PDA

View Full Version : Unusual adventure

Kathi
09-04-2001, 05:31 PM
Not sure if this is an adventure or a mishap. I was riding along the Ohio river last monday trying to unwind from the 1st day of school (I'm a teacher). A motorcycle was coming toward me, speeding of course (40-50mphs) the guy gunned the cycle and when he did a plastic case flew off the cycle and started flying down the center of the road. I went to the right to avoid it but it bounced open and headed at an angle straight towards me. I was going about 17mph and there was no time to stop. I had the shoulder of the road or an open grassy field. I was afraid to hit the grass at that speed so I figured that if I got in the right spot the case could hit my foot and bounce off. So I sped up, got my feet in the ready position and let the case hit the side of my foot. It glanced off , went the other way and I kept on riding. Riders behind me said the guy came back looking for his case but I was long gone. I was determined that my bike was not going to get scratched. I'm amazed how cool and calm I was and how I calculated the timing of when the case would hit me.
The bike was not damaged but now my little toe hurts! That's the closest I've ever come to a serious accident.
Kathi

DoubleLori
09-04-2001, 08:19 PM
I was riding my bike a few years back, on a tour to Yosemite, and a very large motorhome passed me in the opposite direction. Right as it passed me, its retractable awning and awning frame that must have weighed a couple of hundred pounds broke off and fell to the ground. Fortunately, it missed me. If it had hit me, I have no doubt that I would have been killed or seriously injured. So weird!

J**
04-19-2002, 09:53 AM
I read last year an account of a cyclist being passed by a pickup truck when a dog bounced out of the back when the truck hit a bump. The flying dog only narrowly missed the cyclist. Yikes!