PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale H800 (1996) & Buying used bikes

natheless
05-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Hi all,

I've been shopping for a used hybrid to use as a commuter, and I've got a lead on a Cannondale H800 from 1996 - apparently not used very much. It's a bit older than I was hoping to find, but I figure if it was a good bike to start with and it's been stored in a reasonable way, it should still be just fine for my purposes.

I have two burning questions at the moment:

1) I'm not at all familiar with this model, and wonder if anyone can clue me in at all before I go look at it?

2) Does it seem reasonable to ask $150 for a 10 year old bike?

(She said she paid $900 for it when it was new - I guess to me whether it's worth it will depend on whether it needs significant amounts of tuning up and replacement tires and such-like.)

Thanks for any advice/opinions!

Brina
05-30-2006, 05:59 AM
I have an H600 from 1996 and I love it. I still ride it pretty regularly - it is my "pull the burley" bike. The bike is aluminum, so a light but stiff ride. The components were good for the time, the h800 obviously had better components than my h600. It is a well made bike that has held up well for me. The original price she is quoting is probably correct as I paid about $650 for mine, if I remember correctly. I really have no idea what a correct resale would be.

mimitabby
05-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi all,

I've been shopping for a used hybrid to use as a commuter, and I've got a lead on a Cannondale H800 from 1996 - apparently not used very much. It's a bit older than I was hoping to find, but I figure if it was a good bike to start with and it's been stored in a reasonable way, it should still be just fine for my purposes.

I have two burning questions at the moment:

1) I'm not at all familiar with this model, and wonder if anyone can clue me in at all before I go look at it?

2) Does it seem reasonable to ask $150 for a 10 year old bike?

(She said she paid $900 for it when it was new - I guess to me whether it's worth it will depend on whether it needs significant amounts of tuning up and replacement tires and such-like.)

Thanks for any advice/opinions!

yes, i think 150 for a 10 year old bike in good working condition is a great price. I bet the same bike in a shop would cost 200 or even a little more.

tprevost
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
The price sounds reasonable to me as I have a very good friend that bought one (can't remember if she got the H600 or 800??) but its an aluminum frame and she still loves it today (10-12 years later) and I think she paid $700+ for it back then.

Tracy

ps. I had a T700 Cannondale touring bike that I just sold last month for $450 so if its in good shape, that's a great price.

natheless
05-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, I ended up not going for the Cannondale - it was a bit too small of a frame for me to start with, and then there was rust and it was definitely going to need some other work, too.

I got tired of hunting the classifieds and just bought a new hybrid instead.
:D

The Bianchi Avenue is a great l'il beast of burden, and so reasonably priced that I can feel free to beat the hell out of it trying to ride trails with my MTB friends as well as commuting to work on it, and going to the grocery store...

Must... stop... buying... bicycles...

...for at least a couple years. ;)

mimitabby
06-01-2006, 09:38 AM
sounds like you got a nice bike! Bianchi avenue it comes in two colors, which did you get?
Let us know how you like it.

I am waiting for MY bianchi to come too. it's in a fedex van somewhere in Washington state.

natheless
06-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I got the silver/gray Avenue (women's version)... it's a little bit funny, because I recently bought a road bike that is also silver... so I have a very small fleet of silver bikes with black accents now. :p

I really like the Avenue so far - she has different skills and interests than my road bike, and I just don't have to be nervous about taking her anywhere I want to go, or loading her down with groceries. She's steel and so feels a bit like a tank, and has a nice smooth ride.

What kind of Bianchi are you expecting? (I was lusting after the Bergamo, but couldn't justify spending that much right now.)