PDA

View Full Version : Do not eat....

maillotpois
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Do not eat the Banana crunch bar from Starbucks.

I just had one of these. I know - WHAT was I thinking? The whole freaking thing was disgusting and I feel SICK, but I ate it because I was on a conference call and it was there.

But it got me thinking - we talk a lot about foods we like (the chocolate thread, the chocolate milk thread, etc.). Anyone want to throw out some suggested STAY AWAY FROM foods?

Blueberry
05-19-2006, 10:35 AM
the bannana latte frapp either. They had samples when I went in yesterday. Yep - I drank the whole thing. Yep - I felt sick. Yep - it wasn't good AT ALL (appologies to anyone who loves them...).

Now the green tea blackberry frapp - Yum! Requires many, many miles of biking to burn off those calories, though.

maillotpois
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
I saw that! What's the deal with the banana at Starbucks?? So weird. Banana and coffee just isn't a good combo.

bcipam
05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I figure I'm probably in a minority but anything Clif Bar... I just can't myself to eat one of those cardboard bricks!!!

And otherthing I'm probably in the miniority - I couldn't locate those jelly beans everyone is talking about but I did find the Clif Bloks... again, I should stay away from anything Clif... I had trouble gagging one of those Bloks down!

Blueberry
05-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I saw that! What's the deal with the banana at Starbucks?? So weird. Banana and coffee just isn't a good combo.

Agreed - I'm not sure whether the *burned* coconut flakes on top were worse or the stuff floating in it that kinda looked like slimy bannana:eek: :eek: :eek:

And I drank it:eek: :eek: :eek:

DeniseGoldberg
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I figure I'm probably in a minority but anything Clif Bar... I just can't myself to eat one of those cardboard bricks!!!

I have the same reaction to Clif Bars, but I really like Clif's Luna Bars. And their nectar bars taste good too. I guess I'm in the minority too on the (basic) Clif Bar front.
--- Denise

Brandy
05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
the bannana latte frapp either. They had samples when I went in yesterday. Yep - I drank the whole thing. Yep - I felt sick. Yep - it wasn't good AT ALL (appologies to anyone who loves them...).

I second that motion. They had the samples out on Sunday and I took one sip and then pawned it off on my three year old. He'll eat pretty much anything. :p

BikeMomma
05-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Is his name Mikey??? :p :p

Brandy
05-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Is his name Mikey??? :p :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/BrandyMama/laughcover.gif Nope...it's Marcellus. In addition to eating things that I find disgusting, this kid swipes my sashimi and California rolls and eats all of my salads when I turn my back. http://www.tinklebelle.com/Smilies/images/no.gif Aren't kids supposed to live on pop tarts? http://www.tinklebelle.com/Smilies/images/bucky.gif

BikeMomma
05-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Aren't kids supposed to live on pop tarts?
Mine seem to do well on corn dogs and mac & cheese. Oh, and they DO like Life cereal, just like Mikey. :p

mtbdarby
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Mine strickly prefers pb&j - everything else is "yucky" right now. Grrrr, he turned 4 on Monday.....

Lise
05-19-2006, 01:57 PM
There's this "protein" bar, can't remember the name right now (because it was so traumatic that I blocked it) that made me just about puke. I mean. I don't even want to know what you have to put in a bar to get 56 gm of protein in there, but I'm thinking Soylent Green or something...and then, to have the gall, the gall! to call it "cookie dough" flavor. BARF! :eek:

bike4ever
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
I really can't do lima beans. The kicker is they are my husband's favorite veggie. The only time he gets them is when he visits his parents.:p

salsabike
05-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Luna bars are great. Some Balance bars are good, although they discontinued my favorite lemon meringue flavor recently.

Clif and Power bars taste like asphalt. Clif like new asphalt, Power bars like OLD asphalt that's baked in the sun for lo these many years.

Worst in the world for me, by far: creamed spinach. Ecchh! Wrong texture for me.

Lise
05-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I know this is strange, but lima beans and creamed spinach are two of my favorite vegetables. Really. Spinach anything, to tell you the truth. I went through a phase where I ate spinach every day in some form or another. When I was eating out, I'd ask them to add spinach to anything. I must've been short some nutrient.

DirtDiva
05-20-2006, 12:54 AM
It's all about texture...
Can't stand pears and fijoas because of the grittiness, and I don't like eating/drinking anything pear or fijoa flavoured (like juice, for example) because it reminds me of the texture.Sloppy stuff has to have lots of flavour. Custard grosses me out. Some flavours of yoghurt are great and some are heinous. Am seriously afraid of energy gel products and have thus far refused to try them.Chewy is generally good, as is crunchy.
I'm not into fruit flavourings, especially fake cherry, fake banana, fake peach and fake coconut. Lollies that just taste of green or purple or red or whatever are fine. Can't stand bubblegum flavour.

I'll eat anything if I have to though, and I'll certainly try anything once ('cept maybe those gels).

Selkie
05-20-2006, 01:03 AM
I can't drink Starbuck's coffee. Too strong and bitter. I'm a Dunkin' Donuts coffee kind of girl.

By the way, Lara bars has a new flavor---MAYA (chocolate coffee). It's really, really good.

alpinerabbit
05-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Power gel. Eek. I saw a guy at the Giro down a power gel and he retched too.

Imagine having to eat these all along a professional cycling career...

Lise
05-20-2006, 02:48 AM
It's true. Gels are disgusting. But....easy to carry, and easy to digest. I ate five of them along the marathon course, and I wish I'd eaten twice as many. I could've used the calories. It's kind of like some other things in life--I just make up my mind that I'm going to do it, open the packet, squeeze it into my mouth, and swallow. Water immediately after. Some flavors are more gag-a-trocious than others. I can handle chocolate and strawberry/kiwi the best. I don't think that has anything to do with NZ. ;)

tlkiwi--I love custard. Love it, love it, love it. And I think gels are disgusting. I strongly recommend you don't try them!

There are certain artificial fruit flavors that I really can't abide. Cherry, because it reminds me of medicine in childhood. Grape, because it's just gross. I do love "blue raspberry", but I think that's just a childish delight in blue food. :p L.

DeniseGoldberg
05-20-2006, 04:22 AM
I know this is strange, but lima beans and creamed spinach are two of my favorite vegetables. Really.
I like lima beans and (non-creamed) spinach too! But somewhere along the line I got hooked on edamame (soy) - I usually choose those first over the limas because of the protein in the soy beans. The taste reminds me of lima beans too.

--- Denise

cindysue
05-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Now the green tea blackberry frapp - Yum! Requires many, many miles of biking to burn off those calories, though.

i know this is a do NOT thread, but I have to second the green tea frap in the middle of a long bike ride - yum!

cindysue
05-20-2006, 06:52 AM
It's true. Gels are disgusting. But....easy to carry, and easy to digest. I ate five of them along the marathon course, and I wish I'd eaten twice as many. I could've used the calories.

you all should try the new Clif Blocs. If you were here, I'd give you a sample. I love them. They taste like gummy bears, have all the calories and carbs you'd get from a gel but aren't as messy!

snapdragen
05-20-2006, 07:07 AM
No creamed spinach for me, any other form of spinach I love. Pears? Yecch! I'm with you on that one tlkiwi! I'm not overly fond of Starbucks either - agree on the burned taste. I'm a Peets girl - love the coffee; and they have a Jasmine Green Iced Tea that is awesome.

Grape flavor anything - juice, candy, popcicles - turn my tummy. I was given a grape popcicle when I had my tonsils out - haven't been able to stomach the flavor since. Thankfully it doesn't affect my taste for wine...:rolleyes:

Bike Goddess
05-20-2006, 11:38 AM
For those of you who don't like Starbucks coffee- ask for a Misto. It's a caffe au lait. I get it with extra milk and extra foam. Then I can stand their coffee. Otherwise, I agree, it's too bitter!

winddance
05-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I actually like spinach, but fresh. It took me years to realize I actually liked it. I tend to go through a cycle of re-trying all of the foods that I've previously hated, but one thing I absolutely cannot get over is orange juice.

My mother fed me orange juice on the morning before I got a 5-day long stomach virus. For years, I couldn't even abide the smell. Not it actually smells a bit good to me, but I'm afraid to try it again. To be honest, the idea of the texture kind of squicks me out.

Breakfast would be so much easier if I weren't terrified of orange juice! :rolleyes:

RoadRaven
05-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Gels are disgusting. But....easy to carry, and easy to digest.

Well, unlike you and AlpineRabbit, I like them :rolleyes: - as long as you can swig some water afterwards (as the packet instructs anyways). I like banana "GU"... almost no taste except sweet - I couldn't tell you it was banana flavoured. :cool:

Kiwi - I'm not a fan of custard, but GU is no prob. With our support and counselling you may even get over your gelphobia.

Some flavors are more gag-a-trocious than others. I can handle chocolate and strawberry/kiwi the best. I don't think that has anything to do with NZ. ;)

In the US, Kiwi is kiwifruit?(Or Zespri, as our marketers here have decided to rename it - before they were kiwifruit they called them "Chinese gooseberries" )

LOL - I said kia ora to a friend in England and he said "orange juice?" and i said "what?" and he said, "do you want orange juice?" and I said "what????!"
Kiwi, you must have seen it - apparently "kia ora" is a brand of orange juice over there!

My mother fed me orange juice on the morning before I got a 5-day long stomach virus. For years, I couldn't even abide the smell. Not it actually smells a bit good to me, but I'm afraid to try it again. To be honest, the idea of the texture kind of squicks me out.

Breakfast would be so much easier if I weren't terrified of orange juice!

Hey there, WindDance, my partner is the same - but I fed him some nice hot salty chips (fries in America) and it was 15 years :eek: before he could face them again!

yellow
05-20-2006, 02:34 PM
There's this "protein" bar, can't remember the name right now (because it was so traumatic that I blocked it) that made me just about puke. I mean. I don't even want to know what you have to put in a bar to get 56 gm of protein in there, but I'm thinking Soylent Green or something...and then, to have the gall, the gall! to call it "cookie dough" flavor. BARF! :eek:
Sounds like a PROMAX BAR I once attempted to eat while at very high elevation (about 13,000 feet). Uh, yeah, BARF!

Since SK introduced me to Mojo Bars, no need to look elsewhere.

Lise
05-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I like lima beans and (non-creamed) spinach too! But somewhere along the line I got hooked on edamame (soy) - I usually choose those first over the limas because of the protein in the soy beans. The taste reminds me of lima beans too.--- Denise
Maybe that's why I like edamame so much!

cindysue--I got a sample of Cliff Blocs at an Expo, and I'm going to try them at the tri tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think!

margo49
05-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Raw whole carrot gives me hiccups.
Our factory's very intelligent, very sexy, x-th dan black belt in something exotic Food Technologist gave me a technical explanation for this; but I have forgotten what he said. (Probably something hormonal)

Grated is ok tho'

Dogmama
05-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Cantaloupes - makes the roof of my mouth itch - unless organic.

Ripe bananas - ugh.

Nanci
05-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I used to hate lima beans, but love them now. HATE ripe bananas. Once they lose that greenish cast- forget it. Love the grittiness of pears. HATE cillantro. Like gels. Can get Clif Bars down, but would rather eat something else. Like Luna Bars, Love Mojo Bars. Love cantelope. Pulpy orange juice grosses me out. Like spinach with lemon juice on it, even as a kid. Don't know what a fijoa is. I would probably like it, though. Don't like organ meat- liver, kidney, entrails, (but do like turkey giblets in gravy) or tongue, or feet, or necks of anything. But I will eat raw beef and fish. Usually prefer salt to sweet. Mixed is good, though. HATE wasabi peas. Thought I would like them. Don't like Cabernet Sauvignon. And I gave it a fair chance. Maybe I just couldn't afford the good stuff. Didn't used to like Chardonnay, but now I do!

SadieKate
05-21-2006, 11:38 AM
V8 - ick at the best if times. On a ride? :eek:

winddance
05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
HATE cillantro.

Ooh, me too! It's so overpowering.

Beth-Ro
05-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm just gonna say it out loud for the world to hear...

Coffee. Bleh!

Coffee invokes my gag reflex in a way no other food or drink substance even comes close to. And no frappa-lappa-whatchamacallit can cover up the nasty flavor of coffee! It just can't be doctored up enough to make my mouth happy about it. Of course, that whole Starbucks $5 bucks a cup has just completely passed me by, so I've saved some money there.

OK, I said it...throw tomatoes if you like. Actually, I like tomatoes, so throw away...

-beth-ro

maillotpois
05-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Sorry, you're just wrong!

That's the fun thing about this thread. Someone likes the stuff that makes you gag. I bet someone even likes the banana crunch bar that made me start the thread...

snapdragen
05-21-2006, 05:10 PM

Oh, I dunno, over ice, add a little vodka, a celery stalk..........

JoyfullySo
05-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Okay, ladies.... Here it is...
Okra... I will not ever eat okra, I don't care how you make it.
Boiled, fried, in gumbo... it is just to nasty for words.

Also, chitterlings... I grew up in Augusta, GA and across the river they would have this festival called the Chitlin' Strut.. ate pig intestines all d@#* day long. That is just wrong..

Catfish is also one of those do not eat foods... iiiccckkkk

Can you tell I live in the South???

Beth-Ro
05-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Mmmmmm.....okra! I'll trade you all your okra for all my coffee!

:p

SadieKate
05-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Okra, fried or pickled. Oh yeah.

Eggplant - blech.

SadieKate
05-21-2006, 06:09 PM
The talk of okra rang a bell.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=3165&highlight=okra

SadieKate
05-21-2006, 06:12 PM
By the way, I had brussel sprouts for dinner two nights in a row now. Yummmm.

Lise
05-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Raw whole carrot gives me hiccups.
Our factory's very intelligent, very sexy, x-th dan black belt in something exotic Food Technologist gave me a technical explanation for this; but I have forgotten what he said. (Probably something hormonal)

Grated is ok tho'
That's wild. Me, too. I had no idea there was a reason for it. I just have to eat them slowly and mindfully. If I chomp 'em down, hello hiccups.

Now let's see: LOVE cilantro. LOVE strong, dark, black coffee. Pulpy OJ, the best. Banana, there's about a 5 minute window when they're right for me. Love those Mojo bars. Love Lara bars. Hate the rest of the "bar" world. Liked the Cliff Shot Bloks, Cran-Razz flavor.

Despise olives. Barf. Loathe beets. Raw tomatoes--thin slice, good. Chopped, good. Big slice or whole tomato--puke. Can't explain that one. Texture.

And that's your nightly report on "Foods Lise Does and Does Not Like". :p

sarahkonamojo
05-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Hard to think of foods that make me gag. Tequila and whiskey will. (Although, a margarita goes down too well.) And those green olives with pimentos. Ugh.

There are lots of foods I thought I did not like, i.e. green pepper raw, but have learned to appreciate them. And while some foods I don't go out of my way to eat (okra), I can handle the foods in limited quantity/occasions.

What is it about that short banana window?

Oh and foods I like... too many that's the problem. Cran-Razz bloks are my new ride food pick me up.

SKM

KnottedYet
05-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Love Clif Snot Razz and Clif Blocks Cran-Razz. My tummy handles both of them sooooo well. Lara bars and Clif Nectar bars; very happy. Clif recovery drink, much happiness. Clif electrolytes.... not so much. And I have two huge cans of the powder!

I think it tastes like sweat. Warm sweat. When I tried it at Seattle Bike Expo it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've tried mixing it at different concentrations, no go. It doens't mess with my tummy, but it tastes icky when I make it. I think I'll try adding some lemon juice tomorrow and/or maybe a bit of honey or sugar.

The whole Clif line is peachy-keen with my occaisionally fussy gluten-enteropathic digestive system, so I'm eager to find a way to bump-up the taste of the electrolyte.

BikeMomma
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
frappa-lappa-whatchamacallit
Ha! Too funny, Beth. I'll call them frappa-lappa's for short.

Well, my mom's English and so I grew up drinking tea a billion times a day, so coffee was the natural next step. Now I'm a fiend for the stuff. :p

~BikeMomma

Dogmama
05-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Ever notice how the banana window gets shorter in the summer?

I like the power bar gel - banana strawberry. I'm getting pretty good at slime-ing one down whilst on the bike. Problem is - I won't litter and the outside gets sticky - yuck. So, my jersey pocket gets a little gooey and my cell phone is a little sticky, but it all washes out. Obviously, I don't care enough about the sticky stuff to actually stop & gag one down.

Cilantro is good stuff! Salsa isn't salsa without it! If it gets minced, it releases nasty oils & becomes quite strong.

Ditto on pears - gritty food - ugh. And catfish...you know what THEY eat...EEWWWW!!

How about tuna? Anybody have a good way of making it not taste like...tuna? It's such a great protein source.

Grog
05-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Cilantro is good stuff! (...) How about tuna? Anybody have a good way of making it not taste like...tuna? It's such a great protein source.

Add cilantro to the tuna, and maybe some lemon?

KnottedYet
05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
mmmmmm, that sounds good.

I ate an entire can of turkey Spam on Friday. Didn't taste like tuna at all. Didn't taste like turkey, either....

Gotta love salted fat!:D

kiwi in oz
05-22-2006, 02:33 AM
tlkiwi - I keep re-reading your post - it gives me the giggles. For the most part I wholeheartedly agree - especially creepy, sloppy stuff, but nothing, nothing will ever turn me off 42 Below Feijoa vodka. Mmmmmmmmm.

My most despised food has to be jelly. Uck! And when you think of what gelatine is from... Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Off to make myself a feijoa vodka now....

Beth-Ro
05-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Well, my mom's English and so I grew up drinking tea a billion times a day, so coffee was the natural next step. Now I'm a fiend for the stuff. :p

~BikeMomma[/QUOTE]

Tea...love tea. Drink hot tea every morning and iced tea the rest of the day. (I am southern, after all. It's in the credo.) My mouth just never made the conversion to coffee. I think I would have better luck with chitlins! :p

Tater
05-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I'm just gonna say it out loud for the world to hear...

Coffee. Bleh!

Coffee invokes my gag reflex in a way no other food or drink substance even comes close to. And no frappa-lappa-whatchamacallit can cover up the nasty flavor of coffee! It just can't be doctored up enough to make my mouth happy about it. Of course, that whole Starbucks $5 bucks a cup has just completely passed me by, so I've saved some money there.

-beth-ro

YES!!! I am not alone! I despise the taste of coffee. There is nothing, no flavored creamer, or whatnot that will get rid of that nasty aftertaste!

I also can't do scrambled eggs (texture thing), lima beans (just yucky), Brussles sprouts (barf!), organ meats (eww!) or hominy (gag!).

Oh, have any of you ladies tried freezing your bananas? If said 'nanas are getting ripe, peel, slice into chunks, toss into a container and freeze. I do this once the freckles start to appear and they keep for quite awhile. Easy to toss into a smoothie mix.

DirtDiva
05-22-2006, 12:12 PM
...but nothing, nothing will ever turn me off 42 Below Feijoa vodka. Mmmmmmmmm.
I guess I would accept that if there were nothing else to drink in the house, but why would I have bought it in the first place when there are all those other, non-feijoa varieties of 42 Below goodness I would much prefer. :D

P.S. For those who don't know what a feijoa is... http://www.feijoa.org.nz/ Now, excuse me while I run around finding and correcting the spelling of 'feijoa' in my previous post. :p

P.P.S. Woe is me! :eek: It's too late! The window of editing feasibility has slammed shut!

margo49
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Let's not get on to the topic of drinking and booze , fellow Kiwis
in Aotearoa/Enzed or overseas...
remember what happened last time when we got a pointed post from the moderator
We must be sensitive to other anthropologies of alcohol...at least when we are sober

Geonz
05-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I LOVE spinach... never had it growing up.

Clif Bars give me gas. Not horrible (like the wrong combo of cooked onions and garlic adn roasted veggies that are delicious BUTT...) but... they're not worth it.

On tonight's ride over a flat (before the bad fall) we were discussing the versatility of GU (the wrapper was used for a boot when I had an old tire fail and we speculated on its usefulness as "slime")... with the words of wisdom that "Gu should not be used for butt balm."

crazybikinchic
05-22-2006, 07:45 PM
the only good thing about coffee is the smell of the beans before it's brewed. Again, the whole Starbuck's thing past me by.

Orange juice. I use to love orange juice. Pregnancy and the whole diabetes testing during it (you know the "orange" flavored stuff you drink) ruined that. I tried about a year ago to drink some oj and couldn't do it.

dachshund
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
By the way, I had brussel sprouts for dinner two nights in a row now. Yummmm.

Sorry, but brussel sprouts are just wrong!

Grog
05-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Sorry, but brussel sprouts are just wrong!

I used to be against them (and quite radically so!) and now I enjoy them!!

Sprinkled with just a pinch of sugar (or a tiny spoon of maple sugar) it takes of the bitterness and makes them fabulous...

snapdragen
05-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I had a friend that actually got upset when I discovered I liked a particular dish at Cheescake Factory. "But it has eggplant in it!!" If you didn't know what it was, you think it was grilled mushrooms. (Evelyn's Favorite Pasta, if anyone is curious) Same person freaked when I ordered Beet Soup.:rolleyes:

SnappyPix
05-25-2006, 09:51 PM
RoadRaven,

The KiaOra ad was my favourite as a kid - could never stand the horrible synthetic squash though.

My gag food of choice is:

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Greens_Egg_custard_mix_54G.gif

Egg custard. My mum made me eat a dishful one day for dessert - and I repaid the favour by barfing it back up again all over my parents' bed in the middle of the night! :rolleyes:
Never been able to even look at one without heaving since.

And coffee - being terribly British, I'm a tea-head.
Despite recent attempts to consume the most frothalicious cappucino, I'm still at a loss why anyone would chose this beverage over paint stripper and go into quite impressive facial spasms whenever I try.

Oh - and cherry flavoured stuff - reminds me of the threadworm medicine I once had to glug as a kid - the digestive/intestinal effect was quite rapid and not something I'd ever want to repeat!

Selkie
05-25-2006, 11:59 PM
mmmmmm, that sounds good.

I ate an entire can of turkey Spam on Friday. Didn't taste like tuna at all. Didn't taste like turkey, either....

Gotta love salted fat!:D

Turkey Spam? Didn't know there was such an animal. Add Spam to my "ick" list. It featured in a lot of my mom's "specialities" when I was growing up (spam and baked beans, for example).

pikato
05-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Now, I already know I'm a big ol' freak:p but I love brussel sprouts & a good fried Spam sandwich every now and again is a good thing.

Has anyone tried honeycomb tripe?? It's used in a dish called Menudo. Now, I'm half Mexican, and I managed to avoid the dish for years, but finally relented & tried it a few months back when my aunt was making some.

Mind you, tripe is rectal lining from a cow, and I can honestly say that it is the most disgusting thing on this planet!!

Jennifer
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Love- CLif Bars. Especially that cranberry flavor, or the peanut butter.
any vegetables, especially brussell sprouts, broccoli, etc
well, almost any food substance really:rolleyes:

Hate- Luna Bars. They taste so dry and hard. Maybe its the soy that turns me off.
coffee, although I like caramel lattes with extra sugar and whipped creme
chicken made any where other than my kitchen.

AutumnBreez
05-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh my, had some milk and covered oreos once, went for a short spin very shortly after...yucky feelings came to visit my tummy! Another time....had icecream coming home from work, it was in the 90's so I was easily tempted to stop in and get in the airconditioned building besides getting the coolness of the icecream...did not feel so good on the rest of the ride home. I have had the italian ice (like sherbet) on a previous day and it did not have the same effect as the icecream with milk product. My conclusion... I now have a no milk before a ride rule.

bcipam
05-26-2006, 12:08 PM

you sure it wasn't a Clif Bar??:p

bcipam
05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Love- CLif Bars. Especially that cranberry flavor, or the peanut butter.
any vegetables, especially brussell sprouts, broccoli, etc
well, almost any food substance really:rolleyes:

Hate- Luna Bars. They taste so dry and hard. Maybe its the soy that turns me off.
coffee, although I like caramel lattes with extra sugar and whipped creme
chicken made any where other than my kitchen.

OK my favorite Balance Bars - Mocha Chip favorite - everything a Clif or Luna Bar is not. Favorful, chewable and good!

Raindrop
05-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I love veggies, will eat most types of Clif bars and tolerate GU, but I hate, and cannot tolerate egg yolk of any kind. Egg whites can be mixed with salsa and eaten, and eggs when incorporated into such things as cakes and cookies are ok, but fried eggs, soft or hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, poached eggs, eggs benedict...they're all just BAD!

mtkitchn
06-03-2006, 08:31 AM
My husband turned me onto those strawberries and creme things at Starbucks (yum). The other day I decided to pull up the nutrition info off their website and found that one of those has almost 500 calories for a tall!:eek:
They're off my list, now! And I thought it was just strawberries and milk?!
I can't stand Clif bars anymore, either. And the original power bar?? Ugh! The only bars I seem to like are the power bar triple threats and Lara bars, which are cool because they are all natural, uncooked, vegan, kosher, etc. And they taste pretty good (in small quantities). There is one Kashi bar I like as well, but I can't remember the flavor.
Husband got me back into vegetables too, which I hadn't eaten for years, so he's still on my good side.:rolleyes:

JoyfulGirl
06-03-2006, 04:03 PM
fake banana flavouring is pretty yuckie.. the starter for this thread.. That said I'll eat just about anything. The only exceptions I can think of are
tripe
tendon
chitlins.. the smell alone hurts me.
li hing mui

other than that there's things I'm not a fan of or wouldn't search out on my own but if I'm hungry and it's in my way.. It's gonna get eaten. After 3 disapoints in a row at starbucks though I doubt I'll ever pay for a baked product there again. They've consistently disapointed me..

SPAM is the best though. fry it in some soy sauce. slap a slab of rice on top. wrap it up in nori. perfection. Long Live The Spam.

Nanci
06-11-2006, 09:53 AM
I just found the worst food ever. I thought I would "be good" on my 200k Saturday, so bought lowfat mozarella sticks instead of regular. Friday night, in the hotel, I hadn't really eaten much for dinner, so I was going to have string cheese with my glass of Syrah! Mmm. And watch Animal Planet. I took one bite- I can't even describe the rubbery yet sawdusty taste. I tried to swallow it, but ended up spitting up the chewed up part into the toilet. ICK!!! Left the whole pack in the fridge there.

winddance
06-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Salsa.

I just found out that it's a migraine trigger for me. I didn't eat it very frequently for years and years, but found some I liked lately, so I have been eating it more often.

Never, ever again.

More for everyone else! :)

plantluvver
06-14-2006, 02:52 AM
My list:

Organ meats, I do like liverwurst, but that is so much fat I rarely eat it anyhow.
Bologna, used to be a favorite, fried, but the fat again. and it is just too CHEAP What's in it?
Cooked zuchini- once had some that was bitter-I now avoid it.
Cilantro-tastes like soap.
Blood sausage. A favorite as a kid for breakfast,my family called it by the Polish name Keishka, then I asked what it was in English now I think of it as Blood sausage and get nausous just thinking about it.
Blue cheese dressing. Tastes and looks like vomit.
Macaroni salad -store bought- something tastes bitter, I must be peculiar.
Cherry Pie- its slimy.
Whipped cream- sometimes makes me feel like my throat is closing up and I'll be choking. It's not the taste or texture, because I feel that way even after I eat itI. But not always, so It must be some additive. Fake whipped topping, the ingredients are too gross!

I used to dislike any kind of crucifer, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage (except in cabbage rolls, etc.)

Now I love cabbage, avoided Brussel spouts until last year I tried fresh instead of frozen, and they weren't bitter. After being married to someone who hated almost everything, it was a releif to be able to eat again. I probably would still be avoiding weird vegetables if I hadn't suffered all that gastromic deprivation.

As a kid I couldn't eat hardboiled eggs, the dryness of the yolk made me choke. Mom wouldn't let me color eggs, nor eat only the white. Finallly learned to choke down those yolks as an adult. I think of all the cholesterol and fat I could avoid now that I know it is healthier NOT to eat the yolks, but feel to guilty to toss them!

Also, I LOVE custard. My favorite dessert. (Never ate it as a kid)

I have difficulty experimenting with strange animal products, sometimes I will sometimes I won't. I think it makes me thinkabout the death of the animal. Animal products I'm used to don't bother me anymore. ( I kow I "ought" to become vegetarian, because I don't think I could slaughter animals personally, so it is dishonest to eat them. Except killing fish doesn't bother me, even though I like keeping pet fish. But eating octopus does bother me. I ordered some by accident in an Asian restaurant, described as seafood soup.
It was dead already, so I figured I might as well eat it, but it saddened me. They are very clever animals.
Jellyfish was interesting. An Asian freind raved about it. It didn't have any flavor of its own that I could detect, and it was prepared in a cold salad. It had a texture somewhat like calimari but crunchier.

Trying new vegetables and fruits I always find interesting. I may not like them, but there is no "squeamish" factor here.

Hated seaweed, flavor was too strong, and repeated on me. Until I ate sushi several times.

Nanci
06-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Wow, I love a bunch of stuff on your list.

Liverwurst and bologna- love- but feel too guilty to usually eat.

Zuchini- love in any form- raw, cooked, bread, cake, etc.

Bleu cheese dressing- but with French- together. Love.

Cherry Pie!! Whipped cream, especially sprayed straight out of the can!!

Macaroni salad! (Have to admit- there's a huge variation in taste/quality with that).

Mmm brussels sprouts- especially homegrown.

Mmm seaweed- especially salad.

pikato
06-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Bleu cheese dressing- but with French- together. Love.

You do realize I'm going to try this tonight!!

Sounds similar to my bleu cheese mixed with bar-b-q sauce---I love dipping my roasted chicken in that:D

Shimpie
06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
JoyfulGirl mentioned hating li hing mui. I love those little sour-salty pickled dried plums. The Mexicans have a version with lime called saladitos. MMMMMmm, just thinking of it makes me drool. For those who don't know what they are, I've attached a pic.

I don't have very many foods on the do not eat list. In fact, I eat almost everything on everyone else's do-not-eat list.

organ meats
chicken feet
congealed blood cubes (asian thing)
blood sausage (same category as above?)
oreos (traumatized from having them stuck in my braces)
beans, although I'm warming up to refried beans
ginseng tea

I shouldn't eat milk/cheese products becuase I'm slightly lactose intolerant. However, I do it anyway. It just gives me gas. I'll suffer gas for a slice of pizza. My fiance can't have any milk at all. Being a devout cereal lover, he now has all his daily cereal with Silk Soy Milk.

AuntieK
06-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I must say, having the flowers by the li hing mui makes it look MUCH tastier!

Brandi
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I think processed food is evil. We should stay away from that stuff as much as possible.

Robbin_G
06-14-2006, 08:09 PM
My list:

As a kid I couldn't eat hardboiled eggs, the dryness of the yolk made me choke. Mom wouldn't let me color eggs, nor eat only the white. Finallly learned to choke down those yolks as an adult. I think of all the cholesterol and fat I could avoid now that I know it is healthier NOT to eat the yolks, but feel to guilty to toss them!

Also, I LOVE custard. My favorite dessert. (Never ate it as a kid)

Just save your yolks for the custard!

Robbin_G
06-14-2006, 08:12 PM
YES!!! I am not alone! I despise the taste of coffee. There is nothing, no flavored creamer, or whatnot that will get rid of that nasty aftertaste!

I also can't do scrambled eggs (texture thing), lima beans (just yucky), Brussles sprouts (barf!), organ meats (eww!) or hominy (gag!).

We'll never be able to dine together ;-)

JoyfulGirl
06-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Shimpie- Sorry to diss on the li hing mui ;) My first experience with it was my boyfriend piling this shriveled super salty thing on the top of my beautiful, perfect, plain mound of white rice that I was ready to dig into. The salt permeated the whole bowl. I've held a grudge ever since. It's really the boy's fault but I kinda like to keep him around so I just take it out on the food.

My mom loves the saladitos you mentioned and my boyfriend holds out for stuff from hawaii.. I threaten to go to the feed store and just get em salt blocks. AuntieK's right though, the blossoms make em look down right appetizing.

Tater
06-15-2006, 05:20 AM

Awww, there has to be something we agree on! :p

Barb
06-15-2006, 07:00 AM
I hate brussell sprouts. Pickled Bologna is just as wrong as it gets. Pickled eggs, also gross. Oddly enough, I love pickles!

Power bars are sick too. Like Bit o Honey without the yum! That reminds me, my ride partner said she picked up power bars for us for our week long tour. I have to find a way to tell her ewwww!

tamara_69
06-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Bananas--gross! Anything banana flavored, too, and I hate bananas in things. They ruin smoothies, bread, cereal, candy, EVERYTHING. However, my family likes them so I buy them and I try to choke one down every week just for the vitamins. But like Lise, they have about a five minute window where I can eat one without gagging!

Tamara

Nanci
06-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I hate ripe bananas, but love half green/half yellow, when they are still tart.

maillotpois
06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I hate ripe bananas, but love half green/half yellow, when they are still tart.

Ditto! But the overripe ones are good for freezing and putting into smoothies.

Shimpie
06-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Well no wonder you have a problem with li hing mui, JoyfulGirl. What was your boyfriend thinking putting li hing mui on rice. It's candy! It's to be eaten alone.

That's like putting a bunch of sour patch kids on top of a grilled cheese sandwich. Bah!!

Nanci
06-16-2006, 04:53 AM
Li hing mui looks like deer turds to me. But I might like them if they are salty.

Sour Patch Kids on Grilled Cheese...That sounds intriguing!

JoyfulGirl
06-16-2006, 05:34 AM
way too early in the morning for me to have read sour patch kids+grilled cheese.
He lets the saltiness mix in with his rice I guess. I'll point out to him that he's weird when I see him tonight though
:D

Kitsune06
06-17-2006, 05:34 PM
There aren't many things that squick me as far as things generally considered 'Food' go...

Peppers- red or green, aren't favorites of mine, but I can handle them as long as something else covers the flavor a little
Cilantro- I'd do without it unless it's in Thai food.
Energy bars are generally all okay as long as I have something to drink with them, but they're so heavy on the stomach. I prefer gels and oozes, but also if I can have something to wash them down.
Ripe olives=good. Green olives=puke, but I like to suck the pimento out.
v8, when beef boullion cube, celery stalk, tobasco , and optional vodka makes a wonderful drink.

Brussels Sprouts are good when salted lightly- I like the bitterness.
the sour tasting ramen packages from asian markets are among my favorites.
I'm a texture person- but I often dislike chewy or crunchy things and favor the soft or gooey textures. Okra is just fine texture-wise, as is tapioca in bubble tea.
organ meats are okay as long as they weren't part of the digestive tract (menudo, etc) but gizzards are okay if well scrubbed, etc.

Things *not* generally considered food, but edible anyway (depending on where you're from)
Bugs- Ehh... The *flavor* of mealworms, fried or ground, is actually sort of appealing to me. The *texture* is what grosses me out a little. Cricket legs are a little weird, too. Actually, just like anchovies- it's the little hair-ish bones and legs.
fish roe- in sushi, it's the best thing in the world. Fried, it's really beyond gross.

Lise
06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Empanadas and root beer float. Why would I eat such a thing? It's called night shift in the labor rooms, my friends. The nurses were frying up empanadas, little pastries with ground meat and potato filling. Then one of the docs got out ice cream and root beer she'd brought, and, well....you can't be ruuuude, right? Gotta have some, right?

But two empanadas, L? Perhaps one would've been enough. Root beer float was so tasty. Now I feel like a lead balloon, and I reeeeeallly want to go to sleep. I have a patient in labor, though...ugh. NO more fried stuff + sugar.

DrBee
06-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Ditto! But the overripe ones are good for freezing and putting into smoothies.

The best thing I can think of for overripe bananas is to make chocolate covered frozen bananas out of them.

Geonz
06-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Sounds liek Jack Sprat and his wife - you should be able to get along just fine!

I don't care for coconut or squash. MOst anything else, put enough sauce or salt on it I like it, especially if noodles are involved. (And squash can be disguised.)

LOVE spinach (never had it as a kid).

I avoid processed food, though. Parents were pre-hippie natural food lovers (having something to do with how hyper some of their children would get without a predictable diet), so I've acquired an aversion to fake grape and strawberry. Obnoxious that so many "athletic" foods have gone that way.

I like Clif bars but they give me bad gas (not as bad as the silent-but-deadly that Marge's roasted onions and vegetables do... delicious, but in moderation and only on weekends... no, that *wasn't* a flat tire on the Saturday Saunter...)

DOn't like coffee but drank more of it last week than in the past 5 years, 'cause it's what was there for caffeine. Burnt beans is what it is - if you've ever charred those lima beans proper (what? forget about puttin ghtem on the stove?), it's that same essence.

denda
06-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Hate anything raspberry flavored! Have never had fresh raspberries, maybe they would be ok. Hate sauerkraut! Even the name sounds nasty! Hate the gels, GROSS! I like coffee, but can't drink it anymore since I have developed a sensitivity to caffine. I now drink herbal teas, no caffine. Love fried okra!
Love spinach. But God's gift to us all is PECANS!!

brandicmt
06-28-2006, 06:08 PM
I love this thread. But I really HATE stinky cheeses - Blue, Limburger, Goat (really tastes like goat) and all of the other strong cheeses. Funny though I love real aged gouda (from the Netherlands), most sheep’s milk cheese and other more mild cheese... And I agree with many others the idea of organ meat is wrong.