PDA

View Full Version : First Tri Saturday

btchance
05-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Okay, I wasn't too nervous until today. I just received the email from the race organizers giving the final directions and it finally hit me that I'm actually doing it. Now, I'm starting to freak out. This is nothing new for me, as I always got extremely nervous before horse shows, but there I always could find something to keep me occupied and I had tons of people to talk to. However, I have no idea what I can do at the tri to keep myself distracted after I get body marked and get my transition area set up. I definately can't warm up for an hour plus like I did at horse shows :rolleyes: I might be pretty tired then. I know I can do the course with no problems, I mean I've biked it twice with no problems making what for me is good time, the swim is in the pool, and the run, well, I'll just have to push through it knowing that one of my friends is there watching who likes to run marathons and I don't want to look like an idiot in front of her (like she would care anyways, she's one of the most supportive people out there, this is just me freaking out).

Now I'm off to study for boards again, double check my check list, and attempt to lay everything out before putting it in my bags. If I can just make sure my cat doesn't steal any of it. I'm still missing socks and head bands that she has stolen when I'm folding laundry. Hey, if I forget anything, I can just use the excuse that my cat ate it, right :D

Pyannyplayer
05-25-2006, 09:51 AM
I was nervous WEEKS before my first tri. I then decided that I would have the attitude of just doing my best, don't drown, fall off the bike, or trip, and finish, which is what I did. That's actually my attitude all this summer...NO PRESSURE. I'm saving that for next year! ;)

I have a checklist for things to take with me and I check it twice, sometimes three times. I also practice my transitions just to make sure I have everything.

After getting checked in and marked, I like to check out where the entrances/exits are for biking and running, check out the pool, that sort of thing. You will want to do some warmup; some people like to ride their bikes to the race, some jog "around the block", others do jumping jacks. For me, just checking exits and warming up keeps my mind occupied. You can also strike up a conversation with the person next to you in the rack. The majority of racers are really, REALLY nice people.

Good luck! Triathlons are a ton of fun and I'm thankful that a dear friend of mine introduced me to this cool sport!

Lorie

KSH
05-25-2006, 10:38 AM
GOOD LUCK!!!!

You will do great!

And the time from when you get there and setup... until the start... will FLY by. I personally use the time to get in the pool to warm up. I can't just sprint 300 yards early in the morning.

If you do have extra time... why not put on some music and focus on finishing the race with all your goals accomplished? Get inspired and visualize success.

I hope you have fun! Make sure you give us a detailed report when it's done!

Lise
05-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Have a great time! I find it helps a lot to talk to someone more nervous than I am. By helping her (or him) relax and enjoy themself, I do, too! Looking forward to the report. :D L.

lnewv5
05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Good luck this weekend!!! You will do wonderfully, I'm sure.

Like KSH said, the time FLIES by. By the time you lay all your stuff out, rearrange it a few times, do a quick warmup, you'll wonder where all the time went. The biggest wait time for me was waiting to start the swim as the 200 people in front of me went. But, to kill time, you talk to everyone waiting with you, and they're all super nice. I got a little intimidated when they started saying - oh, this is my nth triathlon. But when I told them it was my first, they were really supportive. I would recommend as you're sitting there waiting to think about workouts you've had in the past few weeks where you felt awesome, and that adds to the confidence level.

It's a little late now, but for anyone else who is new, I would recommend going to a triathlon before yours. Even if it's a different length, it's great to get a feel for the "triathlon atmosphere" and take a look at the transition areas so you know what to expect.

btchance - As a sidenote, you rock since you are able to train and go to med school at the same time. My boyfriend is starting this coming fall, and the application process has not been a good time. ;)

Tri Girl
05-25-2006, 04:26 PM
You'll do great!!! :D
I was scared the whole week before my first race. Before the race began, I was talking to a girl in my tri club, and she said something to me that really helped me relax. She told me to enjoy every minute: the scenery, the sounds, the atmosphere, the feelings. She said not to look at my watch and worry about times. You can't ever get back your first triathlon, and it's a very special day.
All throughout the race I kept thinking about that. I never looked at my watch and really enjoyed the experience. And I actually did better than I thought I would. I think it's because I was so relaxed and had fun. Doesn't mean I wasn't nervous as all heck, but I had a great time.

Also, I'm seriously OC (obsessive/compulsive) when it comes to checking my gear before a race. I lay everything out, then check the list twice, pack each sport into a separate bag, then finally put it in my car. At the race site, I set up my transition area, listen to music that gets me pumped up, and warm up in the water. Then "it's on."
I always pack way more than I need because if I have it, I won't need it.

You'll do GREAT!!!!! Please let us know all about the race when you finish!!! And post pics if you get any!!! Good luck! :)

btchance
05-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm just naturally someone who gets really nervous (although I've calmed down a bit at the moment). I'll definately keep you updated as to how it goes.

lnewv5, I hope your boyfriend got into the school he wanted. I know how hard, and stressful, it is. I was not an easy person to live with at the time. If either of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. As far as training during school, it's the only way I stay sane. I have a tendency to study until I get fed up, go work out, then go back and study again. Some of my friends have been known to make me go train when I start acting like "that." ;) I'm sure you know what I mean.

Grog
05-25-2006, 07:12 PM
btchance - As a sidenote, you rock since you are able to train and go to med school at the same time. My boyfriend is starting this coming fall, and the application process has not been a good time. ;)

I hope you don't expect things to change dramatically for the next... hum... at least six years?

My partner is finishing second year as we speak (and studying his head off at this very moment) and whereas normally he has the same sort of schedule as btchance (study until fed up, work out, study again until late late late), he's not even training at this moment (which doesn't help with keeping things in perspective, I'm afraid). The coming years will probably be very trying on your relationship at times, but it certainly is an important dream for him and I am sure the two of you will become stronger in the process. :) Good luck!

Grog
05-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Good luck on your tri btchance! I'm sure you'll find tons of things to do and the time will just go by too fast.

It's just you now, no horse! Enjoy the ride!

Running Mommy
05-25-2006, 07:29 PM
You will do FABULOUS!! I just know it! And FWIW I still get nervous before *any* race, no matter how small or how many times I've done it. I think it just comes w/ the territory.. :)
My only advice is this... As you are coming to the end of each disclipline get your mind into what you need to do as soon as you hit transition. Do a quick mental run down and start preparing yourself for it. And on the bike don't forget to soft pedal or spin the last 5 or so minutes. It helps w/ the legs for the run. And when you hit the run you WILL feel like CRAP for the first 5 minutes. Just realize it's coming and run through it. It really will pass and you will feel so much stronger for gutting out that rough patch.
But most of all HAVE FUN!!!!! That;s why we do this, right??? :D

lnewv5
05-26-2006, 06:04 AM
btchance - I'll let you know if we have questions - thanks for the offer. He's currently in at Temple, not his first choice, but at least he's in somewhere. He's on 4 waitlists, so we're perpetually waiting. Duke is our first choice, and they have more waitlist movement after June 1, so keep your fingers crossed for us!! He's done everything he can do to try to get off their waitlist, so we will see what happens. I'm glad the med school/training combo works for you. He also does triathlons, and I have a feeling it's also going to be the thing that keeps him sane.

Grog - We're so focused on trying to get into the right school that sometimes I forget what a huge change it's going to be. Fortunately, we've been through a lot in our relationship (4 years long distance during undergrad), that I'm very confident that we'll get through the next 6 (even 8) years of medical training. I've always looked at this process as "we're going to med school" because I don't think we could get through it if it wasn't a team effort. Also, I have a lot of independent interests that I think will help get me through it. At any rate - any words of advice of how you manage?

btchance - I definitely didn't want to hijack your thread. One day left!! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

JoyfullySo
05-26-2006, 03:08 PM
You will be great!!! I agree with everyone else- the time FLYS by!!
I was freaking out for about my tri for about 2 weeks. Somewhere in the last 24 hours before the race I decided to have fun with the race. So, just breathe and enjoy the experience.

We are medical school/residency survivors, too. I equate some parts of it with H@#* week in Navy Seal training. It wasn't the studying- it was the rotations that were hard. I remember being very worried about DH giving up ALL activities that he participated in before he started rotations. But sometimes, no matter how good for you , something extra is just too much. It really helped to befriend other couples in med school/ residency.

Best of luck on your race- enjoy it and please post a full report and pics!!

btchance
05-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys, I picked up my packet this evening, went to the prerace meeting, and just finished packing everything. I'm doing pretty good right now, we'll just see if I sleep :rolleyes: Bet not. Anyways, I'll let you know how it went sometime tomorrow. thanks for all the encouragement.

Lise
05-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I love picking up my packet! Have a great time.

I'm going to Utah for a conference--hope I'll find a way to get online, but not positive. So if I disappear, just know that I'll be looking forward to reading your report when I get back! :D L.

Lise
05-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Soooooooooooo....you're probably setting up your transition area now, and will hit the water soon. Go! Swim! Bike! Run! Have a great time! Wow! Wasn't that fun?

Seriously, all best wishes to you on your first tri. You'll never forget it.

:D Lise

btchance
05-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I just put the race report up in the race section. Thanks gals for your encouragement.

Kim