PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Pon Memorial Two-Day

shadon
05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
The Jonathon Pon Memorial is a two day ride sponsored by http://www.positivepeddlers.com here in Northern California. Most folks on the ride are preparing for the ALC in three (!!) weeks.

I wasn't ready for this.
I only made it to Petaluma for lunch the first day...my pace was to slow, and hills kicked my butt, both up and down. Sunday I rode a SAG vehicle and served as the Welcome Wagon at the turn into Samuel Taylor Park, providing shade, water, sunscreen and good cheer.

Even though it was a bust for me, I can't say enough about PosPeds and this ride. Lunch was good! We camped out at Cassini Ranch, had good dinner, enjoyed the farm animals and it looked to me like everyone was in their tents and snoring by 9 pm.

This was the first time I've done anything like this, so I don't have the perspective of other rides...but I'm up for it next year! (Provided I can master this downhill phobia I have).

Trek420
05-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Shadon,

Congratulations!! If you made it to Petaluma you are doing great. That means you made up the aptly named Camino Alta? Followed by Whites Hill?

Well Whites Hill is comparable and maybe tougher than Quadbuster one of the hardest hills of the ride.

Nothing wrong with slow, kick it in a low gear that you feel you can live in all day, watch your HRM and keep going. Like SK says below, spin, eat, drink, sleep repeat to LA.

It's a ride not a race :p

On downhills, find your safe line, ride your own ride and pace. Don't go any faster than your TE gals thoughts and prayers can keep up with you :D

Stay fed and hydrated, you can do this ride. I'm sorry I missed this one, but hope to see you there next year and...I'll see you on Day 0.

Question; what were you doing the week before this ride? Normal exhaustive training regimen? That could be why you felt slow. Will someone show Shadon how to REST? 8-)

Lots of different thoughts about this some people slow down, reduce intensity and miles before a big event, others like me don't stand if I can sit, sit if I can lie down, lie down if I can put my feet up....Before ALC4 if I could just stay in bed and eat the week before...I would.

SadieKate
05-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Shadon, I love your reports. You've come so far and you're going to go a long way. Keep on spinning.

shadon
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
It was a true learning experience. ALC will be what it will be. In 20 minutes I get to leave the office, go get some lunch, then take my bike to the presidio and ride up 'n DOWN some hills.

TE support and encouragement is the best!

liksani
05-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Aww, sounds fun, wish I could have been there.