PDA

View Full Version : I need bike fit advice...

GLC1968
05-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Last summer I decided that I needed a low impact cardio option, so I bought a road bike. I went to one of two LBS's and ended up buying a 2004 Fuji Roubaix in a 49cm. I rode it for about 100 or so miles and went back to ask for a proper fitting (I didn't even get a 'quick fit' when I bought it). They gave me a shorter stem, a slightly more upright stance, and sent me on my way. Not knowing any better, I accepted what I was told...that the bike fit fine.

After ~600 miles and tons of research, I don't buy it any longer. I know that the standover height is too much for me. In bike shorts and shoes, my crotch is tight against the bar and my heels just barely graze the ground. (I'm 5'4" with short legs, long torso, and short arms). When riding, I have awful balance...even after 5 solid months of riding. I also think my handlebars are too wide (how does one measure shoulder width? Is it bone to bone?), and I think the reach is too long as I am not comfortable on the hoods at all (I never ride there...ever). I've been back to that shop and I tried just sitting on a couple of smaller bikes (basically, compact frame bikes) and I felt much more stable on them (it was raining, so I couldn't test ride that day).

I think I need a new bike, but I don't know how to go about this. I fear going back to the same LBS because I don't want half-assed help again. The other shop in our area carries Trek almost exclusively, and I don't want to be limited (though I do believe they will fit me better based on my husband's experience with them). Is there benefit to being fitted at one shop but buying from another?

I know I'm a hard fit (I expected it) with my small size but more masculine proportions...but it should be THAT hard. It's not like I'm 4'6" or something...

Any advice on how to best go about this?

Oh, the purpose of the bike: I have my sights on at least one (if not two) centuries this year, and I like doing long charity rides. Eventually, I may want to race, and I've committed to my first tri before I'm 40 (I'm 38 now). :D

Thanks for any advice/insight!!

Trekhawk
05-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Last summer I decided that I needed a low impact cardio option, so I bought a road bike. I went to one of two LBS's and ended up buying a 2004 Fuji Roubaix in a 49cm. I rode it for about 100 or so miles and went back to ask for a proper fitting (I didn't even get a 'quick fit' when I bought it). They gave me a shorter stem, a slightly more upright stance, and sent me on my way. Not knowing any better, I accepted what I was told...that the bike fit fine.

Im pretty new to cycling myself too but here is what I have learned from the more knowledgeable girls at TE.

Your handlebar width should equal that of your shoulders. Best way to measure this is from AC joint (the bump on top) to AC joint.

Your really need to find a bike shop that will take fit seriously. If you cant find that near by then you may have to travel a little further to one that does.

A book I find really useful for fit and advice on cycling injuries is Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists. It goes right thru bike fit and helped me fine tune my bike fit.

Hope this helps a little.:)

stella
05-17-2006, 04:08 AM
find other bike shops--even if it means you need to travel a bit. the Trek shop may be able to order other brand name bikes that they are authorized to carry in your size range--feel free to ask them. also, find out if charge for fittings. Many shops may charge for a fitting but will deduct that price from the purchase price of the bike.

I am in the same boat as you--wsd does not work for me, I have the shorter legs and longer torso and found a shop that is savvy about bike fit.

the Andy Pruitt book that was recommended by trekhawk is a great resource re: bike fit. My handlebar is a 38 (after measuring from 'bone to bone') and Ifind it comfy.

keep us posted!

GLC1968
05-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Wow, thanks!

I always thought I had broad shoulders, but bone to bone (or joint to joint) it's not nearly as wide as I thought. I guess I've got big shoulder muscles! ;) My handlebars are definitely too wide for me.

The people at the 'Trek' shop are very, very helpful, so I'm going to get some recommendations from them. I also have heard good things about their sister shop in the next town over, so I may be making a little trip this weekend.

Anyone want to buy a 49cm Fuji? :p

salsabike
05-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Look in the yellow pages at physical therapists and see if you can find a few who specialize in cycling and bike fit. We have several here in Seattle. That's what I did, and it was a huge help to have a bike fit done by someone who had no vested interest in selling me a particular bike. Then I went bike shopping knowing what I needed in terms of top tube length, etc., and felt pretty comfortable and more in control of what I was picking to buy.

stella
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Wow, thanks!

I always thought I had broad shoulders, but bone to bone (or joint to joint) it's not nearly as wide as I thought. I guess I've got big shoulder muscles! ;) My handlebars are definitely too wide for me.

The people at the 'Trek' shop are very, very helpful, so I'm going to get some recommendations from them. I also have heard good things about their sister shop in the next town over, so I may be making a little trip this weekend.

Anyone want to buy a 49cm Fuji? :p

yeah, the broad shoulder look of the 80's killed me! I have enough shoulders already! lol!

what other bike brands are you looking at?

re: selling the fuji: I've had luck on craigslist in my area--give that a try. or, list it in the "for sale" section of these forums and just state that you will sell to someone in your area. I've had + experiences w/selling/buying here and craigslist.

GLC1968
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty open to just about any bike that'll fit me. My husband is a Trek fan, so I'll have to give those a shot. My mountain bike is a Specialized and I absolutely adore it...even after 9+ years, so I'm definitely looking into a Ruby....if I can afford it! Other than that, I'm pretty open. I do like my Fuji...it's been a good bike...it's just the wrong fit and that puts such a damper on things.

Any suggestions?

When I rode at lunch today, I purposely tried to ride with my hands closer to the stem, and it instantly released the tension in my upper back. Of course, it's pretty hard to brake and shift from that location! ;) I don't doubt for a minute that the wider handlebars is part of my problem. My shoulders are 14 inches...my bars are almost 16! In fact, I was toying with the idea of just fixing that to see how it works out. It might buy me a little more time to save some funds towards a really sweet ride! :D

Trekhawk
05-17-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty open to just about any bike that'll fit me. My husband is a Trek fan, so I'll have to give those a shot. My mountain bike is a Specialized and I absolutely adore it...even after 9+ years, so I'm definitely looking into a Ruby....if I can afford it! Other than that, I'm pretty open. I do like my Fuji...it's been a good bike...it's just the wrong fit and that puts such a damper on things.

Any suggestions?

When I rode at lunch today, I purposely tried to ride with my hands closer to the stem, and it instantly released the tension in my upper back. Of course, it's pretty hard to brake and shift from that location! ;) I don't doubt for a minute that the wider handlebars is part of my problem. My shoulders are 14 inches...my bars are almost 16! In fact, I was toying with the idea of just fixing that to see how it works out. It might buy me a little more time to save some funds towards a really sweet ride! :D

I have a Trek 5000 (NOT WSD) and its a good ride. Yep changing your handlebars would definitely be a cheaper fix and a good idea if the rest of the bike fit is good.

Have fun.:)

stella
05-17-2006, 05:15 PM

I think changing the handlebars is an excellant idea! more economical, go for it!

As far as brand names of bikes...it just has to do with the geometry of the frame and the frame material (steel, aluminum, carbon). some companies give you better components for the money--fuji is one of them. a good "bang for your buck" bike. My favorite shop sells them!

keep us posted!