PDA

View Full Version : Crit Series

retread
05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
4a.m. came way too early after spending the night in ICU with my 85 yr old mom having surgery. P1 Kart Circuit Course, a new course for all of us. Fortunately I had the chance to preview it about 2 weeks earlier. 0.7986 miles per lap with 13 turns-dicy. Racers are recommended to use extra sticky tires-what the heck does that mean? After I rode the course I was confident that I didn't have to fret about putting syrup on my tires and I used my ZIPS. This quick little course made you stay awake, you had to anticipate each turn. Plenty of riders had their rear wheel slip out from under them and experienced that clean, smooth track way too personally. I knew I couldn't let my competitor beat me as she had done in 2 previous races. I couldn't give her that mental edge or I would have hell to pay for the rest of the year. I got there early, I like to warm up for about an hour before a hard crit. The flyer said 7:00 a.m. I got there at 6. Sitting on my trainer wondering where the rest of my competition was, someone was kind enough to tell me they had changed start times and I was an hour later. Hmmmm. I had not checked the website because I was at the hospital all week:( At the start I could really feel the stress of the last week. I didn't have much in the tank. I pulled 2 laps and then layed low for the rest. I tested their strength as I pulled, just picking things up a notch,but they stuck. The last corner was a hairpin turn, each time I cut it close and found that I could gain some ground. Thats it then, hold off to the last, cut the corner close, and sprint! I have to win, I have to keep pedaling, I can't give in to the pain no matter what. I set my mind. My plan was going smooth until another rider cut across my path, I had to let up, but as soon as I cleared the corner I heard my competitor shifting, it didn't sound very smooth. I shifted and hit it coming from behind. She was slow to react and I already had the jump on her and never looked back. Yeah, I crossed that line first!! Ok, now only 3 to go. One each month for the next 3 months.

CR400
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Good job, that sounded like a fun course. I love tracks where you have to hang on to the turns. I guess I'm just the type that likes to live on the edge of loosing control. I desend like a bullet, kamakazi all the way.

RoadRaven
05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
When I read "CRIT" I feel nervous - sounds like a good little course, but I am in awe of those brave enough to do them. Cornering is not my strength, and doing it with a bunch? I'd be dropped by the second turn.

Well done, Retread, particularly after such a rough night.

Trust your mum is recovering well?
Sending positive energy her way from Aotearoa