PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to the weather wizard

DeniseGoldberg
05-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Really weather wizard, don't you think this is enough?

You provided nice weather last weekend so my bike and I could escape (http://denise2006threestates.crazyguyonabike.com) together for the weekend - but we haven't seen the sun since last Sunday. And I did thank you for that weather, didn't I?

But now, you're keeping me - and I'd bet all of the other women in this area - inside. Riding in a little bit of drizzle is fine, but that is some serious rainfall out there. In fact, I just heard on the radio that a town just north of where I live has already recorded 2.9 inches of rain. And the National Weather Service forecast suggests that we will get between 1 and 2 inches of rain tonight and another 1 to 2 inches tomorrow. I know that it's been pretty dry around here, but do you really have to try to replace all of that water at one time?

Oh, you're trying to help us by scheduling rest days for us? Well, to be honest, multiple rest days in a row are really a bit of overkill; I'd rather let my body decide when it needs to rest. OK, occasional help from you is acceptable, but not this much.

Here's my wish... can't you let the rain escape overnight and let us have dry weather during the day? Then I'll be happy, my bikes will be happy, all of the other TE women in this area will be happy.

Please weather wizard, can you help?

--- Denise

massbikebabe
05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when I get back on my bike it starts and never stops raining!!

DeniseGoldberg
05-14-2006, 03:57 AM
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just when I get back on my bike it starts and never stops raining!!
I suppose that we should be glad that this is rain and not snow.

As of 6:30 last night, the town where I live had (recorded) 4.58 inches of rain, and it has been raining continuously since then - so who knows what the current total is! But using a common conversion of 1 inch of rain to 10 inches of snow - well, we'd be pinned down for quite a while if this was snow.

And the National Weather Service forecast has increased the amount of rain expected to 2 to 3 inches for today and another 1 to 2 inches tonight. My bikes have informed me that they are staying inside today, and I have to admit I agree. No biking again today...

natheless
05-14-2006, 04:13 AM
:( :( :( :( :(

I am bumming, the forecast is just so horrible. It looks as though, if we're very lucky, it might stop raining on *Wednesday* for a while!

Weather gods - it's APRIL showers...

Surlygirl
05-14-2006, 06:05 AM
I repeat again "Wahhhaaaaaaaaaaa"

DeniseGoldberg
05-14-2006, 01:00 PM
OK weather wizard, it's really time to stop. I just saw a report that says the town that I live in has already received 10.5 inches of rain in this storm, and the forecast for tonight calls for another 1 or 2 inches. I know that we needed water (it was a pretty dry winter and spring) - but this much water all at once isn't a good answer.

Yes, I really would have liked to get out on my bike this weekend, but this isn't about my biking desires - this is about the people who are flooded out of their homes. There are already areas experiencing flooding, and it sounds like the rivers won't crest (and there are at least four that are predicted to crest at two or more feet above flood stage) until tomorrow night or Tuesday. That's scary.

I hope that all of our TE women in this area are OK.

--- Denise

Crankin
05-14-2006, 02:02 PM
This rain is getting scary..... my son said the Concord River was coming up to the edge of Lowell Rd. when he drove here from Boston around noon.

Now if the wetness in a corner of my family room would just go away. Hopefully, we all can ride by Wednesday, which is bike to work day and the Ride of Silence. If anyone is interested, one of the Rides of Silence leaves from Concord Carlisle HS at 7 PM, does a quick 6 mile loop through Concord Center, walk over the North Bridge, and back.

Robyn

annie
05-15-2006, 06:54 AM
And I thought we were having miserable, cold and wet weather here in Iowa! NOTHING like you Northeast ladies are enduring! Our weather is just yucky. Yours is going crazy! I'm sitting and reading the newspaper this morning about 10 - 15 inches of rain in parts of MASS and NH. Unbelievable! Sounds like a cold rain forest. If we get any sunshine here I'll try and encourage it to head your way, too. There's got to be better days ahead! But when???:confused: :rolleyes:

annie

rustygrass
05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
And conveniently, this weather is JUST in time for Bike to Work Week, the time of year that we find ourselves trying to con the lesser crazies into biking to work!!!

newfsmith
05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Today was the first day I rode to work in my galooshes. I needed them to wade through the basement to my bike, so I just kept them on. Not as bad as I expected, although they did chafe my shins a little. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to go back to my sandals & waterproof socks. Wednesday's nicer weather can come early and none of us will complain.

hirakukibou
05-16-2006, 04:14 PM
When the sky lightened for a moment I went out on the bike and got caught in the rain. Supposedly there's going to be sun tomorrow and the next but then followed by more rain. Argggg! These weather changes scare me.

Patti37
05-17-2006, 02:19 AM
I see some beautiful sunshine picking through the blinds in my computer room window.

Let's hope for a day that dries up this rain and a day where Route 1 in Saugus is opened for traffic!!!

DeniseGoldberg
05-17-2006, 04:25 AM
...Let's hope for a day that dries up this rain and a day where Route 1 in Saugus is opened for traffic!!!
Patti -
Wow, what a mess that was! I was lucky in that in spite of the incredible rainfall totals in the town where I live, I was able to get out and get to work without having to skirt any flooded roads. It's amazing (and annoying!) to see the roads that have been closed for days because of flooding. I'll add my hopes to yours for all of these roads to be cleared and reopened!

--- Denise

DeniseGoldberg
05-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Thank you weather wizard - after what seems like forever, we have a clear blue sky and sunshine!

My bike insisted on riding to work today, and I was happy to accommodate her.

--- Denise