PDA

View Full Version : Plyometrics

Dogmama
09-16-2003, 04:28 AM
Has anybody tried plyometrics? If so, what does it do for you? Is it more than jumping onto steps? I'm told that it is good for explosive power - like dodging stupid drivers!

han-grrl
09-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I've had plyometrics in my strength training program. yes it is more than jumping on steps. yes it works explosive power.

this site will answer a lot of your questions:
http://www.weightsnet.com/Docs/plyometrics.html

sfrantz50
12-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I have been doing plyo's for over three years now. If you want to be a competetive cyclist/triathlete this is a must. My legs are so much stronger and I have so much more power on climbs. I can pass most women and men in my age group like they are standing still. There are lots of programs out there, so just search online.

hellosunshine
12-15-2006, 02:17 PM
how about skipping?is that the same sort of thing?

Kathi
12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I use the Sportsmetrics program developed at Cincinnati Sports Medicine for women in sports. http://www.sportsmetrics.net/

"It's a progressive plyometrics program that addresses specific problems noted with female athletes and jumping. The focus is on overall leg strength and improving balance and strength from the front to the back of the thigh" (Sportsmetrics technique and training manual).

My reason for using the program is for ski conditioning but it is more commonly used for women who play basketball and soccer.

rocknrollgirl
12-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Kathi,
which video do you use?

Kathi
12-16-2006, 06:28 AM
Rockinrollgirl,

I got this DVD, Volumes I, II and III as a set, $90 (One DVD). Also available in VHS.

I went to an info session on preventing ski injuries at REI and the presenter is using this program. I'm from Cincy and have known about this program but thought it was for Soccer and Basketball players. I didn't relate it to other sports.

In my ski conditioning class we do some jumping. The instructor looks like a well oiled pogo stick. I feel like a rusty pogo stick. :)

I use the warmups everytime I ski or exercise, and the plyometrics 3x's a week and am seeing improvements. I also felt some muscles after the 1st couple of sessions.

I haven't been on the bike since I started this program so I can't vouch for any biking improvements.

I've tried plyometrics before and my knees hurt so I quit, but with this program I don't notice my knees bothering me. Proper alignment is the key.

hellosunshine
12-16-2006, 10:03 AM
im on an an ti tv phase so ive no DVD OR VIDEO!!!!..........didnt think itd last for long,maybe as its bike related time to break my "fast"gave up in august!

Kathi
12-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I use the dvd on my laptop, easy to setup in front of a mirror to watch my alignment.