PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Pepper as a weapon

li10up
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
So a friend of mine and I are crusin' back to our vehicles after a very pleasant ride and just chatting away. Next thing we know a loaded Dr. Pepper can was tossed at us - a Dr. Pepper grenade! The dude in the car was in his late 20s or so and had no reason to throw a half full can at us. He was going about 40, we were going about 15...that's a combined speed of 55 mph if the thing would have hit us. The good news is that I spoke to a friend of mine that works for the county sheriff's dept. He said that if it happens again to be sure I get the license plate number and he'll take care of it. Good to know that something will happen to these guys - if I can think fast enough to get the plate number. These things just happen so fast that they (the drivers) are past you before you can even react.

Deanna
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I recently had a Mt. Dew can tossed at me. Got the license and filed a report with the bike coalition. Was a little unsure about filing with the police as they missed (people who toss sodas at cyclists are gratefully unable to compensate for our movement). I guess they could always get them for littering which is a $1000 fine around here!

Quillfred
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Seems like an attempted assault at the very least.

Geonz
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Assault is still assault... if it had been shooting a gun and missing... depends on exaclty what the local laws are, but it's worth at least bending the ears of the constabularies. They are known to be utterly apathetic (kinda like teachers when they think a parent wants too much because they have so many kids with "real prblems") ... but a flea in the ear is at least one flea.
The main thing is, the next time the guy might not miss (or he may get more creative); if his license plate is on record already... but don't really get your hopes up on them doing something even wtih the license plate, 'cause all the other driver usually has to do is lie.

mimitabby
06-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I recently had a Mt. Dew can tossed at me. Got the license and filed a report with the bike coalition. Was a little unsure about filing with the police as they missed (people who toss sodas at cyclists are gratefully unable to compensate for our movement). I guess they could always get them for littering which is a $1000 fine around here!
boy, Deanna, if too much time has not gone by, i think you ought to report this! it IS attempted assault! The next time their aim might be better!

Jennifer
06-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a not so secret desire to get a license to carry and keep a handgun in a shoulder holster whenever I ride road.

I have not ridden on the road by myself in almost a year. Last time I did, my imagination got away from me and I got to thinking of all the horrible things that could happen to a woman on the side of the road in the country. If people are viscous enough to throw half full cans of pop, or try to run you off the road, surely some cretin would do more than that after he knocked you unconscious in a ditch in the country with no one to watch but the cows.