PDA

View Full Version : Fenders, a Seattle necessity!

KnottedYet
05-27-2006, 10:45 PM
After only a little frustration and a medium glass of wine, I finally got my fenders mostly onto my bike. Two of the bolts were the wrong size for the size/shape of my frame, so I need to either go to the bike shop and buy a couple or go to the hardware store and buy zip-ties. Rather go to the bike shop. More fun, and I can take my bike in with me.

The first set of fenders I tried (Avenir $12) didn't fit my bike at all. The second set (Planet Bike $30) are very spiffy and have little mudflaps. No girlies on the mudflaps, but if I ever find some I'll be sure to add them.

Now I'm all thrilled and hoping it rains tomorrow so I can test the fenders out.

Ooh, and I can put little bumperstickers on my fenders!

Trek420
05-28-2006, 06:32 AM
no girlies on the mudflaps, you'll just have to get the socks

www.sockguy.com/product16.html

"Now I'm all thrilled and hoping it rains tomorrow so I can test the fenders out."

Oh we cyclists are an odd bunch. ;-)

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Wooohoooo! It's raining this morning!

So I've got a tentative plan to meet Quillfred on the bike trail. Gonna tie my back fender on with string and ride the trail to my lbs (they are just off the trail), buy a couple bolts, stick the fender on properly, and ride back. Maybe 30 miles round trip. That should test out the fenders!

Doesn't that seem perfectly reasonable? 15 miles in the rain to buy a pair of 50 cent bolts?

I think I saw those socks at Recycled Cycles. If they've got 'em, I gotta get 'em this morning, too.

(and if I wear them will gorgeous hotties.... blah blah blah? or will they just be offended? ah, the socio-political repercussions of sock choice.)

Trek420
05-28-2006, 07:56 AM
KnottedYet

"(and if I wear them will gorgeous hotties.... blah blah blah? or will they just be offended? ah, the socio-political repercussions of sock choice.)"

well, if they are offended by your socks that just shows they have no sense of humor and are not smart enough to get your oh-so-very-subtle mud-flap reference and you probably would not want them buying you a drink anyway so there!! :p phbbphfttttt :p

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 08:05 AM
No one has ever offered to buy me a drink. (except my friends)

Do strangers actually buy drinks for other strangers, or is that just a myth created by movies and TV shows?

No one has ever asked me out for dinner and a movie, either. (except my friends/snugglebunnies) I've asked, and was told "no, thank you."

Oh, great, now I'm all depressed.

And it's raining harder.

Woe, woe, woe. Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Must. Ride. Bike.

mimitabby
05-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Wooohoooo! It's raining this morning!

So I've got a tentative plan to meet Quillfred on the bike trail. Gonna tie my back fender on with string and ride the trail to my lbs (they are just off the trail), buy a couple bolts, stick the fender on properly, and ride back. Maybe 30 miles round trip. That should test out the fenders!

Doesn't that seem perfectly reasonable? 15 miles in the rain to buy a pair of 50 cent bolts?

I think I saw those socks at Recycled Cycles. If they've got 'em, I gotta get 'em this morning, too.

(and if I wear them will gorgeous hotties.... blah blah blah? or will they just be offended? ah, the socio-political repercussions of sock choice.)

you're happy that it's raining? wah. I am cleaning toilets and doing laundry because it's raining! :confused: :confused:
we are a bit tired of the rain. wah wah wah

donnambr
05-28-2006, 12:45 PM
There could be special girlies for bike mudflaps. They could be riding a bike with a cuter, sportier haircut than the orginal languid girlies. ;)

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Ah, glorious ride in the rain! It was only 25 miles, not the 30 I though it'd be. Had some trouble with the front fender and the blasted dragging brake pad again. LBS fixed them both and even put the new bolts on the back fender.

By the time I got the bike back into my house everything was all wonky again, but the LBS guys showed me how to fix it myself. After the bike and I are all dry and cozy I'll work on the brake and front fender.

Next trick (maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow) cleaning the chain and re-lubing it with Boeshield.

Trek420
05-28-2006, 02:10 PM
donnambr "There could be special girlies for bike mudflaps. They could be riding a bike with a cuter, sportier haircut than the orginal languid girlies. ;)"

and they'd have nicer calves.

there should also be special bike boy mudflaps for them as want 'em, also with nicer calves than the mudflaps y'all currently have on your 18 wheeler.

I think one could retire and just ride all the time if you invent and market the boy truck or bike mudflaps. Only problem some of you could have with the boy mudflaps is your DH would not be caught dead driving your truck ;-)

For those of you in the PNW just got back from a ride with jobob, bikerz & winddancer. I don't even wanna talk about how freakishly beautiful a day it is today. You can lord it over us at some other time.

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I've seen the boy truck mudflaps. They do exist already, making someone a mint. He was in the same pose, with impossible pects and abs and chin.

Since that's not my style, I didn't pay much attention to where I saw them...

Now, the truly sexy girlie bike mudflaps could make ya a bunch of moola, too. I could pose for them... (ha ha HA) Actually, I'm pretty thrilled with my flat tummy and my calves ain't too bad. But I no longer have the right haircut. My boobage might be a bit too dainty (that's where the artist must use discretion) but I am developing buns of steel. Arms, though, someone else would have to pose for the arms.

Oh, man, someone has to do this! And make 'em for motorcycles. Can you imagine D*kes on Bikes parading with 'em?

Trek420
05-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Dang, somone beat me to the "retire and live on the bike" idea.

Guess I'll have to go back to work :(

Do they have mudflaps on motorcycles? I never noticed.

DirtDiva
05-28-2006, 02:31 PM
:D LMAO. It's kinda sorta not even thread drift.

Trek420
05-28-2006, 02:39 PM
whoops, does that mean we need to be in the Tri section? :D

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 02:55 PM
No, no, cuz it's still on topic! Fenders! Really! (ok, maybe my fabulous abs are a bit off topic, but it does harken back to the original fender thing. Dontcha think?):D

velogirl
05-28-2006, 06:38 PM
http://www.buddyflaps.com/mudflapgirl.htm

They're a Seattle company if I recall. The flaps fit on the bottom of your standard fenders. There's a bike club in Seattle that requires them on their race-pace rides (not the ones with the girls, but any buddy flaps).

Eden
05-28-2006, 07:06 PM
heck - I was going to offer to give you a buddy flap for free. I still have probably 1/2 a dozen around from the winter. I seemed to always get stuck behind the person without a buddy flap on all of my team's winter training rides so I made a whole bunch and started handing them out. You'd have to settle for the girl done in black sharpie though....

Quillfred
05-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I can see a low-riding cruiser with a rider to match sporting easy rider handlebars on the way to the Provicetown beach sporting da flaps looookin' coool and catching glances. :cool:

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 07:30 PM
That would be me. :D

Ha ha! Now we just gotta get 'em to make the "sporty girl" version of the girlie flap. They do custom orders....

Velogirl - excellent web searching!

velogirl
05-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I've got Buddy Flaps. Found them through a friend in Seattle. Apparently I was the first purchase outside the Seattle area. And no, I didn't get the girls, but I did get a set of the girls for my favorite mechanic.

Oh, and they're reflective too!

Grog
05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Buddy flaps (with or without pinup) are an absolute necessity on winter paceline. There's so much stuff flying from the rear wheel, and no fender goes low enough to prevent the flying from happening. So the flaps (which I make out of water bottles) are a safety item, because all that stuff flying can be quite dangerous on winter roads...

Trek420
05-29-2006, 07:56 AM
Grog "So the flaps (which I make out of water bottles)...."

How do you do that? Other than recycle them I never know what to do with old, yucky water bottles. :confused:

Dianyla
05-30-2006, 03:43 PM
How do you do that? Other than recycle them I never know what to do with old, yucky water bottles. :confused:
Cut the bottom and the top of the waterbottle off, then section the body in half vertically from top to bottom. This will produce a nice curved 4" wide flap with a narrow neck which you use as a fastening point to ziptie/poprivet to the end of your fenders.

ETA: Here's a visual:
http://www.tandemhearts.com/bike/ramb/thumbs/riv-mud--flap.jpg