PDA

View Full Version : Runing Coaching- Update- Week 5

KSH
05-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, I met with my running coach for the 5th week.

I don't know if you guys really care about reading about my progress... but someone might? So, I will continue to post as the weeks tick by.

Today we focused on running drills.

Jumping this way and that way. Getting my arms working properly. Making sure I wasn't sinking into my hip and not letting my knees fall inwards as I landed. Also wanted to make sure that I had power as I hit the ground and pushed off.

I didn't complete any running today though.

The last set of drills... I was horrible at. So, no running.

He said that once I can get the last set of drills I did today, down pat... then we will move to tempo runs.

The tempo runs will be short... and I will only run as far as I can keep perfect form. Each week the tempo runs will be lengthened as I gain more strength and I can run further will perfect form.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I just have to stay focused and be OK with possibly missing this season.

colby
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Don't worry, I think people are reading ;) It's interesting to see how you make progress and how long the process really is. Plus, it makes us non-runners really feel like there is hope!

Grog
05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I am totally reading because I am curious about running form. I might get into some coaching sometime... I am sure there is more to it than just a hop between every step!

KSH
05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
First off, thanks for reading.

I know when I finally post that I was able to run a mile... straight... with no pain... everyone will CHEER for me.

As far as the form goes... if you have read anything about Evolution Running... then you pretty much have the idea. Mid-foot strike with a fast cadence. Less stretching of the stride in front of you. It does require more of a "knees up" motion... which can be hard to do. And... never do a heel plant with a roll to your toes.

I hope that someday soon, I am able to run like the wind... or... a 10 minute mile... whichever comes first.

tprevost
05-23-2006, 05:48 PM
KSH,

Keep Posting! I for one, love to hear of your progress! AND, I am sending you good vibes!!!!!

Keep it up and you'll be running in no time! :D

Tracy

Nanci
05-24-2006, 03:46 AM
I'm enjoying reading it!

Nanci

rocknrollgirl
05-25-2006, 02:33 AM
How did you find a coach?, and is it very expensive?

Ruth

KSH
05-25-2006, 05:54 AM
How did you find a coach?, and is it very expensive?

Ruth

I found him in a local sports magazine. His advertisement said that he could help fix pain associated with running. And, I was having A LOT of pain everytime I ran.

Expensive?

Well, honestly, I am getting a deal. He is just starting his business, so I know he cut me a HUGE deal to keep me on as a client. I should be paying $90 a session, but I'm not. If he weren't giving me a discount, I would consider it expensive.