PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake pads: roughly how long should they last?

DirtDiva
05-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I noticed a week or so ago that my front break is feeling a bit squooshy (very technically savvy term, I know ;)) and discovered tonight that it has started really squealing in the wet like rim brakes do. I was wondering if it was time to replace the pads. What do you folks who know about stuff like this reckon?

Cheers. :)

newfsmith
05-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I only have 1 bike with disc brakes, and it is unusual because I designed it for winter slush, snow & ice commuting. It only has 1 disc brake ON THE REAR. Under those conditions you rarely touch your front brake as it will probably put you into a front wheel skid. I usually change the brake pads once or sometimes twice a winter depending on how much salt is on the roads. If it is a wet winter with lots of salt the little springs may actually corrode through. If you are riding in less corrosive conditions I would expect you could get a lot more miles than my 600 to 800.

mellic
05-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Easiest thing to do is to take a look at the pad. Flip the bike over and remove the wheel, and then should be able to visibly see how much pad you have left.

Just because the brake squeals does not mean it is time to change the pads. Sometimes in the wet your rotor or pads can get contaminated and that causes the brakes to squeal a bit. I would clean the rotor off with a disc cleaner and remove the brake pads (very easy to do) and give them a wipe.

I dunno what kind of disc brakes you have, but if they are hydraulic perhaps they are squooshy because they need a bleed.