PDA

View Full Version : new to atlanta, new to cycling, lots of questions

weesara
05-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi. I just found this forum the other night. After reader some of the posts, I decided that it was time for me to get serious about my cycling. I've had a bike for a couple of years, but I've also had a young child, and then went through a major move from Wisconsin to Atlanta. I finally feel settled, and ready to hit the road.

I went out today for a 20 mile ride. It took me about 1hr and 40 min. There are a lot of hills around where I live. I have questions about a bunch of things.

Cadence: how important is it for me to keep within a certain range? I think I was doing pretty well today, but on some of the steeper hills I went pretty low (like 38 rpm). I was on the lowest gear, and going something like 3miles per hour... it felt pretty silly.

Gears: I still make stupid mistakes, but my biggest question is how to anticipate the hills. The hills around here are often very steep and very short. So you go down and immediately up again, then down, then up, etc. Are there any tips or guidelines for when to shift?

Turns: I know there is a technique, but I don't know what it is! Any ideas?

I think that's all for today. I know I will have more questions soon. I feel great right now after that, my longest ride ever!

Thanks for being a great community. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Oh... one more thing. I wanted to go out the other day but I had terrible menstrual cramps. I felt very wimpy staying home in bed, but I didn't think I would do a good ride in those conditions. Is it better to stay home and rest, or should I just go out anyway?

Told you I had a lot of questions!:)

Sara

Duck on Wheels
05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Weesara, and welcome to the forum. I've found it a very supportive environment that has certainly helped me get more serious about biking. I have the impression that there are a few semi-official "greeters" out there who tend to be the first to welcome newbies. :) They'll be with you soon, and will be far better than I (another newbie) at answering your questions. Meanwhile, you might want to visit the "Getting to know you" thread and introduce yourself.

I'll give a stab at the turning question though, if only as a kind of exam. If I get it wrong, my sister (Trek420, and a much better biker than I) will be on here pdq to correct me. ;)

Now if I remember this right ... put your outside foot downwards, putting some weight into that outside crank, and if the curve is really tight, point your inside knee into it. Am I remembering that right Trek?

As for gears and cadence, I wouldn't really know, but I'd say you're doing ok. You are making it up those hills! (I tend to give up and walk.) And your average speed isn't too bad either for a hilly route. I'm envious. I'm also envious that you're out there riding today. I'm back here in Wisconsin; it's pouring rain, thunderstorm, so not biking weather! :(

betagirl
05-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi and welcome

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. For Cadence, the general rule is it's better to "spin" than to "mash". So in other words, keeping it higher is your goal. It saves the muscles in your legs from getting overworked, especially up hills. With that, spinning requires more cardio endurance, which will come with time. I tend to ride in the 85-100 rpm range, depending on what I'm doing. I have a tendency to mash, and have been working on that this season. Last year I rode most of it in the big ring, but then I didn't have anywhere to go for more power. So I'm focusing on staying in the middle ring (I have a triple) and spinning more. It seems to be working.

When approaching a hill I typically start to downshift so I'm spinning faster as I approach. It's amazing how quickly you slow down as you go up the grade. You don't want to find yourself cranking too early up the hill. Also, I've been told that you'll always have more power up a hill sitting than standing, so try to keep your butt on your seat if you can. But there are always times when you need to stand, it just shouldn't be what you do the whole way up a long hill.

For turns, you should have the foot that's on the side that you're going to be turning toward up so you don't clip your foot on the ground (so making a left, left foot up). If it's a steep turn, then you put your knee out a bit though I'm not sure how far is the right way. I've learned to corner by feel pretty much. I'm sure someone else can describe it better :)

Hope that helps. Sounds like you're well on your way.

hirakukibou
05-17-2006, 03:47 AM
It sounds like you're doing great. I am a newbie too so don't have too much "expert" advice, but I am learning about turning my knee out when I turn. It does seem to help with the momentum. Also, in terms of cramps, I get them bad too. I feel if I can't stand up comfortably, I can't ride comfortably. Then it's time for TLC and a heating pad. If I take motrin, or an herbal tea and feel okay then I go out. But I feel there is no shame in taking care of yourself in bed if that's what you need!

Geonz
05-17-2006, 06:19 AM
I don't get out of my seat at all (I'd probably fall down, though maybe not on my long bike)... 38 is a 'way low cadence but if you're in the easiest gear that's just something to work on. You're still moving!
If you're talking basic technique, one thign that helped me was to think "round and round, not up and down." If I were using my hands to get the pedals around, I"d be *guiding* them and trying to push at 90 degrees for that maximum torque - so I try to think that my feet are hands (which doesn't work for picking up my water bottle at all, so I have a camelbak :) :) :) ) and *cranking* around, not pushing forward.
http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/litlist.htm has a really good guide to cycling (including how to deal with motorists, curbs, and police who don't know the law) tho' it's light on the techniques for long riding.
Oh, and cramps... it depends. Now that I'm riding a lot, I hardly ever get 'em. But sometimes they would almost make me lightheaded and I don't want to crash... I generally listen to my body. I might go out for somethign really easy to see if it helps or hinders, but the deal is if I go out and crash, that would mean *less* riding, and that isn't the point...

weesara
05-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks for these tips and encouragement. I will definitely try the idea of thinking of my feet at hands! The knee turned out into the turn feels awkward, but at one point I felt like I was getting it. One of the hardest things is getting the hang of shifting while going downhill... I tend to just cruise down and then suddenly I am on a flat or going up another hill and I need to adjust. I want to figure out how to anticipate my needs better. No doubt more practice is what I need most! I'm going to go out again tomorrow and see how it goes. Will let you all know...

Smiles, Sara