PDA

View Full Version : tri-suit with serious support needed

sandtella
05-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I am training for my first sprint triathlon in the beginning of July and am looking to purchase a tri-suit. I need some help finding a top with good support. I am a C/D cup and don't want to be bouncing during the run. It seems as if most suit tops have shelf bras, but I don't think that that will be enought support. Will I have to wear a tri-bra top and then a tri-tank over that to get enough support? I am worried that will increase potential chafing.

Any suggestions from more experienced, larger that average chested triathletes would be welcome.

Thanks!

KnottedYet
05-27-2006, 06:01 PM
When I was larger than average (36 D) I bought a large Wacoal CW-X bra. It was heavenly. Now that I'm smaller I bought a medium CW-X. Like, ordered it Thursday and got it today. I intend to wear the bra and a pair of tri-shorts or compression shorts in the Seattle Danskin.

I don't have much boobage anymore, but what I do have is, well, floppy. If you know what I mean. So I'm sticking with my all-time favorite and MAKING it a tri-suit. (black bra, black shorts. What's not to love?)

www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1120

colby
05-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't have too much experience myself, but I did buy a danskin suit (the only one I could try on, I was so afraid to buy without trying -- and I would have been way off on sizing). I am also a C/D myself. The shelf bra feels like it might support me for a short run and definitely for walking, but is questionable for a longer run. I wear my normal sports bra underneath it (the Hind Nexus) and it feels a little tighter than just the suit alone around the shoulders/armpits. I have been running in the suit with sports bra since I got it.

If you have anywhere you can try (no pun intended!) a tri suit on, I would take your sports bra and give it a shot. You might be able to get away with the shelf bra, you might feel okay with both, you might feel better in a tri suit without a shelf bra and just use your sports bra, you might feel better in separates.. it's hard to tell. You might have to go a size up from the normal size to fit with a bra, provided that fits everywhere else too (that didn't work for me, it was way too loose up top and around the legs).

I really like the feel of the suit over separates, but I am glad as the first time buying the suit that I had a chance to try it on first. The first thing I did when I brought it home was try it with and without my sports bra. It's definitely gray area, but if you are used to wearing good support and want to run, you'll probably want to wear the bra under the suit. There are some suits (TE sells many) that don't have the shelf at all.

Danskin says their suits are good up to a C, I think that's fairly accurate unless you're a "generous" C (or sometimes/always a D). I'd imagine most suits are made from similar material. You could always bug their customer support to find out :)

colby
05-27-2006, 06:05 PM
When I was larger than average (36 D) I bought a large Wacoal CW-X bra. It was heavenly. Now that I'm smaller I bought a medium CW-X. Like, ordered it Thursday and got it today. I intend to wear the bra and a pair of tri-shorts or compression shorts in the Seattle Danskin.

I saw your link somewhere else (congrats on the size decrease ;)). CWX says the Large is a 36B/C. Did it feel too small?

I wear the Nexus now, but the CWX sounds really nice. I've looked at other CWX stuff for winter sports, they sure know how to support the body. I'm just afraid it'd be too small.

Edit: PS: I think it'd fit way better with a tri suit, too. The Nexus is just a little bulky (but very supportive).

KnottedYet
05-27-2006, 06:22 PM
No, it wasn't too small. I wanted the bra so bad (because I sweat and soaked my Moving Comforts and they get clammy) that I took the risk, and it fit just fine. Amazingly fine. I was a 36 D, but could also wear a 38 C at the time.

Only recently did it start getting so big (or did I get so small?) that I sagged over the bottom band. Until then the support web coped well, though the shell fabric got very wrinkly and wadded up under my boobage.

The shell and liner are very very thin. The support comes from the web system between the two layers. It breathes very well and dries very quickly. I've never gotten the clammy cold shivers from this bra.

I've run, biked, walked, and kayaked in it. Never chafed on me.

Added bonus: I have ummmm perky fronts. "Headlights". And when I'm cold they are VERY perky. It's embarrassing. BUT this bra eliminates the perky-problem, maybe because the suport web crosses over the perky bits.

colby
05-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I think I'll get one and see how it compares to the Nexus. I think it'd fit better under the trisuit if I choose to wear it, and I would look less like a dork with a black bra showing than a white anyway ;)

May this thread now return to its previous discussion of larger boobage trisuits!

mel1976
05-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I saw an article on beginner triathlete about this same issue and the reviewer recommended a tri suit from jam trisuits. She indicated that she didn't think much of the colours, but they provided excellent support. I believe the writer was a 36D in size.

http://www.jamtrisuits.com/

Hope this helps

Brina
05-28-2006, 04:14 AM
I asked this question about a month ago. The consensus seems to be a bra under the trisuit is the only real option. I think for me that will definitely true. I wore a tri top to spin class one day and it didn't have enough support for a standing run, so i can only imagine how uncomfortable an actual run would be. Do a search on boobage and a couple of good threads will come up.

Brina
05-28-2006, 04:17 AM
I saw an article on beginner triathlete about this same issue and the reviewer recommended a tri suit from jam trisuits. She indicated that she didn't think much of the colours, but they provided excellent support. I believe the writer was a 36D in size.

http://www.jamtrisuits.com/

Hope this helps

wow, those colors are truely awful. pink and purple and green - mixed together. but they are on sale for only $90

ptsheridan
05-28-2006, 05:31 AM
I have the same issue. I am in my first tri in 4 weeks. On recommendations from triathletes in this discussion forum, I am going to be wearing a sports Bra (either the Maia from Moving Comfort or someone told me to try the Enell) under my Tri Suit. The Tri Suit I picked is a Fuel Tri Suit from Sugoi. Love it!

Good luck to you!

btchance
05-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Even though I'm not exactly big upfront, I still wear my sports bra underneath. I just made sure it was dri-fit and looked at how it was cut under my arms, ie not too tight or upclose to the folds. I had no problems this weekend with it, and it made changing after the race much easier!

sandtella
05-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the input. I think I will give up the search for a truly supportive tri suit or tank and focus on finding a comfortable, supportive and quick dry sports bra to wear underneath my top. I think I am going to try the CW-X bra top. I looks like it won't be too bulky under a suit. I guess I was just holding out hope for a miracle top.

I agree on the color selections for the Jamsuits. Wow!

KnottedYet
05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I think I injured my eyeballs on those Jamsuit colors. And the apalling amount of pink and lavender text.

Ow.

I need to hear some Eurythmics and Bow Wow Wow to get me through this 80's flashback.

(I admit it. I wore those color combinations. It was the decade. Everyone was doing it...)