torso
Ahhhh, lucky you! :D I can barely fit 2 finger widths between the top of my hips and the bottom of my ribs. And of course, guess where all my weight sits... ugh.

Ok - WSD with SPA... I'm looking for a comfortable road bike for performance/speed (need to keep up with the extreme athlete husband of mine) that will also allow me to do some minor touring as well. So far, this one seems to be a good fit - at least on paper.

Is there anything that you gals don't like about the bike or wish was different?

fishdr - since I've only had a MTB I'm not so sure that I understand the 'stiffness' variable I've read through this forum. Would you mind explaining what stiffness provides in a riding experience?

withm
06-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Is there anything that you gals don't like about the bike or wish was different?

I have a 5.2. I love it. I just wish it had been CHEAPER! :)

boxer
06-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Ciao,
I have the entry level Trek Pilot 1.2 in the WSD model and I love it. I have always had a mountain bike, but for the biking I was doing; everyone said I needed a road bike. The Pilot seemed like the perfect next step. I find it comfortable and just right for me. I'm 5'3" and about 130 lbs. I have a very short torso, but fairly long legs for someone so short. The bike seems to have good components and handles and shifts well. I don't feel so stretched out like I have before on road bikes. If you can afford the SPA, I say go for it! That would be my perfect bike! But for the price, the 1.2 is really great. I test road both the standard model and the WSD and I definitely liked the WSD. Good luck with your bike purchase.:)

DrBee
06-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Stiffness to me feels harder over bumps. Not as smooth of a ride. There is stiffness and stability, which can be related but are different. Confused??? I rode a Giant TCR (don't remember which model) and it felt really stable, but way too stiff for me. Stability is hard to describe, but the LBS guy thought it was a good term. The front end of the bike seemed less wiggly. That's probably not a good term. How about less motion/less fluid/less flexible. See - hard to describe. It was not a bad thing. I ended up with the Pilot because it felt right. It was a smooth and comfortable ride and the geometry worked for me. When I took my bike into the LBS after the crash, the owner did the testride after the repair. He even commented on what a smooth ride it was.

I can't really comment on the upright position. I don't feel terribly upright. My seat sits just above the handlebars. I came from riding a hybrid, so anything with a lower body position from that felt aerodynamic to me. :)

Fitmiss
06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Fitmiss, is your bike a WSD or a standard frame like beckt's & Sparky's? I haven't gotten fitted yet for a bike, but I have long legs, am very short waisted, have mid'ish to long length arms, and small hands/bones, so I'm guessing that WSD is going to be best for me.

Sparky, what do you think of the s.p.a. feature now that you've had your bike for a bit? Does it add value in your opinion or is it more of a 'marketing' spin? How much more "upright" is the bike?

For all of you, do you feel that the Pilot has more of a "touring" feel to it given it's more upright nature?

I'm over in Italy and it's not like I can run to a local bike shop and try one of these babies out :(

My bike is a WSD. I'm 5'2" and have longer legs and a shorter torso in comparison to others of my same height. My frame is a 50 CM and works great for me.

Ciao
06-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to tell me about your Pilots. I'm all the more excited about it ... and trying to find a location to try one if possible. I'm not brave enough to order it w/o a test ride. :p