PDA

View Full Version : I'm fixing a flat...quick question...

Brandy
05-14-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm repairing the slow leak from this morning's ride and I found the hole in my tube. It was caused by a tiny piece of metal, which I removed from the tire. Now my question is whether I should try to repair the tube or just replace it. What do you normally do?

kiwi girl
05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
For on the road repairs I always replace the tube with a new one, but then repair the tube when I get home.

If I am fixing it at home it depends on my mood.

I usually use tubes for up to three punctures (ie I'll patch it twice but throw it out when it gets the third puncture) but yesterday when I got a flat on my commuter bike I discovered my spare already had four patches on it - some people might go even longer but for me thats time for a new one.

Brandy
05-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks! Since I was home and I had my brand spankin' new repair kit sitting here, I patched it. DH looked on the whole time as I tried to fix my very first flat. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and now I feel much more prepared!

margo49
05-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Just had a run of punctures myself.
I call for help if I puncture on a ride these days. Didn't used to but decided at 46 that I could permit myself such luxury after youthful years of touring and messengering. :p
I mend till I have to patch a patch . Which happened on Shabbat as the big patch I had put on a 1/8 inch cut the day before (and ridden 3 hours cross-country on in the meantime) was not enough .
There is something special :cool: about a much patched tube (or woman!)

Nanci
05-15-2006, 04:26 AM
I've never had a problem with patches holding. And it's _so_ much easier than dragging the tube out and putting in a new one.

Brandy
05-15-2006, 07:23 AM
I've never had a problem with patches holding. And it's _so_ much easier than dragging the tube out and putting in a new one.

You mean that I didn't have to take the whole tube out to patch it??? :confused: I'll get the hang of all of this sooner or later! :p

Nanci
05-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I just take the near side of the tire off, feel the inside surface of the tire until I find what caused the puncture, remove it, (you can usually flip the side of the tire up enough to see into it) pull that little section of tube out, find the hole (it can be so small you can barely see it!) patch it, and pop it back in. The most important thing is finding the sharp thing that punctured the tire, without stabbing yourself with it.

Nanci

Brandy
05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Good to know...thanks Nancy!