PDA

View Full Version : Terry bike

mimitabby
05-19-2006, 09:18 AM
does anyone here have a Terry bike or has bought a bike sight-unseen?

I would love to hear about your experience.

massbikebabe
05-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi,

I have a 1986 Terry Precision which I recently converted from old school to new componets. I have been in love with this bike for years. I did not buy this via the phone, my DH used to work in a bike shop and bought it at a show from Terry herself. Mine was made in NY unlike the current models which I think are made overseas. My Terry is steel, and has a small front wheel and a 700c rear wheel...I do not think she makes this style anymore with 650c tires available. I also own a Trek 5200 which is a carbon dream but have gone back to the Terry because it is steel and I am just getting back to riding after having a stroke last October. (I don't want to crash my precious Thin Lizzy Trek). If you have any specific questions that I can answer please feel free to PM me, I would be more than happy to help.

karen

snapdragen
05-20-2006, 09:16 AM
I have a 1999 Terry Classic, also steel with 700 wheels front and back. Currently she has flat bars, but I'm working on changing her to drops. (shaddup jobob, I know this "project" is going on a year now....) The cool thing about Terry bikes, I had some questions about changing out the brakes and emailed the company. Ended up having a great email conversation with Georgena Terry herself.

Sight unseen - I dunno. I drove up to Berkley to test ride and buy my bike.

I just read the Terry website - they will ship the bike to a dealer near you so it can be assembled and fit properly. Then you have two weeks to test ride it. If you don't like it, they'll take it back. (less shipping of course)

Triskeliongirl
05-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi- I ride two terry bikes. I have a 2005 titanium Isis and a 2001 steel classic, although the classic was recently upgraded to drop bars, and utegra/XT. Isis is my go fast weekend bike while the classic is my commuting/touring bike. For me they fit the best. They both have the small front wheel, which gives me an appropriately short top tube for my height, without any toe clip overlap, and great handling. I test road a lot of bikes, and found that with a larger front wheel the handling was sluggish due to too much fork rake, or the seat tube was too steep for me to get set up properly, or there was toe clip overlap. You can see pix of my bikes on bike journal under team estrogen, triskeliongirl. Gerogena still uses the small front wheel on frames 17.5" and smaller (24" front, 700cc rear for normal gearing). She uses 650c on the 19" but I found it had toe clip overlap. Mine are both 17.5". Both times Georgena talked me through the specifics of the purchase and then shipped the bikes to the bike store of my choice. I absolutely LOVE my bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -e

mimitabby
05-22-2006, 06:58 AM
how tall are you Triskeliongirl?

(Hi, it's mimi here who just bought your shorts!)

Triskeliongirl
05-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi Mimi- email me privately for more discussion. I am 5'4" tall, BUT, I have a 3 cm Leg length discrepancy, so I had to be fit for my short leg side, and then I have dropped pedal for my longer leg. I also have a short torso and arms, relative to my legs, so had to be fit on a smaller size than a simple straddle test to get the top tube I want. I can ride either a 17.5 or 19" terry frame (its a question of how much seat post is showing, the top tubes are similar on the older models) but recently when they started putting 650cc tires on the 19" they made the top tube longer and introduced a little toe clip overlap. Since I prefer a bike with the 24" front and 700cc rear and the shorter top tube, I had to go with the 17.5". I know a lot about these bikes, both old and new, so email me privately and maybe I can help you. There are some great deals now on ebay for the older ones. You can see my bikes on bikejournal under the teamestrogen club link. -e

Selkie
05-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I have two Terrys---a 2003 Classic which I've outgrown and a limited edition Fast Woman that I bought sight unseen from the Team Terry Capt. Both are great bikes. Terry has excellent customer service.

One word of advice---test ride before you buy. My Fast Woman has a reach that's a smidge too long. I've been planning to replace the stem, which I think will do the trick in terms of fine tuning the fit, but I haven't gotten around to it. It is permanently on my trainer. I've been a lot of "Coach Troy" miles on that baby, so she was well worth the cost.