PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Trek FX Bikes

maggiedatongue
05-23-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi all. I'm hoping to buy a new bike someday and am going through the research process. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on this line of bikes? I use my bike to commute to work and would like to have a bike that is faster and lighter than my current mtb with slicks (Giant Boulder SE) and I still want to be comfy going on our hard packed trail system. I'm also drooling over the Specialized Sirrus model.

Thanks!

Maggie

uforgot
05-24-2006, 02:22 AM
I have a Trek 7.2fx wsd. It's my commuter and I really like it. I read a lot before purchasing it, and it seems that everyone (including my lbs) advised getting the 7.2 as opposed to a higher end one, (up to 7.7fx) because it is a hybrid bike, (Trek calls it a "fitness" bike), and it just isn't worth putting high end components on this frame. Someone mentioned it was like putting BMW parts on a Honda...but I love it. It serves its purpose well, doesn't have any suspension, so its lighter and easy to ride. I replaced the seat with a Women's Selle. Mine was aroung $400, and it has given me the opportunity to see what I want in a bike later, and what kind of riding I like to do. This bike can go anywhere, though. I take it on the Katy Trail (rail trail), or on paved roads. The tires are puncture resistant. Some people say you shouldn't buy one of these and just get a good road bike, but I don't think that's always the case. It's just a workhorse, perfect for my needs, fit my budget and I will keep it forever. I've added a rack, trunk and panniers so I can take all kinds of stuff to work and also stop at the grocery store. Hope this helps!

SandyGirl
05-24-2006, 02:25 AM
I used to live about 45 minutes from there (Ballwin)and rode my mtn bike on it often...I miss it! Now I am in the cornfields of Illinois. I must visit KT soon!
Sandy

maggiedatongue
05-24-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks uforgot. Any info helps. I've been reading a lot of good things about these bikes. They don't have the FX bikes at my LBS, but I am going to another city for a visit in June and they do carry the FX line so I will do some testing.

brok
05-24-2006, 06:25 AM
I have a 7300FX that I use as a "ride on crushed limetone trails and around town for errands" bike. It is great for those two applications. Before I bought my road bike, I had a 7700FX with carbon fork and seat stays. It was an awesome bike - I just wanted to get into the road bike positions for long rides. My sister is currently riding it and loves it. As always, components get better on the higher priced bikes, you just have to decided the type of riding and what you are willing to spend. Good luck

Shimpie
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
I have a 7.3 fx and a Trek 1200 road bike. I bought the 7.3 fx for commuting when I discovered debris filled gutters weren't nice on skinny 650c tires. I have a two mile section in my commute where the bike lane disappears and I'm forced to play gutter bunny. :D

What you purchase will depend on what conditions/surfaces you'll be riding most, and what you might want to carry. I prefer my road bike for hilly 20 miles fun rides. I prefer my other bike for the ocassional 13 mile commute to work because it has a rack and panniers. Instead of a sweaty back pack, my saddle bags carry my change of clothes, lunch, jacket, etc.