PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mtb do you have?

Brandi
05-29-2006, 07:39 AM
What is in your stall?
I have a brand new xtc giant. My husband built it. It is really nice! all xt parts too. I need to get new clipless peddles though. I have the one's that came with my husbands old bike. They make this grinding metal noise I hate it. But I wanted to make sure I wanted clipless. So now I need to buy some real one's. But I have to wait for my birthday. Tax time hurt us a bit. I will be more detailed about my bike if you want but for now this will have to do. Gotta get dh on this cause he knows it all.

LL_Super_D
05-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a dualie - a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (the WSD one) and I love it! It was quite the upgrade from my rigid Specialized HardRock. It came with Shimano m520 pedals, which were my first experience with clipless. Definitely took a few spills (oh poor bikey!) which my friend said looked so silly and I was laughing at myself - at least they were gentle falls. (I've since put speedplay frogs on my road bike which I love and aren't as difficult for me as the Shimanos... thinking about getting a pair for the mtb but not sure yet.)

DirtDiva
05-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc.

madisongrrl
05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
2006 Trek Fuel EX 9

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1166600&f=14

2001 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

rocknrollgirl
05-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Marin East Peak, full suspension, all mountain, heavy, but very trail worthy..I am shopping to scale up this year.

Dirt Girl
05-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Santa Cruz Blur XC that DH built up as a Christmas gift last December and my Santa Cruz Juliana. Also a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail that I plan to sell sometime.

velogirl
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I've got a Litespeed Pisgah hardtail. I've also got a custom Sycip Deisel singlespeed that should be finished in the next two weeks -- can't wait to build it up. Once that arrives, I'll probably sell the Pisgah and get a full-suspension bike of some type -- probably an Ellsworth Truth.

ridebikeme
05-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Ummm... in my stall I have Specialized Stumpjumper Pro and an older Trek 8700 hardtail. It seems that my Mom has spent WAY more money on her road bikes...what's up with that??

mtbdarby
05-29-2006, 01:36 PM
I've got a 2005 Specialized Rockhopper. After my race this year I'm drueling for a duelie.

Dirt Girl, how do you like the Juliana? I've been eyeing her up and have heard good things about her.

crazycanuck
05-29-2006, 03:21 PM
I have a 06 Scott Scale 40...

My marin was too big & we decided that we wanted to upgrade our bikes.
Ian has a scott mc 40..a dually...

c

kerrybelle
05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Rocky Mountain Element 70, full suspension, upgraded with full XTR and Pink Chris King headset and hubs. I absolutely love my bike!

Kerry

Nanci
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Here's my baby, Loco, a Titus Loco Moto. Full suspension, mostly XT, with Race Face Cranks and a matching Chris King headset and some pretty cool hand-built wheels. The original frame was way different, but it was recalled and replaced for free. Too bad he mostly hangs in the shed since I'm so into road biking now..

wavedancer
05-29-2006, 05:28 PM
My first mtb is a Gary Fisher Big Sur GS hardtail. A fun ride, but I decided I wanted to get a dualie for my aging body, and for the fun of it! So I found what seems to be the perfect bike for me; a Titus Racer X. What a difference it has made in my ability to climb over rough stuff and especially on the descents. She's a fast and nimble steed, and I hope that some day I can become the rider she deserves!

fatbottomedgurl
05-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Great pictures!!! I ride a Diamondback hardtail. I paid almost as much for my pedals/ shoes/ saddle as the bike. That was years ago. I have my eye on a Gary Fisher Cake 3 GS. 13" wsd. I rode it recently. Mistake...

bcipam
05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm a Specialized gal... I ride both a Stumpjumper Hardtail and FSR. The FSR is new but I still have my Gary Fisher Sugar 3+. I'm gonna take the disc wheels and brakes off the Fisher and put them on my hardtail. The Fisher, once it's back to together I'm selling to a friend so he can go ride with me.

Popoki_Nui
05-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Oh dear...vintage girl here...:rolleyes: My MTB is a 1984 Kuwahara Sierra Grande which I've rebuilt/updated from a rigid to an XC hardtail. It was a $69.99 Value Village find. Classic vintage double butted cro-mo with Deore/DeoreXT/Deore XT Deerhead components.

bcipam
05-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey - I also had a Kuwahara - can't remember the model (but it was totally rigid). It was the second MTB bike I bought (an upgrade from a 1986 Rockhopper Comp). It was an unusal bike with a 26" front wheel and 24" rear. Lovely paint scheme - very 80's- Black with pink, yellow and blue spatter. I just finally gave the bike away last year.

juvel01
05-30-2006, 09:06 AM
I have a '99 Specialized S-Works hardtail. Best bike that ever owned me. Fits me so well it was like it was made just for me. :) My husband wants me to get a new full suspension Gary Fisher but I just LOVE my bike I cant imagine riding another one.

Trekhawk
05-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a Santa Cruz Juliana in bright orange that my kids call the flying pumpkin.

mtbmargie
05-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Hello fellow mtbers! I go away for a week and come back to a wonderful mtb section... this is great!

My wonderful bike is a Trek Fuel EX 7... her name is Roxy :)

Tater
05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I have a 2004 Raleigh M40dx hardtail with disc brakes. Worked great as a short commuter.

SalsaMTB
05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I have a custom pink and green Quiring hardtail. Basically all XTR except the brakes. I love my mountain bike :)

carback
05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I have a 2005 Gary Fisher Cake 3 wsd that I absolutely LOVE. Name: Scout

I also have a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo that was my original learn-to-mountain bike bike & that I now use for commuting. Name: Owen.

Barb
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a Gary Fisher Marlin. I love this bike. It is just right for me. She is bright green with purple bar ends, a WTB saddle with embroidered dragonfly on it...her name is skittles. Right now she has slicks for commuting, but I change up now and again!

I also have a 1987 Blue rigid Huffy!!! That tank is sooo bomb proof. Cheap as it was, it changes gears really smoothly! My BF rides that now. He is eyeing a Tassahara though.

Brandi
05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Oh dear...vintage girl here...:rolleyes: My MTB is a 1984 Kuwahara Sierra Grande which I've rebuilt/updated from a rigid to an XC hardtail. It was a $69.99 Value Village find. Classic vintage double butted cro-mo with Deore/DeoreXT/Deore XT Deerhead components.
your bike is cool! Is it heavy? I have a diamond back from 1988 and it's a rock!

snowtulip
05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I have three mountain bikes. My new mountain bike was designed and hand-built by my husband :D (perfect for this under 5ft. tall gal), I'll post a picture later. He just hand-built a titanium bike for someone (I have my eye on that next).

I also have another bike my hubby designed that he turned into a singlespeed (loving the singlespeed at the moment). And I have a full-suspension Titus locomoto.

Nanci
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Snowtulip,

Did you get the extra small Loco? People were trying to talk me into that, but the small just felt right. What color is yours? Did you buy it right from a shop? I test rode it in Georgia, but no local shops carried it, so I had mine custom built at SpeedGoat. They did an excellent job. It's so cool to hand-pick _every_ component.

Nanci

mellic
05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
There are some cool bikes here. SalsaMTB I would love to see a picture of your bike!

This year I am riding an 06 Specialized S-works hardtail and it is a very smooth fast ride.

tomgrrrl
05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR....had the brakes upgraded to disc brakes last summer and love the bike.....got me back on the trails:)

SandyGirl
05-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Trek 6000. I bought it because it was cool! Has never seen a mountain! I used it on the Katy Trail in MO a lot. I am a recreational cyclist. Been riding this on pavement lately, that is when the temps have been in the 80's or less. I hate the 90's plus that we have had the past few days..

Sandy

fatbottomedgurl
05-31-2006, 06:09 AM
My husband wants me to get a new full suspension Gary Fisher

I wish my husband wanted me to have this bike...but I am saving.
My Diamondback is a 33 lbs. But I can't complain because I could lose 15...

Jennifer
05-31-2006, 06:28 AM
I have a full custom DEAN full suspension titanium bike. I have XTR wheels, and mostly xtr components and custom length xtr cranks.

I luuuurrrrrve it. It is so nice to have bike that REALLY fits.

I also have a specialized Dolce road bike, and a pink Giant Simple( single speed with a coaster brake) cruiser.

btchance
05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
I have a Giant hardtail, Boulder SE. Nothing fancy, but none of the trails I ride are that rough.

SalsaMTB
05-31-2006, 07:06 AM
There are some cool bikes here. SalsaMTB I would love to see a picture of your bike!

This year I am riding an 06 Specialized S-works hardtail and it is a very smooth fast ride.

I posted pic when I first had it built up, but of course I'll post them again :) They're a little old and I've upgraded a couple things, but not too much!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf07b3127cce95d69aa7a95100000016108AbNmzFw4bNr

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf07b3127cce95d69aa0286600000015108AbNmzFw4bNr

The pictures of the frame here (http://www.quiringcycles.net/igallery/igallery.asp?d=\multi+gear'd+mountain+bikes\jennifer+26+steel\) help capture the color a little better

SalsaMTB
05-31-2006, 07:10 AM
I have a full custom DEAN full suspension titanium bike. I have XTR wheels, and mostly xtr components and custom length xtr cranks.

I also have a specialized Dolce road bike, and a pink Giant Simple( single speed with a coaster brake) cruiser.

I love Dean bikes! My DH has an old dean back when they made steel under the dean name (instead of Ionic). They have great craftsmanship. I would love to see a pic!

Popoki_Nui
05-31-2006, 08:01 AM
your bike is cool! Is it heavy? I have a diamond back from 1988 and it's a rock!

Thanks...this was my winter project in 2004/05. Heavy...not really. With it's original rigid fork, this bike weighs only 24 pounds. Those suspension forks add another 3 pounds on top of that. I'm tossing around the idea of going back to the rigid forks as I seldom do any real mountain biking these days.

~Sherry.

Brandi
05-31-2006, 08:21 AM
My husband and i went looking for a bike for me last year. I have a 2004 Giant warp but it was not fitted right for me. So on long rides my shoulders would get really tired. I am short so we tried and tried to find a bike I could try that was my size. None of our lbs had anything. Not one that would fit me. They also wanted a deposite for what ever they ordered. Well my dh started poking around and did some measurements and said he found a frame that would fit me. I was a little reluctent cause he decided to build me a bike. Well he shopped he's heart out for everything down to the tools. And built me my wonderful bike. As a matter of fact he just built one for my best friend too. she wanted to pay him but he said no way. So she has bought him a really cool cycling jersey for he's trouble. He hasn't gotten yet cause he just finished her bike it is going on it's maiden voyage today. I suspect she will give it to him then. Cool huh?

bcipam
05-31-2006, 11:18 AM

OK jealous... that's a dream bike. But right now am not worthy. It would be toomuch bike for so little skill... but I can dream! :)

fatbottomedgurl
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Salsa I love the snow in your pictures.
I rode in snow once with my DH in Yosemite Park (not where the lodge is). It was really fun, but a little crazy! We don't get snow here.

mellic
05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Love the bike Salsa! You have pimped it nicely and it must be quite light with the components you are running.

And Jennifer show us the DEAN! What length cranks are you running?

E2theD
06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
I have a Stumpjumper FSRxc I picked up at a bike swap a year ago for a steal. So much fun to ride!

:D Erin

caligurl
06-01-2006, 07:45 AM
i have just a cheapy.... a specialized hardrock:

http://www.caligurl.com/bikergurl/pics/1stmtnbike/1.jpg

but i have fun on it... when i do ride it! i haven't been moutain biking at all this year! *gasp*!

snowtulip
06-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Nanci -
I did get the xs locomoto, it fits perfect, it's gray/black combo, I test rode direct from Titus when I visited AZ. The guys were great :D and lent me a bike before I decided to purchase. I then purchased at a local bike ship at their suggestion. I also run all my mtb. on 24 in tires, which really helps with standover. Was leary of this at first, but it's been such a confidence builder.

I'm trying to pick a color for my custom mtb., currently thinking pistachio green with thin white stripe, the retro look.

Crankin
06-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I have a Norco full suspension mtb, size small. Sometimes I think that I should have bought an X-Small, but it feels fine when I am riding. I have dual sided pedals; spd on one side, flat on the other. Right now i ride mostly unclipped because I am finding the spds very hard to get out of. Plus, when I do clip in, my knees hurt after just a short while, compared to my speedplays I have on my road bike. But, I hate riding unclipped, especially when i start climbing. I am thinking of getting Frogs, but I am a little afraid of having to be clipped in all of the time.
I haven't ridden it too much in the last month or so... so much rain, the trails are a wreck. Today, I went for a 5 mile hike in the pouring rain, on a trail i have ridden on a bit. It is totally puddled and the tiny stream crossings are rushing little rivers. I was just starting to get confident on the mtb and now it will be like starting over again...

stella
06-07-2006, 03:53 AM
I have a kona cindercone, I purchased it in 1995. before that, I had a raleigh M60. I used to mostly mtn bike until about 4 years ago--now, I confess, I ride road.

The kona has been converted to a singlespeed and parts upgraded over the years.

although, I haven't been mtn biking at all this year :o

Pebble
06-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum, only discovered it recently when I was doing some research on saddles. I used to have a 2001 Specialized Hardrock Comp.
My new bike is just over a month old Giant Trance 3 (Aussie Model).

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/13223/T3%20with%20Panaracers%20001_4_1.jpg

crazycanuck
06-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Hey pebble,

Where in aust or nz are ya???

That's one nice trance ya got there dear! How do you find the handling??? What about going from a hardtail to a dually???

Ian(my dear) was looking at getting a trance but opted for the Scott genius mc 40...Still a nice bike...

c

Pebble
06-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Well it's a 16"frame, I put the Truvativ Hussefelt riser & 60mm stem on purely to compare to stock set up but found it instantly more responsive and alot better reach wise for me. Handling is great but obviously the shorter stem means going up hills isn't quite as good - just have to put a bit more weight up front. Great bike though, equally good on the bitumen and the dirt.
Definitely love having a duallie - I found the Judy TT fork pretty dismal - but I had good use out of the old bike and I guess I was at the stage where I was really ready for an upgrade - it felt a bit like a pogo stick where I usually rode (that could be just lack of riding ability though?). The Tora is great - still to get the rebound setting right though and the Trance weighs around 13.5kg (bathroom scale) but feels light to ride - well almost same weight as my hardtail was.

Other bikes I test rode: 05 Specialized FSR XC, 05 Trek Fuel 70 and considered the FSR XC Comp, Trek Fuel 80, Norco Fluid 2.0, Kona Kikapu Deluxe, Kona Dawg and lastly thought about a Giant Reign, in my list, but the Trance came up tops in value for money and also had great reviews overall.
The Specialized FSR XC Comp was probably my 2nd choice.

In the end it's between what you can afford, performance, value for money, and what you like - I know I never really considered some bikes purely because I didn't like the look of them. In the end whatever I chose I'd be stoked with (well as long as you don't get a heap of people telling you that you made the wrong choice!).

My husband still has his Hardrock Comp (2001 model) and it's virtually like new, the most dirt it saw was when I rode it when I was between bikes after selling my old one!

I'm in Townsville QlLD (Australia) at the moment, but pending a job interview we may be moving to Cobar NSW.

crazycanuck
06-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Wahooo!! Another aussieeeee! Hello from perth!

tired crazycanuck...

Pebble
06-10-2006, 04:14 AM
Hi Crazycanuck, I've lived in Perth for a while - we were living in Gosnells, still have a brother in law living there (not Gosnells though). I'm about to head to bed as well : shouldn't be staying up this late with kids who get up at 6am! Anyway I'm sure we'll chat in future. Now better stay on topic I guess :rolleyes:

doorah
06-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I LOVE Lucy!

durtgurl
06-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I just got my 2006 Santa Cruz Black Ano BLT, it's an all mountain ride and I'm lovin' it. It's a perfect rig for Colorado.
I've built it up with sweet parts, Fox both front and back, with some juicy brakes, etc. This is a dream come true for me, I'm stoked!
:)

Pebble
06-11-2006, 03:47 AM
I wish my frame was anodized! Your bike must look really great.
The paint on the Trance comes off pretty easily due to minor cable rub.

SR500
06-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Wow, some nice bike. I have an older US built steel Trek hardtail. Nice bike, but just doesn't get riden much anymore.

Ashgarth
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
My sister just gave me her schwinn moab for free, she decided that since she only used it about 10 times in the last 4 years, that I should just take it. Free is good :)

mtnbikenmama
06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
:cool: Here she is my HPL Alchemy. Only 5 on the planet. It's a test bike, and I can't wait until the creator comes out with the production, because it will be lighter and oh so nimble. I also have a Stumpjumper FSR that I ride when my Alchemy needs some work.
She's a sweet ride girls!:)

donna

Pebble
06-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Wow, that bike looks pretty amazing. How would you say it compares to the Specialized or others you have ridden?

mtnbikenmama
06-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I have ridden a Trek 4300, Specialized Enduro, my Stumpjumper FSR '03 edition, and I can say hands down this is the sweetest ride I have ever had (which includes multiple bike brands that I tired out at the L.A. Bike expo. The bike is so laterally ridged at high speed descent. The torsional rubber shock climbs better than my Stumpy in full lock out. The rear is rated at 4 to 41/2 inches of travel. The bike all around just seems to be easier to get up the mountain. The rear end has teflon lined swage locked spherical bearings that are used in fighter jets. The guy who created this bike is a mechanical engineer and really knows his stuff. I'm hoping and praying that he does come out with the cross country model for the public soon. I just love this bike.
Can you tell?????? :D

Kitsune06
07-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Specialized XC rockhopper, WSD for me... all the original components (so far) but the paint job is different. Since she's also my fun/commuter bike, I painted her flat black once upon a time, and just recently removed some of the black paint in tiger-stripes along the frame, so she's black with blue stripes... or blue with black stripes? I'll see if I can get a pic.

horsemom
07-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I am a green bean newbie, but I just bought a Gary Fisher Cobia 29er. I bring it home at the end of the week. I have been riding my son's mongoose FS, but the Cobia has a huge difference in the power transfer and ability to flyyyy!!!

Laura

Brandi
07-05-2006, 08:04 AM
There are some awsome bikes here. When my dh built my bike I had to girl it up a bit and found some cool hawiian flower stickers to put on it (drove him nut's that I did that, but it's my bike right?) anyone else do anything like that?

ikkin
07-06-2006, 07:15 AM
no flower stickers, but i do have pink grips and a pink waterbottle holder on my new santa cruz juliana. there's another thread about this somewhere out there...

my bike is sooooo sweet! i built it up with a combo of new (avid juicy 7's, mavic crossride wheels), ebay used (fox talas RL), and old parts from my old hardtail (lx drivetrain, SRAM hollowpin chain, bontrager handlebars, etc) and it rocks! i will eventually upgrade the drivetrain and bars. but i'm already loving the fullie...a completely different (and in my opinion, better) experience than the HT. this bike rocks.

only minor problem is that i don't have much clearance on the medium, but the small frame was too small. anyone have any experience with 24inch wheels?

snowtulip
07-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Ikkin ,
I run 24in wheels on all my bikes, I love them. The standover is great, but I am small (4'11). My husband is a frame builder so my last two frames were designed specifically with 24 in mind. I also run 24 on my Titus FS.

Some people will go into efficiency loss, etc. from running 24 in. but I feel my riding got so much better when I made the change (confidence is priceless).:D

eofelis
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I have a 13in Gunnar Rockhound. Steel hardtail. It's a pretty dark green.

I was keeping an eye out on ebay for small steel mtb frames. This Gunnar comes up. I hadn't thought about a Gunnar for myself, though I had heard of them. I won the auction for it for $200. They are $750 retail. I moved the parts off another bike. It has just so-so parts on it, some LX. I really like it, although I'm not a very skillful or frequent mtn biker. It's my least used bike.

SalsaMTB
07-15-2006, 07:23 AM
I have ridden a Trek 4300, Specialized Enduro, my Stumpjumper FSR '03 edition, and I can say hands down this is the sweetest ride I have ever had (which includes multiple bike brands that I tired out at the L.A. Bike expo. The bike is so laterally ridged at high speed descent. The torsional rubber shock climbs better than my Stumpy in full lock out. The rear is rated at 4 to 41/2 inches of travel. The bike all around just seems to be easier to get up the mountain. The rear end has teflon lined swage locked spherical bearings that are used in fighter jets. The guy who created this bike is a mechanical engineer and really knows his stuff. I'm hoping and praying that he does come out with the cross country model for the public soon. I just love this bike.
Can you tell?????? :D

Interesting. Can you post close up pictures of the shock?

extra-vert
07-16-2006, 03:31 PM
How about the candies? ( crank bros.) They've got quite a few different color options. I have the lemon yellow ones on my custom built mtn bike.:D

fatbottomedgurl
07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
So many nice bikes ladies. Makes me want to throw mine off a cliff.

DirtDiva
07-16-2006, 10:30 PM
No no no! Don't throw it off, ride it down. :D