PDA

View Full Version : Lise's Tower Triathlon report--loooong!

Lise
05-21-2006, 06:14 PM
This was my first tri of the season, and I was so excited! Times aren't posted yet, but I thought I'd go ahead and write a report.

I was better prepared for the race than I was this time last year. Never as well trained as I want to be, but work with what you've got. I slept as I usually do before a race, or on Christmas Eve, for that matter, lousy! Woke up every hour or so to check the clock. Finally got up at 5:30.

The tri is at the Leaning Tower YMCA in Niles, Illinois. Its distinguishing characteristic is the to-scale model of the leaning tower of Pisa out front. There's also a phone booth built like a leaning tower. On the front lawn of the Y. In case you need to make a call. :p

The day was bright and sunny, temp about 52 F. I got to the Y at 6:50 and set up my transition area--I love that part! I have a new red towel with sharks on it to lay my stuff on. Then I headed into the pool and talked with women waiting for our heat. This tri is fun--small and friendly. Lots of older people, heavier people, people doing triathlon for the first time. An advantage of being a slow swimmer is that they put me in one of the last waves. I ate a couple of Cliff Shot Bloks, drank a few mouthfuls of water, counted laps for the heat before me, and then I was off.

The YMCA has two pools, a shorter, warmer one for classes and fun stuff, and a longer, cooler one for laps. The women were in the cooler pool, and we did 8 laps--1/4 mile. Last year I swam as hard as I could, used any stroke I could, and felt like I was going to puke. This year I freestyled all the way and took breaths at the end of each lane, and I felt strong. I was still the last out of the pool in my heat, but, hey, I finished and felt pretty good. I fumbled with my flip flops--I don't know if that was worth it. Certainly felt better on my feet as I ran to T-1.

The run to transition was funny--out the side of the pool building, around the fence, around the back of the building, onto the grass and into transition. One little girl volunteer was yelling, "Go around the corner! Your bike is waiting for you!" I pictured a horse, chomping at the bit to get going, just waiting for me. :)

This year I stuck with my plan and pulled on my warm clothes for the ride. I was so glad! There was a wind out of the north and east, and I would've been miserable with less clothing. The Y is in front of an industrial park, so the bike ride was 11 miles--5 loops on closed off streets. Riding into the wind, I struggled to stay at 13-14 mph. Once I made the turn to go south and west, I could easily do 19-20 mph, and got up to 24 mph when I burned it. I finally figured out not to worry too much about the slow part, just make it up when I had the wind with me. The ride was good--once again, I love my new bike! So sleek and powerful. When I was riding into the wind, I talked out loud. I talked to my dad, who died in 1965, and asked for his help (I figure there's no USAT injunction against help from the deceased. ;) ) I talked out loud to my ex, saying that no one would ever lay a hand on me in anger again, and if you want to test me, come on, bring it...I talked to myself, "push through this, good, good, now you fly. Now you fly. Go! Go! Go!"

As I pulled into T-2, I heard my mom yelling my name. She hadn't been sure if she could come, so it was a really nice treat. I changed into running gear, and headed out to do the 5K. Mom had organized everybody around her by this time, so they were all yelling my name as I went out to run. As soon as I was out of their sight, I walked a bit--still hadn't caught my breath from pushing it on the bike. The first half of the run was into the wind. I had planned to run the whole thing, but couldn't do it. I ran when I could, walked when I had to. When I got to the turnaround, the wind was behind me, so I ran all the way back. Sprinted down the finish chute and had to sit on the grass, gasping for air, as a 7 year old volunteer tried to give me my finisher's medal! Mom was still cheering, then got a bit worried, asked if I was OK. I gasped out, "trying-to-control-heart-rate"! Got it under control, stood up, hugged mom, ate a banana. Lots of smiles. :D :) :D :) :D

When I was sprinting, I heard Mom and all the folks around her yelling, "Go Lise! Go #101!", but I also heard "Go H****r!" (my last name). I figured one of my volleyball pals had come to cheer, too. I looked around after getting a grip on my breathing, but saw no one else I knew. I asked Mom, "Who was yelling, 'Go H*****r'?" "Nobody", she replied. "Ohhh..." I said, "I know who it was." "Who?" "My dad." "ummm....maybe..." said my mom, who does not have much of an imagination for that sort of thing. But I know who it was. :D

I changed into dry clothes after mom went home. I hung out and cheered for the last people to cross the finish line, then hung out and stretched on the grass and clapped for the medal winners. Imagine my shock when they got to "Women, age 45-49, in 3rd place we have...Lise H****r." Me: "NO WAY!" :eek: I hopped up and ran over and got my medal!!! It's a really cool, heavy medal, with a swimmer, biker, and runner on the front, and the award category engraved on the back. Wow! I never won an award for any race, ever! Boy, am I glad I stuck around for the medal ceremony! :o :p

Came home, ate french toast, slept for 90 minutes, got up, showered, went to meet my family for a belated Mother's Day at the zoo and to dinner. My 6 year old nephew and 3 year old niece were really impressed with my medals. In fact, I just washed them, because Maya wore them all through dinnner, and, well, she's three....:p There was ice cream involved.

All in all, happy, sore, and more freckly than ever, cuz I forgot to put on sunscreen in T-1! Mom took pix on an old-fashioned camera, so I'll scan and post them when I get copies. I'll post my times when I know them, too. Thanks for hanging in for the long version of the story. All through the race, I'd think, "Oh, I have to include this detail in my TE report!" You guys are the best. Coming to this board since last fall has made this season so much more fun already. :D :D :D L.

tprevost
05-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Love the report Lise! I am so proud for you - wow, 3rd in your division, that is SOOOOO cool! How are you feeling now? Refreshed, tired, beat, energized????? When is your next race?

Trac'

ps. I am also sure that was your dad - it brought tears to my eyes... great job Lise :D

Grog
05-21-2006, 07:21 PM
That is a great ride report, and it sounds like you had a great time in that tri! It motivates me to register right now for the next triathlon I want to do!

Thanks Lise and congratulations for the extremely good placing! I hope you had some of that ice cream too, you certainly deserve it! (especially if it has cookie dough in it)

Brandy
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Awesome report Lise. I felt like I was right there with you! Congratulations on third place...that rocks! http://purplepixelations.com/march42006/dancingfruits.gif

DeniseGoldberg
05-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Lise -
A great report, and a great result! Congrats (and I think that was your dad too).

--- Denise

luv'nAustin
05-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey Lise, Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to post a great report, I really enjoyed reading about your race. :D

mtbdarby
05-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Awesome job Lise! I believe it was your Dad too - they never really leave you, you know.

You have now motivated me to go register for my first race - 6 hour solo - even though I don't think I've trained enough or am ready. What the heck right? It's in Kewascum - want to come up and cheer me on Saturday??

You rock - congrats on the medal:D

Lise
05-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Awesome job Lise! I believe it was your Dad too - they never really leave you, you know.

You have now motivated me to go register for my first race - 6 hour solo - even though I don't think I've trained enough or am ready. What the heck right? It's in Kewascum - want to come up and cheer me on Saturday??

You rock - congrats on the medal:D
Oh, man, I wish I could! I'm going to be in Utah next weekend for a professional conference. I think you should definitely do it. Is it a 6 hour bike race? Hats off to you. That's a long time to be pushing it on the bike. I look forward to hearing about it. :D L.

Lise
05-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Funny detail I forgot to include:

The timing mat for the swim at this tri is not when you get out of the water, but when you exit the building. I didn't know that last year, and people had to yell at me to run over the mat to get my time. So I returned the favor this year. There was one girl who was really dilly-dallying, and I was yelling, "Go! Go! Run! You have to cross the mat!" She finally turned and looked at me and said...."I haven't done the swim yet." Me: :o "Uh, sorry. Better not cross the mat then, eh?" :o She smiled, though, and said, "Thanks for trying to help!" She was in the wave before me, and asked me to count laps for her, because I was such a good cheerleader! :p

Thanks for all the love--you TE gals are the best. I am happily planning the rest of the season. :D L.

Running Mommy
05-22-2006, 07:19 AM
YEAYYYY!!!! I bet it was those dvd's that inspired you huh?? I KNEW you would love the documentry 140.6 I've watched it a bazillion times!!
Inspiring for sure!
And to place in your AG?/!! Holy moly! That is SWEET!!!
Very good race! No... GREAT race!!!
den-

maillotpois
05-22-2006, 07:25 AM
What a great report!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks out loud to get inspiration! How cool that your dad was "there" for you.

jobob
05-22-2006, 07:48 AM
I really enjoyed your story, thanks! :cool:

KSH
05-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Awesome race report!

It's nice to hear that you came out of the water feeling good. That is what matters on the swim portion... come out of the water not feeling fatigued.

The bike sounds like it was a challenge! Way to talk your way through it. Headwind can really defeat a person.

The run sounds like it was hard too. I also have a bad habit of pushing too hard on the bike, only to pay for it with side cramps on the run. I am all about running when people can SEE me though! HA!

Finally... WOW on placing 3rd in your age group! Too cool! I bet those medals are great... and your neice has a great story to brag to her friends about.

Brina
05-22-2006, 11:52 AM
great report Lise, sounds like an awesome day!!!!!

kaybee
05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

KB

Blueberry
05-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Congrats Lise!!!

Wow! Incredible first race of the season! Please share what you have planned for the rest of the season:D :D

Trekhawk
05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Congratulations on a great race. Fantastic news about the medal. Best you be putting that somewhere you can show it off.:)

Lise
05-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Congratulations on a great race. Fantastic news about the medal. Best you be putting that somewhere you can show it off.:)
Ha! I brought it to work, put it in my lab coat pocket, and showed it off to all and sundry! (and will continue to do so at the various clinics and hospital shifts...I'd hate for anyone to miss the opportunity to revel in my accomplishment :rolleyes: )
Next up is a sprint in July, in Schaumberg, then the Lake Zurich Oly distance. I'm also going to do another Oly later in the season, just haven't decided which. I'd like to find a venue not too far away that also has a 1/2IM distance so I can check out the course. My goal is to do a 1/2 IM by the end of next year. I also plan to do one or two 1/2 marathons this season. I want to be OK with running 13 miles.

In terms of training--more running, more bricks of bike/run. Get aerobars on the bike. Get a new saddle. After 11 miles yesterday, my "forward parts", the soft tissue under my symphysis pubic (pubic bone) was numb. I can't get into the LBS for another two weeks probably, but when I can, I'll be trying out a new saddle!

It is so cool to really be a triathlete. Who knew?! Me! :D L.

Lise
05-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Another funny note--

I just went to the Y's website to see if the results were posted yet; they're not. But I noticed that the pictures they have of people swimming/biking/running on the website are in no way representative of the actual race! They seem to be biking on a lovely mountain road, swimming in a big outdoor pool, and running alongside a shining body of water. In reality, we swam in the Y's lap pool (fine), and biked and ran in the industrial park out back of the Y. Also fine, but hardly...scenic! :rolleyes: :p

laughlaugh18
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Congratulations!! It's great to read about your success, and all the little funny bits!

Aggie_Ama
05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Congrats Lise! I love the story about your niece wearing the medal, how cute. :)

Geonz
05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Yippee! hearing voices and everything!!!

IT's a real medal :-) For YOU! Not some other, you know, athlete...

colby
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Super awesome! Congrats, Lise! I guess this sets the bar pretty high for your next tri ;)

(Also, I *love* the dancing fruit that were posted earlier... perfect)

Quillfred
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Most excellent Lise. You obviously rrraaaawwwwkkkk!!!!!!!

Cheers :D

Quill

Lise
05-23-2006, 04:21 AM
I guess this sets the bar pretty high for your next tri ;)
(Also, I *love* the dancing fruit that were posted earlier... perfect)
No kidding, eh? Start strong, where do you go from there?!? :p

I love the dancing fruit, too. Brandy has the best emoticons. L.

DirtDiva
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Well done Lise! :D

I like the fruit too - made me think of the Munch Bunch (although that could be an obscure NZ reference if those books weren't published elsewhere too).

RoadRaven
05-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Well Lise... somewhat belatedly...

CONGRATULATIONS

Just read your report... way to go, gf - you rock

*doing a dachshund happy dance*
:p

VenusdeVelo
05-27-2006, 01:57 AM
:p Great job!! Post pictures if you've got them!! Congrats on your fantastic entry in to the season!

(My mom and a few others very close to me have passed away, and I always talk to them, ask them for help and such, keep me safe. Heck, I'm still alive, it must work !)

Lise
05-27-2006, 03:36 AM
Hey, RR and VdV! Thanks for the congrats! I posted pix in another thread on this same board. Go! Look! :D L.