PDA

View Full Version : Personal Coach

trekchic
08-21-2003, 01:01 PM
If any of you are serious riders/racers......... do you have a personal coach? What are the benefits of hiring someone as opposed to training with an existing team?

I know of someone in my area that has coached/trained a lot of riders on the amature and pro level. He'll be expensive, but it may be worth it to work with him for a short time a few days a week and then move to once a month.

I'd like to hear some oppinions on this subject. Anyone have a coach and think it's great...........anyone think it is a waste of money?

Kim in TN

han-grrl
08-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi kim

I have a coach for my mountain biking training. i felt like my training was all over the place, and i wasn't really getting anywhere. my coach has helped me focus on what i need to be working on and we meet once a month to look at the previous months work to see how things are going (i also have the option to meet with him for training sessions as well). i think its awesom and well worth the money. my body just doesn't respond well to group training, and this more personalized approach i think has helped my performance a lot. hopes this helps

Han

trekchic
08-21-2003, 05:38 PM
I am a new cyclist. I don't want to develop bad habits that will have to be fixed later. I'd rather start off correctly. I would LOVE to race! I think working with someone on a temporary basis would get me where I want to be by next Spring. And, it would add a little accountability.......do what he says or it's a waste of money!

My family doesn't think I need to be spending money on a hobby. My husband and kids think I am nuts for even wanting to ride a bike. I don't care.........I'm hooked! They have school sports, and little league, youth football.............I have cycling! That is the way I look at it!

Thanks for answering.....I am going to talk to some area coaches and find something that fits in with my plan!

Kim in TN

han-grrl
08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Hey Kim

what kind of riding are you into? a lesson or two would definitely help. here in ottawa, the OBC offers workshops on racing, group riding and organizes regular outings as well. I am a mtb instructor myself. i love to see the improvement in my students over the weekend clinic. i have also taken lessons, because like you said, its very easy to pick up bad habits.

good luck!

Han

trekchic
08-23-2003, 11:05 AM
I like to ride road bikes. I have tried riding a mtb, and didn't get much of a thrill out of it (sorry!). I love riding on the road, though. I like to push myself up hills, beat my time from last time... I'm reeeeeeeeeeal competitive!

I have contacted the coach for the team I am going to ride with. We will start as soon as MY BIKE COMES IN! I have a TREK 1500 on back order. It should be here any day........or so he says! I am riding someone else's bike right now.........can't wait to get mine!

Dogmama
08-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Kim,

Good for you!!! I know my husband would prefer that I not ride, but I was riding when I met him so he bought the whole package! I have good friends who tell me that they worry about me, etc., and I thank them for their concern. And get back on the bike.

I love riding. How many times have you been on a stair climber at the gym and said, "Gee, I'm having so much fun, I think I'll stay on another 45 minutes?" I bet never. But, on my bike, I'll be out and find that I want to ride farther than I originally planned 99% of the time.

It's the difference between brocolli and chocolate. How many times have you craved brocolli?