PDA

View Full Version : Sports beans and artificial colors?

ladyjai
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Are there artificial colors in these buggers? Jelly belly isn't giving me an ingredient list online. They claim natural flavors (though not exclusively), but I'd imagine if they cut the colors it'd be mentioned too.

I find it amusing how many companies which are trying to make products touted for the health of athletes ruin their products with artificial colors and flavours... Accelerade comes to mind. I like the fact they have protein, i don't like the fact they have colors up the wazoo... and i recently tried their lemon lime flavor and would have spit it out, except i was too thirsty.

Geonz
05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, I found an ingredients list and they all have artificial colors. It kept me from the impulse of getting them, too.
Lots of the Gatorades also do now. Seems they've decided the market doesn't care any more; that "healthy" means it has guaragoofinine or soem other impossible to pronounce mystery ingredient (cynically, I am pretty sure the caffeine trumps 'em all), and who cares what else is dumped in there as long as it is super-sweet and trendy.

jobob
05-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Well if you have any leftovers, send them my way. :cool:

jo "better living through chemistry" bob

maillotpois
05-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Well if you have any leftovers, send them my way. :cool:

jo "better living through chemistry" bob

My favorite is red.

SadieKate
05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Yum, Red 40. Made me red hot on the trail today.

From the "Fruit Punch" package:

sugar, corn syrup, contains 2% or less of the following: natural flavor, thiamine hydrochloride (Vit B1), riboflavin (Vit B2), niacinamide (Vit B3), ascorbic acid (Vit C), citric acid, citrus pectin, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium lactate, red 40, blue 1, beeswax, carnauba wax, confectioner's glaze, salt. Manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts.

maillotpois
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts.

That part is just odd.

SadieKate
05-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Have you ever stopped in the JB factory or the outlet store in Vacaville? The variety of candy they make is mindboggling.

jobob
05-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, some people do have horrible peanut allergies and can go into anaphylactic (sp?) shock if they injest peanut products. Actually if I'm not mistaken it's not the peanuts but a fungus that lives on peanuts. So food mfgrs. put that warning on any food label if there were any peanuts used in the plant, on the off chance some penut detrius makes it's way into their product (CYA). I feel sorry for people with really bad food allergies, it's a difficult life.

Took a trip with a friend a few years back and before we got on the plane she told me what to look out for and showed me how to use the injector she always carried with her. That was reassuring not.

I alway cringe on airplanes when they hand out the peanut packets (while most airlines give out pretzels nowadays, I think Southwest still gives out peanuts), and I hope there's no-one on the plane with a peanut allergy!

SadieKate
05-28-2006, 08:30 PM
American West (now United Airways I think but I just go to the same counter and they like my ID so I get on the plane and get where I want to go) also gives out peanuts.

jobob
05-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, if you prefer to go the all natural / unprocessed route, Lara Bars are very tasty.

Although a friend was telling me how he got food poisoning and he was pretty certain it was from a Lara Bar he ate. :(

ladyjai
05-28-2006, 09:03 PM
thanks ladies. i was afraid of that. While I'm not so health food nutty that I never consume that stuff, i do try to keep my ride food clean.

a neat raw food car is the berry Probar. but it is soooo expensive...

Selkie
05-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Ladyjai -- Larabars are all natural and now they've come out with a chocolate/coffee flavor that is wonderful (Maya bars).

DirtDiva
05-29-2006, 01:50 AM
...that "healthy" means it has guaragoofinine or soem other impossible to pronounce mystery ingredient...

sugar, corn syrup, contains 2% or less of the following: natural flavor, thiamine hydrochloride (Vit B1), riboflavin (Vit B2), niacinamide (Vit B3), ascorbic acid (Vit C), citric acid, citrus pectin, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium lactate, red 40, blue 1, beeswax, carnauba wax, confectioner's glaze, salt. Manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts.
I can pronounce all of those. Guess that means I get to eat as many as I want. :D

KnottedYet
05-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Sometimes ya just can't beat good ol' bananas.

And those bruises from bouncing around in the bike bag add variety and interesting texture.

Clif colors their electrolyte lemonade with tumeric and doesn't have corn syrup stuff in it. I wonder if that's why my gut handles it so much better than Gatorade?

Quillfred
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I've learned to like both the Organic Food Bars and The Hammer Bar which try provide energy from more organic ingredients. Almond butter and date paste are common to both.

I did recently try an organic lemon flavored bar (? name) that gave me an allergic reaction - an itchy throat. The only ingredient I could attribute to it was acacia???? Too bad as it was somewhat tasty.

Unfortunately the calories seem to stack up with these bars. They make my other standards, Clif, seem like a diet bar. :eek: The Luna (wish I liked them) taste like sweet cinder blocks to me.

Quillfred

KnottedYet
05-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Isn't acacia what giraffes eat? Do they get itchy throats? That'd be one heck of an itch...:D

Nanci
05-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Hmm, I just never worried about artificial colors. After all that waiting and wondering about the Blue Beans, I don't like them that much. I like Lime, then Punch, then Blue, then Orange.

And I found out that my perfect cycling maintenance food, Beans, does NOT mix well with what I refer to as "running." Too sweet, too chewy. Isn't that weird how something you love for one sport sucks for another??

Maybe that's why I'm better at cycling: it's easier to eat while doing it.

Nanci

Jones
05-29-2006, 04:37 PM
And those bruises from bouncing around in the bike bag add variety and interesting texture.

You need this.

snapdragen
05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
You need this.

must resist......must resist.......Ack! I can't do it!!!!

Do those things come with batteries?:eek: :rolleyes:

Waverly
05-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I like fig neutons! They are small and not to crummy, you can eat them sort of warm, and they don't taste like flavored dirt like a lot of the bar things do.

Jessica

KnottedYet
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Is that a banana in your pocket...?

Trek, say something witty, cuz I'm in too much shock.:eek:

KnottedYet
05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
eh - hem.....

it would make packing easier.

(I didn't type that;) )

Nanci
05-30-2006, 05:11 AM
I've always thought fig bars tasted kind of like dirt...

KnottedYet
05-30-2006, 05:37 AM
I made my little brother eat dirt once.

And SKnot ate dirt when he was a toddler.

Mmmmmmm, crunchy......

DirtDiva
05-30-2006, 05:46 AM
I ate masses of dirt when I was a tiny kid. And sand. And coal. And, and, and... :p

Nanci
05-30-2006, 06:31 AM
I feel bad about this, but when I was a kid, I tricked another kid into eating a rabbit turd by saying it was a Cocoa Puff.

I don't think I ever ate dirt, though. I did throw a mudball at the neighbor's sheets, and got in a sh*tload of trouble.

Being a kid was fun.

Ate a lot of snow. And raw macaroni. And bread balls. (Recipe- cut the crusts off spongy white bread, roll into a ball, eat).

Outside, I ate clover and buds and flowers, as well as the usual garden/tree robbing. I liked to pretend I wa a deer.

Nanci
05-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I forgot! I think I ate chalk (but not a lot) and paste.

KnottedYet
05-30-2006, 06:59 AM
The paste we had in first grade smelled like peppermint. Tell me they didn't expect us to snack on it!

ladyjai
05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
paste? toothpaste?

Rabbittrail threads are quite amusing....:D

Geonz
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Gosh, and at the *end* of the first page I thought I was giong to have to apologize for assuming that if this thread went to two pages, it must have drifted. Yes, you *could* have a second page of posts and still be talking about food colors and sports beans... but not much more!
I suppose that if things are all natural, they might be more likely to get all natural food poisoning elements. Now let me go find my banana...

Nanci
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Drifting.........I used to make little designs with glue, like horses and whatever, on colored paper, let them harden up, then cut them out, secretly in my desk. Remember those desks with those flip-up lids? I wonder if they still have those...

Back on track! Ate blue, red, green and orange Sport Beans on my ride tonight!! Not a whole pack of each, though.

Quillfred
05-30-2006, 06:43 PM
J***s Knotted

Ya killin' me, ya killin me :eek: :D :D :p

ps. You stole my line--your first comeback that is.

But actually, Odwalla bars, the Berry one, is quite nice. It isn't like a cinder block nor is it overly fatilicious. Like a big oatmeal cooookie.

KnottedYet
05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey there, gorgeous! I agree on how good Odwalla bars are. Sometimes I just can't tolerate oats, so I avoid them now. Miss them. Mmmmmm they were good.

Sorry I stole your line. The first one, that is.

Actually I don't pack.... bananas. They ride along on top of everything else in my pannier.

winddance
05-30-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm allergic to bananas, so I'm stuck with sport beans! :) I'm planning on going up to the JB factory to see if they have sport bean rejects (or whatever they call them) all cheap like they do the rest of the flavors. How cool would that be?

I have to agree on the cranberry Odwalla bar. That one is pretty tasty. Odwalla bars just kind of annoy me because they're so large. It seems like they could be more compact!

SnappyPix
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Apparently (according to my mother, who isn't to be trusted re historical facts), I used to eat worms as a kid - would dig them up out of the garden. :eek:
I suppose for that very reason I don't particularly care what artificial colouring the beans have in them!

Trek420
05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
winddance "Odwalla bars just kind of annoy me because they're so large. It seems like they could be more compact!"

hold me back.....must resist saying....it's not the size of the Odwalla bar, it's what you do with it :cool:

SadieKate
05-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm allergic to bananas, so I'm stuck with sport beans! :) I'm planning on going up to the JB factory to see if they have sport bean rejects (or whatever they call them) all cheap like they do the rest of the flavors. How cool would that be?Call first. We stop by frequently and they never have Sport Bean flops.

However, they did give me 20% off my last purchase - 2 boxes of beans, a box of sours (the 8 lb box :rolleyes: ) and some tidbits of stuff Bubba wanted. The clerk then throw in a bunch of other stuff for free. Can't beat that.

DirtDiva
05-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Want me to grammar grinch you, or will you find it yourself? :p

jobob
05-31-2006, 06:36 AM
hee hee hee, bus-ted !!!

SadieKate
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Hey, Miss Jobob, I'm not normally up that late but I was waiting to get tomorrow's ETA from someone very special to me, not to mention clean sheets on that someone's bed. Thought she would probably like that:p

I'm lucky that the sentence made any sense at all.

Thanks, girls.

maillotpois
05-31-2006, 08:13 AM
SK - how do you get to the JB factory??

SadieKate
05-31-2006, 08:34 AM
MP, you actually want to go to the outlet store in Vacaville (if you’re doing this on your way home tonight). The store is open until 9 pm.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=50

There is a lot of construction down there, so these directions are somewhat vague. Sorry.

--Exit Monte Vista and follow the signs to the Nut Tree Parkway on the south side.
--Turn into right on Nut Tree Road
--Turn right into the parking lot and an immediate right in front of the stores.
--Go past the first building. The JB Outlet is in the middle of the next building (it has OshKosh on the far end).

If you want to buy sport beans a full box at a time, ask a clerk and be sure to tell them that the box is discounted on-line. Only $22.50 for 24 packs. They may give you more if you buy a couple boxes.

And, lookie! Deadline is today but you can get a free Sport Bean water bottle with online orders.
http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/NewsEvents/NewsStories/4-28-06+New+Sport+Beans+Flavors+Story.htm

If you turn left off Nut Tree Road and then make another left, you’ll find the Pearl Izumi outlet store. You now know the only two reasons we ever go to the outlet mall.

Geonz
05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
They need to do a little website work, too. It says you "get" a bottle... but what the cart says is that you get a "sample pack" for free... and a bottle for $3.99 . Maybe it gets fixed later... who knows?
I'm inclined to stick to Gatorade - if they made the beans in the colors God intended, I might change my mind :-) Bananas are more my size, anyway ... those little things just slip through my fingers :p :p :p

SadieKate
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
And blue Gatorade is natural?

Geonz
05-31-2006, 01:27 PM
On some planets, I suppose! Nope, I can't make myself get that stuff, though a handful of ladies in the club swear it builds strong bodies 16 ways and empowers them mightily. 'Way back near the thread's start I mentioned that insidious pattern in Gatorade. *None* of the newly promoted "endurance" kinds were naturally colored, and I had a free coupon for the stuff so I downed it, but I'm not going to spend money for it.
Why do they make stupid drinks all those wild colors ... but computers are still GREY and BEIGE??? I want sports-car designs...

winddance
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Call first. We stop by frequently and they never have Sport Bean flops.

Curses! I suppose I'll have to go up there anyway, if only to stock up on sport beans and see what else I just happen to stumble across...

hold me back.....must resist saying....it's not the size of the Odwalla bar, it's what you do with it

This is true. That was sort of a general comment, as I lose stuff in my pockets when they are overtaken by the goodness that is the Odwalla bar. So tasty...

DirtDiva
06-01-2006, 02:37 AM
You're only half way there! Quick, before the edit button expires! (Hey, you might wanna clobber me by now, but apparently I'm keeping jobob entertained. :D)

bikerz
06-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Too late, TL! I think by now SK's little typo is set in "virtual" stone!

(OT: where's your race report?)