PDA

View Full Version : got a squeak

sprout
05-14-2006, 04:13 PM
I got caught in a horrible down pour today and by the time I got back to my car both my bike ('05 Dolce) and myself were covered in grit. I figured I'd clean the bike and degrease the chain as it was starting to get fairly gunked up. I now have a really clean bike, with a really clean chain, but I have a horrible squeak when you rotate the pedals. It's not the chain - I'm fairly sure it's coming from the crank. Any words of advice, short of taking it back to my LBS and telling the guys I broke it? I've degreased the chain before but never had this. I looked on the internet and I don't feel comfortable taking the crankset apart (I would for sure break it more than I already have). It wasn't squeaking until I cleaned the bike (and it's a squeak, not a creak). :confused: I'm sort of embarrased too... maybe I can find a rock to crawl under? :o

brok
05-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Could your squeak possibly be coming from your pedals instead of your crank? I had a very squeaky pedal on my last bike - a little lube did the trick.

sprout
05-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Nope, not my pedals. :(
The shop is closed tomorrow, so I guess I'm going to wait until Tuesday and call them. Unless one of my not so mechanically inclined friends says "Sure, I'll fix it for a case of beer."

Veronica
05-14-2006, 05:40 PM
My squeaks always seem to come from my pulleys. Did you check to make sure the bolts on the cranks are tight?

V.

sprout
05-14-2006, 07:22 PM
No, I didn't check that. I just figured that I must have gotten water somewhere bad. This is the second rain storm I've been stuck in, but this is the first time I've had a squeak that wasn't chain related. I didn't hear it squeaking when I rode it, or when I was cleaning it, only after I rinsed her off and started to dry her. I will check those tomorrow when I come back from work. I'm just afraid of doing damage to her!! I really should go to one of those beginner TLC classes; I used to have a portable bike fixer, but I never paid attention. Now I wish I had because I'm having to humble myself and ask a lot of how-to questions. The bike only has about 330 miles on it so it shouldn't be squeaking unless I've done something to it (which I'm sure I've done, I'm always breaking something).