PDA

View Full Version : Trek 5000 Anyone?

kaybee
05-22-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm having a tough time finding a new bike, not because I'm hard to fit, but because shops in this area just do not carry many WSD bikes. I thought I had it figured out and put a deposit on a Specialized Ruby Comp, but LBS called a day later and told me that, due to the high demand for this bike, he may not be able to get it for me. I rode a Trek 5000 over the weekend and liked it. It's a carbon frame with a mix of 105 and Ultegra components, whereas the Ruby is all 105. The Trek is a triple; the Ruby is a compact double which my LBS will switch for a triple (assuming they can get the bike to begin with). Plus, the Trek is $400 cheaper. It seems that the Trek may be a better bike for me, but am I missing something here?

KB

Trekhawk
05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Cant tell you if you are missing anything but I have a Trek 5000 Man Bike as someone on TE called non WSD.

Its a great bike and the ride is pretty smooth.

I recently got a Colnago C50 and love it but I still really love riding my Trek so that must tell you something.

Good luck with the search.:)

brok
05-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Kaybee,

Can't tell you specifically about a Trek 5000, but I have a Trek Madone WSD - carbon, and I really love the ride and fit. I would vote for the Trek:D Just my $.02 worth!!

kaybee
05-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Thanks, Trekhawk and Brok. I actually did ride the man's version, since the shop I was in didn't have the WSD. They had a WSD at another store, but it was late, I was tired, and didn't feel like driving across Atlanta to get there. The man's version was just a touch too big, but I did like the feel of the bike, so I'll probably go back to the other store and ride the WSD. I actually rode the Madone a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, it's out of my price range, so I can't even consider it.

Thanks again for the input. Must_make_a_decision.

KB

massbikebabe
05-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Kaybee

I have a Trek 5200 which I think may have been replaced by the 5000 last year and they reissued the 5200 this year. I think the only difference is, mine has all Ultegra componets. I think you would be doing well with the 5000. I've taken one for a spin and really liked it, didn't find much difference from my 5200.

karen

Cari
05-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I haven't tried either bike, but wanted to make a comment about the compact double vs. triple cranks. Is the triple crankset on the Trek 105, Ultegra, or Bontrager? What brand/model are the compact doubles on the Specialized? Do you know what cassette is in each of those bikes? Will you be doing a lot of touring or climbing with this bike?

Depending on the brand/model and weight of each set of cranks, you may be better off (save weight and get smoother shifting) by sticking with the compact double and using a 12-25 or 12-27 cassette.

~Cari

kaybee
05-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Cari, the Trek has a Bonrager Race crank (52/39/30) with a Shimano 105 12-25, 10 speed cassette. The Ruby comes standard with an FSA Gossamer compact crankset and a Shimano 105, 12-27, 10-speed cassette. I would have the compact swapped for the Shimano 105 triple.

We live in north Georgia, which is hilly, and I doubt that I'll be touring, but think that my "mature" knees would be happier with the triple. In fact, my LBS suggested that I take my current bike (which has a triple) out to a hill that I normally use my granny gear to climb and stop shifting when I got to my second-to-last gear to see how it felt. I did that, and although I got to the top of the hill, it was slow and difficult.

KB

Mags...
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
hi, this is my first post to TE, I've been reading for a while and I'm finding out so much stuff....

So... I'm on my 2nd road bike in just over 12 months, first up I didn't know anything and just bought a bike that fit my price range. 2nd bike, I bought the same brand but upgraded in quality of components/frame etc (a mens bike - Giant TCR Comp Zero size XS). I'm now wondering whether I should have followed my gut instincts and gone for a WSD after all... I've settled well with the 2nd bike and I'm generally happy, but I'm just not satisfied with the fit.

Anyway... at the time there were no WSD bikes for me to try anywhere, I live 280km from our capital city, in the S/W of Australia, that means there's like 2 towns (ie total maybe 4 bike shops) between where I live and the city. In the city there's quite a few bike shops but they really only cater for men. In fact there were no XS bikes for me to try anywhere in the city and I had to order my bike untried.

It sounds like some of you ladies have the luxury of dropping into local bike shops and trying out bikes in different sizes and fitouts, if this is so I'm absolutely envious, I could spend all day doing that.

Getting to the point...(sorry for going on...) Like Kaybee, local bike shops (and city bike shops) just don't carry WSD bikes. I'm determined to do my homework for my next bike. It looks like I'll have to try to research my choices, make my decision and then find where to buy it. To start this off, can anyone tell me which bikes they know of that are WSD. I've come across the Trek Madone 5.9 WSD (I'd like a carbon frame and preferably DuraAce or equiv.). Others I've found are a Bianchi, the Specialized Ruby and Orbea (but I think they're all alloy with carbon forks).

Thanks for your help.

Triskeliongirl
05-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Mags, you say you are unhappy with the fit of your bike, but there can be a lot done to modify the 'fit' without getting a new bike. For starters, adjustments can be made to saddle height, fore/aft postion, handlebar height, stem length, crank length, bar width, to name a few. Perhaps you should seek out an expert to see if the bike you bought can't be adapted to fit you better.

Trekhawk
05-25-2006, 08:25 AM
hi, this is my first post to TE, I've been reading for a while and I'm finding out so much stuff....

So... I'm on my 2nd road bike in just over 12 months, first up I didn't know anything and just bought a bike that fit my price range. 2nd bike, I bought the same brand but upgraded in quality of components/frame etc (a mens bike - Giant TCR Comp Zero size XS). I'm now wondering whether I should have followed my gut instincts and gone for a WSD after all... I've settled well with the 2nd bike and I'm generally happy, but I'm just not satisfied with the fit.

Anyway... at the time there were no WSD bikes for me to try anywhere, I live 280km from our capital city, in the S/W of Australia, that means there's like 2 towns (ie total maybe 4 bike shops) between where I live and the city. In the city there's quite a few bike shops but they really only cater for men. In fact there were no XS bikes for me to try anywhere in the city and I had to order my bike untried.

It sounds like some of you ladies have the luxury of dropping into local bike shops and trying out bikes in different sizes and fitouts, if this is so I'm absolutely envious, I could spend all day doing that.

Getting to the point...(sorry for going on...) Like Kaybee, local bike shops (and city bike shops) just don't carry WSD bikes. I'm determined to do my homework for my next bike. It looks like I'll have to try to research my choices, make my decision and then find where to buy it. To start this off, can anyone tell me which bikes they know of that are WSD. I've come across the Trek Madone 5.9 WSD (I'd like a carbon frame and preferably DuraAce or equiv.). Others I've found are a Bianchi, the Specialized Ruby and Orbea (but I think they're all alloy with carbon forks).

Thanks for your help.

Hi Mags and welcome to TE

Where abouts in WA are you? Im originally from Safety Bay and spent many summer holidays down South its very beautiful.
The riding must be fabulous.:)

Mags...
05-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Triskeliongirl, I've done a few modifications, I've changed the stem (went from 90mm to 80mm) I've got a Selle Italia gel lady saddle and it's OK for shorter rides but anything over 50 miles and it gets painful - I've been reading the saddle threads so have some ideas for a saddle, only problem is we don't have any 'try before you buy' options here and I'm loathe to start a saddle collection. It's helped me to adjust the saddle position, ie. moved forward and adjusted the saddle height. I've rotated the handlebars slightly because I was getting numbness in the fingers, but this is still happening though I'm more comfortable with the angle of the bars. I'm wondering whether I need to get narrower handlebars? The distance between my shifters and the handlebars is possibly too great. How can you tell if it's the frame itself that's the problem? And what would be the reasons to think the crank length is wrong?

I figure that it would be really helpful to actually ride a few different bikes to see if I really do have any problems or not... this isn't an option as bike shops just don't stock small bikes here as there are not many men who ride my size and even fewer women who are spending dollars to make it worth their while keeping them in stock. Even asking them to get a bike in to try, they ask for a deposit as they think 'if I get it in and she doesn't buy it then what'll I do with it?'.

I've met an expert from Perth who had a quick look at me on the bike and suggested I swap the stem and that was it. I guess I could ask him to do a proper measure and fit with recommendations.

And hi Trekhawk, I live in Busselton, in the south west. Fresh air blowing off the Southern & Indian Oceans, sunshine most of the year. The cycling is great here, but there are no hills - it's a 20km (12 miles) ride to the nearest one. The wind can be a good training partner though.

Mags...

Trekhawk
05-26-2006, 07:11 AM
And hi Trekhawk, I live in Busselton, in the south west. Fresh air blowing off the Southern & Indian Oceans, sunshine most of the year. The cycling is great here, but there are no hills - it's a 20km (12 miles) ride to the nearest one. The wind can be a good training partner though.

Mags...

Busselton is a lovely spot. My Mum and Dad still go down there for a week or so each year to relax. Great postion not too far from Perth and not too far from Margaret River and Yallingup. LOL about the wind I always said they should have called my Mum and Dads home Windy Bay instead of Safety Bay.

Good luck with the bike fit - I hope you get it sorted soon.

Tail Winds.
:)

nmeadows
10-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I am reading alot about the women's bikes here, and am interested in learning more--what stores might offer this in the atlanta area?

netoll
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Free Flite Bike Shop in Marietta carries WSB by Trek http://freeflite.com. I bought my first road bike there in September while a friend bought her bike in Roswell. The salesperson spent an hour with me fitting, trying out bikes, giving me advice knowing I was not going to make a decision until I spent some time researching bikes. I came back a week later and bought the bike from the shop. Everyone was extremely helpful plus they offer other support services. Great experience for someone who has not ridden a bike in 20 years. Unfortunately, my friend did not have the same experience and ended up with a bike she is not happy with. The only support she received is from me passing on what I learned from the Free Flite salesperson.:cool: