PDA

View Full Version : Correct Riding Position

CycleChic06
05-24-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi everyone,
This is sorta piggy-back off another thread, but it wasn't really answered so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm relatively new to cycling. I got really into it last summer, riding in my good ole Jamis hybrid from college. After a while I felt very limited in the distances I could go on that bike and a few months ago I bought a road bike, clipless pedals and all (so far I have fallen only once in a very embarrasing moment in front of the cute guy that lives across the street from me).

ANYWAY, I've been wondering what the optimal riding position is on a road bike. Someone had mentioned keeping your back flat...but what about your feet? Should they stay flat or is pointing them a bit ok?

Thanks!

Geonz
05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Falling in front of cute guys justmeans they think you've fallen for them. It's not necessarily a bad thing :-)

Can't answer your question at all. I'm still hybridizing.

AuntieK
05-24-2006, 07:14 AM
I recently went in for a bike fitting, and was told that I needed to fix my position on the bike. Here are some tips I was given:

First, sit up straight, and with good posture (back flat, chest out, chin down) on your bike (easier if on a trainer). Bend over from your hips, keeping the same good posture. In this position you will be sitting more on your pubic bone (bothersome at first, still trying to get used to it). Also, I've noticed when I'm in this position my thighs tend to bump my tummy. When I have the tummy bump going on, I know I've got it right.

About the feet: if you were standing around tippy-toed, you could only stand that way for a little while before your calves got too tired. But if you stood there flat footed, your calves could stand to be that way all day. Same goes on the bike: less fatigue for your calves if you ride flat-footed.

luv'nAustin
05-24-2006, 08:02 AM
I was also told that you have more power with your foot in a flat position.

FreshNewbie
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Did he rush to help you get up??? :p

On the downstroke your heels should point down, sort of digging with your heels (especially if its on a hill) for the rest of the stroke your foot should be flat. I always practice it in the cycling class because i started off with a really weird looking way of pedalling :-)

CR400
05-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Well a similare topic started a 300 post debate over at bicycling.com.

Anyway what I get out of it is that if you are climbing lead with the heel all the way around the stroke. If you are spinning fast or just plain going fast the heel is held up and you point your foot down slightly.

Well hey, thats what I usually do anyway. I could be wrong. But when I climb I naturally find my self leading with my heel, while spinning and speed like above, even on hills if they are short enough.

Bike Goddess
05-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Auntie K- You have a good bike fitter! He/she gave you excellent advice! Yes, riding with your heels down is the correct way to ride. I ride with my heels down 99% of the time.

Also when pedaling Up hills- just think you are scraping mud off the bottoms of your feet. That way you will get the most power out of your stroke.

Keeping your back straight will keep your back from getting tired. However, I suggest that you do ab exercises to strengthen that area. That will also make a big difference on long rides.

CycleChic06
05-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to experiment with foot position and trying to flatten my foot as I ride. But after a while my mind wanders and I go back having my heel up. I guess it's just something I'll have to get used to with practice. It makes sense, actually, it's the general rule of having the weight on the ball of your foot works the calves and can damage the knee, but when you have your weight on your heel (similar to riding with your heel down), it works butt and thighs. That would explain why my calves are beautifully toned, but my thighs are...well, not.

But CR400, you are saying that while spinning its ok to point your foot slightly?

And, the cute guy asked if I was ok, but didn't actually come over (I guess that says something about him). And I'm not one to play damsel in distress and lie there until he helps me. I got up, laughed and told him I was ok (even though there was a gash on my leg) and eventually rode off.