PDA

View Full Version : Backing up around the corner?

Lise
06-01-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm cruising home tonight, happy that I got in over 20 miles in riding around town. It's ~10 PM, and the street south of me is lively. Roscoe, to be specific. Lovely little neighborhood. Several restaurants, gelato shop, etc, Chicagoans enjoying a little spring at last. I'm riding at a reasonable pace, since there are so many variables with which to contend.

And then, the entirely unexpected: An SUV backing up, fast, around the corner, coming straight at me. He wanted a parking space about 1/2 a block behind him. Why go around the block, when you can just BACK UP AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I yelled, "HEY! WATCH OUT!" and swerved to avoid him. Fortunately, the drivers behind me also saw this circus act coming, and slowed down.

Sheesh! Again, I say, SHEESH!

Grog
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Ooooh, glad you're okay.

Reminds us all to be extra careful and predictable not only on the bike, but also behind the other wheel!!

Geonz
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Okay, I might just order those megamagnets, which my theory is would be enough to foul up the computers of a car if you held it near enough to the engine for a while! Then once that guy had parked... (So if you read about a person who broke her hand with a magnet she can't let go of for some reason, that'll be me - the reaosn I don't engage in brilliant criminal acts is 'cuase I'll always forget some detail... )

bikerz
06-02-2006, 02:39 PM
the reaosn I don't engage in brilliant criminal acts is 'cuase I'll always forget some detail...
Wouldn't it be a drag to end up with your bike magnetically attached to their parked SUV? :eek:

Dianyla
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Wouldn't it be a drag to end up with your bike magnetically attached to their parked SUV? :eek:
Mmm... a drag indeed...