PDA

View Full Version : bike shop in Bar Harbor, ME area?

SpinSis
05-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi ladies,
BF and I are headed up to Winter Harbor, ME first week in June for a week of RandR, and bike riding around Schoodic Penisula. BF is going up to Bar Harbor next week for a conference before our vacation. He is looking for a bike shop in that area where he could drop off his bike for a tune-up before I arrive. He hasn't ridden yet this season, and I've offered to do the work myself, but unlikely to get done before he leaves (since we still live in two households) Any recommendations of a an LBS in Bar Harbor from the Maine TE gals?
Thanks,
Stacy

Surlygirl
05-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Stacy
I know there is the Bar Harbour Bike Shop that also rents bikes. You can google it
Also try this link:
http://www.bikemaine.org/trails/bike_shops.htm
You are going to love it up there. Make sure you stop in the Jordan Pond House in Acadia for tea, popovers and lobster bisque. :D
Jody

oldbikah
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes, definately go to the Bar Harbor Bicycle Shop at 141 Cottage St (there is another shop, but I recommend this one highly...my son used to work there).
They are busy, so you might want to call ahead for a tune (207-288-3886). Joe Minutolo is the owner.
Great time of year to ride the island, the Park loop, carriage trails, etc. It is all nice.

SpinSis
05-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I've passed along the info to BF. He may actually check out the Ellsworth location, because we need to swing through there for groceries before heading off the Camp in Winter Harbor. Yes, the area is LOVELY. Chris and I went last fall. We are renting a camp on the water facing Frenchman's Bay, and Ironbound Island blocks the view of Bar Harbor, so it feels very remote. Each morning we can watch from bed as the cruise ships arrive and disappear behind Ironbound. Fabulously less crowded on Schoodic. If I could figure out how, I'd post a photo so you can have an "ah" moment...
Thanks again!

DeniseGoldberg
05-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Fabulously less crowded on Schoodic. If I could figure out how, I'd post a photo so you can have an "ah" moment...
That's such a beautiful location! If anyone is interested in a glimpse of this area, there are pictures of the Schoodic penninsula on this page (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?page_id=23048) of the journal of my trip to Downeast Maine last spring.

Stacy -
I could say that I'm jealous, but I'm actually heading back up there at the end of June too. Have a great time!
--- Denise

Veronica
05-26-2006, 05:11 AM
When will you be there Denise? Cindy and I are flying into Portland on June 26 and will be touring for about three weeks - exact plans still to be determined. For sure heading up the coast at some to go to Acadia. I think we could spend the entire three weeks in Maine.

I'm loking forward to cream horns, whoopie pies, Italian sandwiches and lobster rolls. :D

V.

DeniseGoldberg
05-26-2006, 05:32 AM
When will you be there Denise? Cindy and I are flying into Portland on June 26 and will be touring for about three weeks - exact plans still to be determined.
Too bad - we're just going to miss each other! I will be riding in Acadia on the 26th and then heading for home (via my fossil-fuel-powered vehicle). It would be fun to meet though... And I will be interested to hear where you two decide to ride.

I'll be driving to Bangor on June 22nd after work - well, not quite after work since I'll probably leave the office at about 2! I'll only be in Maine for 4 days, doing day trips this time as opposed to touring. I'll spend 2 days in Acadia (Friday & Monday), and 2 in the Jonesport area - including (I hope!) a visit to the puffins. I have a reservation for the boat, the ocean just has to cooperate.

--- Denise

petals
06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Do you plan on biking the carriage roads through park? Also fun to watch sunset from the top!! Please enjoy the park it is one of my favorite places to ride. While I love road bikes, I enjoy renting the mountain bikes and riding on the carriage trails. The trail named Around the Mountain is beautiful at the top with great Ocean Views!!