PDA

View Full Version : I'm Getting a Ruby!

kaybee
05-31-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm so excited that I have to share the news with someone who understands. I've posted before about my difficulties finding a bike, and it seems like the search has finally ended.

I've spent the past two months trying to decide on a bike (Ruby, Orbea, Trek), and finally decided on the Ruby, so I put a deposit on her on 5/22. On 5/23 my LBS called to tell me that he wasn't sure he would be able to get it for me, since they were out of stock (Specialized's most popular bike this year, etc., etc.), but his sales rep said that they were expecting a shipment by the end of the month. I *knew* there was a bike in my size at a shop 30 miles north of here, but I was really trying to buy it from the local guys, so I told him I would wait until the end of the month.

Went by the shop yesterday, and found out that the shipment has arrived in the US, and my bike should be here next week! I've also been agonizing over the compact double vs. a triple, and LBS says I can try the compact double and if I don't like it, he'll swap out for a triple at no cost (the other shop 30 miles away was going to charge me to swap it). This just *might* work out! Thanks for listening to my rambling! Can you tell I'm just a bit excited? ;)

KB

Brina
05-31-2006, 04:51 AM
congrats! you are going to love it!!!! I know I do.

Fuji Girl
05-31-2006, 07:00 AM
Whoooooeeee! That's awesome! Congratulations! I've been lusting for the Ruby Pro, I just love that color. The carbon and DA components don't hurt either. Enjoy it! (wooo, I'm so jealous...)

tprevost
05-31-2006, 07:58 AM
oooohhhh! Congratulations kaybee!!!! We look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby and hearing all about your rides!!! :D

Tracy

caligurl
05-31-2006, 12:10 PM
WOO HOO! so which ruby are you getting? ruby comp? or ruby expert? (sorry.... i assume comp or expert cuz you mentioned compact and those are the two that come with the compact!

you are gonna LOVE it! all three ruby's are SO pretty!!!!!!!

mimitabby
05-31-2006, 07:05 PM
it's not a red bike??

caligurl
05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
it's not a red bike??

only the pro version is ruby red colored...

the expert version is blue.....

and the comp version is black....

and just like the roubaix's.... each one is made with a different level of carbon and a different set of components (comp/black is 105, expert/blue is ultegra and pro/ruby red is dura ace) that's why it's always best to identify which one you are getting/considering/wanting! cuz all three are different (just like the roubaix's and even the dolces are all different.... depending on which one you get!)

i've always said they should have called them the ruby (red/pro), sapphire (blue/expert) and onyx (black/comp)! seems strange that the other two aren't red! but i think maybe they got ruby as a play on pronunciation of roubaix.....

mimitabby
06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
only the pro version is ruby red colored...

the expert version is blue.....

and the comp version is black....

i've always said they should have called them the ruby (red/pro), sapphire (blue/expert) and onyx (black/comp)! seems strange that the other two aren't red! but i think maybe they got ruby as a play on pronunciation of roubaix.....

i agree with you. to put a color in the name but not the bike! tsk tsk.

kaybee
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
LBS just called to tell me he had just finished putting my bike together -- a week before I expected her to be here! Tomorrow I'll bring my shoes and pedals to work with me and go by the shop to have her fitted. That means I'll get to ride her this weekend. I can't believe it. Wish me luck!

KB

tprevost
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh no Kaybee.... GO TODAY!!!!! We wanna see pics of you and your new bike!!!

YIPPEEE!!!! Have fun!

Tracy

caligurl
06-01-2006, 12:47 PM
kaybee.... WHICH ONE! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladyfish
06-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Congrats! I'd love to have a Ruby. But one thing at a time. My husband is just getting used to my current bike--I shouldn't be buying another one YET!!!

Tell us all about it!!!

mimitabby
06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
kaybee.... WHICH ONE! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she's not telling. It's a surprise!

caligurl
06-02-2006, 06:50 AM
hmmmmm should we start taking bets? http://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/227.gif

well.... my wager would be against the pro (red one) ONLY cuz from posts on this and other forums... they are in really short supply... supposedly not even available from the specialized warehouse... so unless the store had one in stock or did a "dealer trade"....

hmmmmmm i'll bet the pretty black one! it seems to be the most popular!

next bet???????

kaybee
06-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi Ladies! Cali is right -- it's the black Ruby Comp. That's all the $$ I could justify spending. As it is, that's more bike than I need or deserve. I'll be picking her up in about an hour and a half, and wouldn't you know, it's raining. But, we're supposed to have a nice weekend, so if I can muster the energy after tomorrow morning's run (trying to get in shape for a fall half marathon) we'll take a spin Saturday afternoon. If my legs are too dead we'll go out Sunday for a long ride. I'll let you know on Monday how we got along. :D

KB

caligurl
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi Ladies! Cali is right -- it's the black Ruby Comp.

*jumping up and down" I WIN! I WIN! (uhm.... what's my prize? :confused: )

the black one is SO purdy! (i wanted a black roubaix til i found out there were making the ruby!) and just think of how you can eventually personalize a black one! not restricted to certain colors like you are with blue or red or orange or pink bikes!

we will be expecting a full ride report after your first ride! and hopefully you will appease us with some pics, too!

wannaduacentury
06-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Can someone post a link on this Ruby bike everyone likes sooo much. I'd like to see it :)

caligurl
06-02-2006, 03:28 PM
specialized's site (http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06WomensBikesRoad)

my ruby (http://caligurl.com/bikergurl/pics/newruby.html)

Mags...
06-03-2006, 04:03 AM
beautiful bike cali... what saddle is on your ruby? Is it a good one?

caligurl
06-03-2006, 04:11 AM
beautiful bike cali... what saddle is on your ruby? Is it a good one?

thank you....

the one that's on it in the pics is the one that came with it... the women's jett... and for me a gawdawful UNCOMFORTABLE seat!

i really wanted to like it.. cuz it looked so purdy on the bike.... but alas... my tushy won over looks! so i ended up putting a ti dolce saddle on it... not as purdy (not in any of the pics i posted).... but far more comfy! i couldn't ride 15 or 20 miles on the jett without hurting.... rode a century on it in january and was miserale for DAYS afterwards! i've done several centuries on the dolce saddle since putting it on... and it's great for me! (plus the dolce saddle is what i was used to and had on my dolce bike that i did so many long rides on last year!)

wannaduacentury
06-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the pix Cali, that is a gorgeous bike :)

jeannierides
06-04-2006, 04:49 AM
It IS a gorgeous bike! :)

wannaduacentury
06-04-2006, 08:32 AM
I was in Atlanta yesterday and walking around waiting for my concert later in the day and I ran across a bike shop. So nosy me has to go in :) and yes they had Specialized. I didn't see the Ruby, but I did see the Allez and Dolce. Got to touch and feel them, how light they were. Now I understand the obsession (wink)