PDA

View Full Version : Bike maintenance & repair books/guides

Cari
06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi guys,

Can any of you recommend a bike maintenance and repair book or guide? I was looking at Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair, and Complete Bike Maintenance by Fred Milson. Have any of you used those?

Cleaning the bike, lubing the chain, patching a tube, changing pedals, switching out saddles... that's as technical as I've gotten with my bike. I'm not very familiar with names of small parts on the bike, either. But I'd really like to learn a bit more so that I don't have to rely on others or go running to the LBS all the time.

Thanks in advance,

Cari

CorsairMac
06-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I got the one put out by Bicyling Magazine: it not only uses Real photos so you can compare your bike part with an actual photo, but it covers all bikes from road to recumbent. I've used it so much it now has grease on some of the pages!

Trekhawk
06-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I got the one put out by Bicyling Magazine: it not only uses Real photos so you can compare your bike part with an actual photo, but it covers all bikes from road to recumbent. I've used it so much it now has grease on some of the pages!

Yep we have this one too. We also have the Park one and between the two I think we have most things covered.

KnottedYet
06-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I love the Big Blue Book. The layout and photos are set up just the way I need to learn. Check each book out of the library and spend some quality time with them, and buy a copy of the one you like best (or a copy of each!)

My only beef with the BBB is that the binding is cheap and is cracking. Or maybe that's because I've used it too much.

KnottedYet
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Whoa, Deja vu! Wasn't this thread with these exact replies around already? Like last month? Ooooh, my brain is melting!

Triskeliongirl
06-09-2006, 06:35 AM
I like the Lenard Zinn books a lot.