PDA

View Full Version : Renting vs Buying a wetsuit

triathfirstimer
06-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi,
Has anyone rented a wetsuit before? I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in 3 weeks and the swim part is in the ocean. I'm considering renting because I'm in the process of losing weight, and am hoping by the next event in September, I'll at least be down into the next lower size of wetsuit (though that may be a little optomistic). I really would like a good wetsuit though that improves buouancy and all that good stuff, and am a little worried about the quality of wetsuits provided on a rental basis (and the creepyness factor of being in an old suit that a bunch of people have worn and sweated in:eek: ).

should i just suck it up and buy a good one, and then sell it used when i go down a size?

Any thoughts?
Thank you!

ladyfish
06-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I'd say to rent if you can find one that fits and will work for the tri. If you expect to need a different size soon, you will lose money if you buy one then have to sell it used.

The main factor is availability of rentals. If it fits, rent for now!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ladyfish
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
PS: if you rent and are worried about the sweat factor, fill up your tub with warm water and add antibacterial soap (like dial liquid). Swish the suit around it the tub and get it all sudsy. Let it soak for awhile (I leave mine in overnight). Rinse. Then let it hang dry. It will smell good, and you will feel better knowing it's clean!!!

triathfirstimer
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
thanks! it seems most rentals ship their suits to you... is there a way of telling if it will fit?

KnottedYet
06-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I just bought my wetsuit from my LKS (local kayak shop). I knew how it felt to swim in that particular suit, cuz I had used one in a self-rescue class through the shop. Purchasing the suit ($100) cost less than renting it a few times ($15 a pop) It is a kayaking specific suit: non-slip butt, padded knees, front and ankle zips, low neck.

But let's be honest here- I kayak more than I tri and I don't have a lot of money. (and what I do have I'd rather spend on my commuter-mobile:D )

If I hadn't already known how the suit worked for me, I doubt I'd have bought it. It's hard to know how a wetsuit really fits until you get it into the water. (and I gave away my scuba wetsuit long ago, so I really did need to buy a new one)

Rent a suit or two until you find one you love. Then consider buying a new one of the same make. If you end up a size smaller by the next tri, good for you! Sell it on EBay or donate it to your local Team Survivor, and get the next size down.

A good wetsuit is a good thing to have. Like a pair of really good hiking boots. They open up opportunities. (Hike that mountain? Sure! Swim in that cold lake? Sure!)

Tri Girl
06-11-2006, 11:24 AM
It's not the sweat in the wetsuit that grosses me out- it's the pee. Let's face it, most people will do it in their wetsuit in the water vs. getting out, pulling down the wet wetsuit, finding a porta-potty, then trying to get a wet wetsuit back on. Not likely, ugghhh. :p

I'd agree with the others and rent one until you find a size/style that you like. I bought one off of ebay for $20, wore it a few times, didn't like it (neoprene was too thick) then bought another for $40. I like the newer one better than the first. I could spend $250 on the QR I like really well, but I'll take someone's old urine suit if it saves me $210 buckaroos.

I think once you do your first tri, you'll be hooked, so you can spend money on a really good suit once you know what works for you.

Best of luck on your first tri. I always swim so much faster and easier in a wetsuit than without. They really do what they're supposed to. :)

Be sure to post your race report when you finish!!!

triflor
06-14-2006, 09:05 AM
some tri shops that rent wet suits also sell their rentals at the end of the season. its a good way to get a wet suit that is tri-specific at a decent price. Most rental locations take good care of the wetsuits (ie. clean) b/c of how much they are worth.

Peeing in a wetsuit will actually help you stay warm if the water is cold. I do a lot of tris in cold lakes and if you don't pee it takes a long time to get the water in the wet suit warmed up.