PDA

View Full Version : Urban Assault Race- Dallas, TX 5-28-06

KSH
05-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Subaru hosted an Urban Assault Race in Dallas,TX on 5-28-06.

My friend and I signed up and decided to take it on. It sounded like a fun race! Basically, we would navigate to different checkpoints and complete challenges at the checkpoints. The checkpoints would be listed on a sheet that we would receive at packet pick-up. There were also going to be 2 surprise checkpoints.

Packet pick-up was the day before the race. I go, get my t-shirt, and bag and go home. When I finally open up my bag, I realize they have NOT put the sheet with the checkpoints on it, in my bag. I call my partner. She didn't get one in her bag either. Luckily, her boyfriend happended to grab a sheet off the table, so we had one sheet.

We get to the race, and people start in different waves depending on their score on a quiz that was sent to us a few days before the race. Unfortunately, we did not complete it in time, so we started in the last heat.

Navigation to the first, second and third checkpoints was pretty easy. For the other checkpoints, we didn't do a bad job of navigating... but we did take way too long deciding on which way to go on the map. Not to mention that a couple of times we got turned around, due to lack of steet signs, etc.

At some of the checkpoints, we had challenges to complete. Just fun tasks really. Such as riding a big wheel around a course, completing a word scramble, going into some foam, etc.

The race was poorly supported though. There was barely water at the checkpoints (they got the water out late, and at the end, it was all gone), and food was non-existent. Not to mention there were not restrooms at the checkpoints (except for one).

Well, we get to the last checkpoint, and we are seriously the LAST ONES. The volunteer was being picked up by the van, after we got our bead for being at the checkpoint. But we got there and finished the course.

So, we pedaled back to the starting point to check in.

Everyone had pretty much left at this point. We were the last ones in. Mind you, 20 teams dropped out, so being last isn't as bad as it sounds. The food was gone (we begged food off the volunteers), no one checked our beads to see that we finished. In fact, no one even gave a damn that we were back.

In the end, we traveled 30 miles at a 11 mph average. Overall, it took us 4 hours to complete the entire course.

Would I do it again? Maybe. I don't know. It was haphazardly organized (how do you NOT put the most important information IN the race packet?!), and it was more navigation than fun challenges. Not to mention that if you weren't finishing in the top of the pack, you were fogotten about, and ignored, left to beg for some food that you should have gotten. For my $60 I expected a little bit more.

Steph_in_TX
05-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Sorry that turned out to be a bummer. I'm glad you posted about it, though. I had told DH it sounded like it might be fun, but we didn't really pursue it any further and now I'm glad we didn't.

KSH
05-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Sorry that turned out to be a bummer. I'm glad you posted about it, though. I had told DH it sounded like it might be fun, but we didn't really pursue it any further and now I'm glad we didn't.

Well, in all fairness, I suspect that the people who finished in the front of the pack had a great time.

They got medals, food, free give aways, and a little party when they got back.

adventurefit
07-08-2006, 03:15 PM
HI KSH,
I just found this post and wanted to comment about your experience in the Subaru Urban Assault Race. I'm the race director and want to clarify a few things:
I'm sorry that you has a less than excellent time at our event. We work very hard to make the race a ton of fun for participants. Hopefully, this post will help to clear up your concerns.
1. On the website months prior to the race, the list of checkpoints is available: http://urbanassaultrace.com/dallas.php
We include this list on the race guideline sheet (which we place in the hand of each participant at packet pick up). Perhaps you didn't read over the sheet at packet pick up.
2. Since we have multiple checkpoints (up to 11) in some cities, we can't supply bathrooms at them all. The checkpoints are usually businesses however, and they have restrooms. What other races will have bathrooms availble in areas besides the start/finish
3. We end the race at 4 hours. We have to have a time limit for the race - as do all races. 4 hours is usually plenty of time to complete 30 or less miles, plus 5 obstacles. We have to let our checkpoints, volunteers, and rented equipment know when the race is over.

Again, we apologize that you didn't have an excellent time. In Austin, the race had over 800 people. Everybody finished within 4 hours, or came in with less than all the beads. We also had no complaints about bathrooms or food at the checkpoints. Of course, if you had finished within 4 hours (before the event ended), you'd have burritos, beer, tea, and lots of other food to enjoy. Typically, the teams that win are those that plot their course with the provided checkpoint locations, ride or drive their route, and come prepared with water and food (just like any other race). I hope that you are able give our event another chance so you can see how fun it can be.
Thanks,
Adventure Fit