PDA

View Full Version : First Triathlon maybe?

Wizzer
05-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I am looking into doing my very first Triathlon. I have completed a Century ride and would very much like to give a Sprint Triathlon a try.

I think the unknown is the main thing holding me back. I am not the best runner or swimmer, so it makes me nervous.

Advice?

Wizzer

Tri Girl
05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm by no means a tri expert, but you have to go for it if you are thinking about it!! You obviously are fit and can handle the distance. Doing my first one was scary, but only because I didn't know. Now I get butterflies, but because I'm excited more than scared. If possible, try to find a race in your community that you can bike and run the course ahead of time so you'll know all the turns, twists, ins and outs. And remember, that at every tri, there are people there doing it for their first time, too, so you'll never be alone in losing your "tri virginity."
Go for it!!!!:D

Running Mommy
05-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't wait!! Find one that suits your fancy and sign up!! I spent a good 6 months on the fence while I tried to become a better swimmer. Finally I just signed up and it was the best thing I ever did! It was hard to take the plunge, esp. since I'm a weak swimmer, but I'm so glad I took the leap. It really has changed my life. And the funny thing... I've yet to meet one person who "tried" a tri and didn't become hooked! They are soo fun! Plus the three discplines mean there is always another workout you can do if you don't feel like doing the one originally planned. No single sport burnout is the biggest plus IMO.

JoyfullySo
05-26-2006, 05:46 PM
After my first (and only, so far) tri, my Hubby and I were talking about how varied the participants were in physique, age, speed/ skill level, etc. If you want to- do it. You may really suprise yourself how much you can improve once you begin a training program.

Allow me to have an Oprah moment:
I believe that the desire to participate in a triathlon, or any other endurance sport, is a desire that comes from your heart. To shy away from it because of self-doubt would be denying yourself of a great opportunity.

P.S. I missed you guys for the past few days, can't you tell??
I am posting to almost every thread on the board.

jsgeneroso
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi.

Tha hardest part of a triathlon is showing up. ;o)

KSH
06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Train.

Train like you race... race like you train.

If you train and take this off in little bites, you will see that you can accomplish this goal.

Yes, it's scary. And even with proper training, you will still be scared until you jump in the water and start swimming. But, you will finish, because you have trained.

Make a training plan. Do bricks (bike/run combos), and stick to it.

Also, www.beginnertriathlete.com, is a wealth of information has had a "couch to sprint tri" training program you can follow.

Best of luck to you!

Slow but Steady
06-07-2006, 07:16 PM
I will do my first tri at the Danskin in Seattle in August. Much trepidation involved. I have questions about two things. Is it worthwhile to invest in a bicycle seat specifically for women? Where in the Seattle area can you find tri suits? I want to try one on (no pun intended) before I buy.:cool: