PDA

View Full Version : First Race!

Runner13
05-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Guess what?! I did my first race yesterday!

Actually, it wasn't really a full-blown race, but it was a TT that they have every Thursday a little ways out of town. My boyfriend does it often, and talked me into doing it with him yesterday. It was very hilly and a strange sensation to be trying to go as fast as I could, but I did well - my boyfriend was impressed with me! I even dropped my chain on the second hill and had to jump off to put it back on and I did okay! (My boyfriend has since shown me how to do it without getting off the bike.)

Anyway, I'm proud of myself! Afterwards, we rode back to my boyfriend's work (about 15 miles away) and he kept commenting how much better I am now than I was when we went riding a few Saturdays ago. :D I felt pretty flattered!

TsPoet
05-19-2006, 07:36 AM
There is no going back now! What a rush, sounds like you may have your Thursday night plans for the rest of your life.
For me, it's the local group's Tuesday night rides.
(hope I got the apostrophes right:D ).
Started looking for a TT bike yet? ;)

bikerchick68
05-19-2006, 07:56 AM
way to go! sounds like you did great and had a fun time too... :D

RoadRaven
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
You rode a TT, Runner?

What do you mean, not a full blown race? ;) The TT is called the "race of truth" and shows the strongest rider - not the best climber, or sprinter, or wheel-sucker or tactician... but the strongest.

And any race where you are against the clock is a real race.

Well done on doing it well, how fab to have your bf there and so proud of you.

Here's hoping you are hooked, if you aim to improve your cycling, races are a great way to do that. looking forward to hearing more... :)

Runner13
05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Well, I mean, it was only a practice TT, but it was my first one, so I'm sure it was good for me.

Yeah, actually I just started biking a month ago - it's Winnie's birthday today (that's my bike) - I got her exactly one month ago! My goal is to have done the same number of miles on her as dollars I spent on her in the first month, and if I go out today, I'll be able to make my goal!

About looking for a TT bike - it's hard not to buy EVERYTHING that has to do with biking! Yeah, my boyfriends been trying to get me to get some aerobars, but I'm not sure. I think I'll be just fine on my road bike until I get quite a bit faster.

Anyway, I loved it, even though I was a little hesitant about it at first. I liked it because I was alone and didn't have to worry about any other riders!

susanm8048
05-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Guess what?! I did my first race yesterday!

I even dropped my chain on the second hill and had to jump off to put it back on and I did okay! (My boyfriend has since shown me how to do it without getting off the bike.)

Well done Runner 13!

Can I just go off topic a little bit and ask how you get your chain back on without having to get off the bike?
My chain sometimes falls off the front chain ring when I get down into granny gear. I know I need to get my bike adjusted but till then.....

RoadRaven
05-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Well, I mean, it was only a practice TT, but it was my first one, so I'm sure it was good for me.

The very cool thing about a TT is that anytime you decide to ride one, it is as if its the real thing, because ultimately a TT is about you and beating your self. You can't really have a practice road race, because you cannot emulate (when on your own or with friends) the pressure you are under in a pack.
Don't underestimate your achievement in this "practice" - you did well...

About looking for a TT bike - it's hard not to buy EVERYTHING that has to do with biking! Yeah, my boyfriends been trying to get me to get some aerobars, but I'm not sure. I think I'll be just fine on my road bike until I get quite a bit faster.

The single biggest improvement to your speed will be aero bars... more than wheels or booties or an aero helmet...

Plus you don't need a TT specific bike to have aeros or to race in a TT using aeros. You can just slap them on your current bike.

Try a few out at your LBS - there are quite a few different styles and prices. Buy ones that feel comfortable for you... not because they are the ones that some pro-cyclist uses. We bought several pairs second hand and tried them out before settling on something that was good.

They will take a while to get used to, as they change your balance. Don't start using them on bends, down hill or in a cross wind.

Just remember if you are riding with others, don't use your aero bars at all - you are not allowed to use them in a pack in a road race.

Anyway, I loved it, even though I was a little hesitant about it at first. I liked it because I was alone and didn't have to worry about any other riders!

This is one of the reasons that switched me on to TTs - I am only responsible for myself. However, I love the ability to get in a rythym and really focus and just dig in and churn out the power (as limited as that is :cool: ). Racing in a pack involves concentrating on what others are doing, and surges and attacks...

Have fun, Runner... where-ever in the cycling smorgasbord you land, its a fab sport. :D

Runner13
05-20-2006, 04:58 AM
Yeah, so you can get the chain back on by shifting as though you were going to shift to a larger chainring. That makes the derailleur move back where it should be, taking the chain with it and putting it back on the ring.

I haven't tried it in action yet, but my boyfriend swears that it works. (He did it while I was off the bike and it worked.)

Thanks for the tips gals! I think I am going to go back for other Thursdays - already I'm timing myself when I go by that area for my normal bike ride.

RoadRaven
05-20-2006, 12:18 PM
It works most of the time and if you are quick...
You just try and switch back the front chain ring to wherever it was.

Losing your chain is usually operator error, so make sure your chain is in the right place before switching between the front rings...

susanm8048
05-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the chain tips.

You are probably right about it being operator error, as it happens at the same place every time I ride: at the bottom of a hill and going into a really steep hill- you know, one of those that you fear you might fall off your bike if you get get stuck in a too high gear. I think that I must change aggressively from the big chain ring to the small one and it slips off. When I use granny gear anywhere else, it doesn;t happen.

To make things worse, I am still trying to get used to my new road shoes and pedals and have ENORMOUS difficulty getting clipped back in and going again going uphill.

Thanks,
Sue:)

Runner13
05-21-2006, 06:30 AM
You are probably right about it being operator error, as it happens at the same place every time I ride: at the bottom of a hill and going into a really steep hill- you know, one of those that you fear you might fall off your bike if you get get stuck in a too high gear. I think that I must change aggressively from the big chain ring to the small one and it slips off. When I use granny gear anywhere else, it doesn;t happen.

Yeah, the best way to shift down a big chainring is to give two hard pedals just before you shift and then pedal REALLY lightly while you shift and until the chain is on the smaller chainring. It's doing it too fast and too hard that pops the chain off.

To make things worse, I am still trying to get used to my new road shoes and pedals and have ENORMOUS difficulty getting clipped back in and going again going uphill.

The trick to getting back in on a hill (it's hard!!!) is to clip in one side, push yourself off and give one hard pedal to get going and for balance, and then sort of pedal with one foot (it'll make that clipped-in leg burn like heck! - and you may not know what to do with the un-clipped foot - just put it on top of the pedal as though it were clipped in, but don't push hard!) until you get some momentum. Then (perhaps once you're at the top of the hill) you can worry about getting clipped the rest of the way in. Pedaling with one foot is a skill that I've found essential while learning to use clippless pedals.

My boyfriend says that when he's on his MTB and he absolutely is on a hill that's just too steep to get clipped back in, he puts a rock behind the back tire to steady the bike for a few seconds while he gets back in. That would take amazing coordination, though.