PDA

View Full Version : Wandering by bike - from home to the edge of Maine & back again!



DeniseGoldberg
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
It's spring. I'm dreaming of a biking vacation later in the year, but somehow that desire to travel on my bike has been popping up. A weekend away sounded good, time to watch the weekend weather reports and hope...

Late last week the weekend forecast changed to one that seemed to be somewhat favorable. The temperatures were supposed to be decent - overnight lows into the 40s, but daytime highs were predicted to be in the 60s. The weather service had Saturday pegged with a 30% chance of rain, but I decided to take that as a 70% chance of no rain. Time to go...

I did a two-day tour, leaving from home in northeastern Massachusetts and riding to Kittery, Maine on Saturday - then reversing direction and returning home on Sunday.

Curious? You can find the journal of my tour at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/denise2006ThreeStates.

The journal does include pictures, but there are also more pictures in my photo gallery at http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/1440485.

It was a great ride, and now it's time to dream of my next trip!

--- Denise

bike4ever
05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
The pictures are beautiful I sure miss the East coast.

Trekhawk
05-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you had a great weekend.
Beautiful photos.
Thanks for posting them Denise.:)

ridebikeme
05-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks for sharing your photos and story!! It's a great reminder of what lies so close to home!

I live in the western part of Maine in the mountains and am continually reminded how beauutiful it is and how fortunate I am :):

DeniseGoldberg
05-11-2006, 05:47 AM
...It's a great reminder of what lies so close to home!

I live in the western part of Maine in the mountains and am continually reminded how beauutiful it is and how fortunate I am :):
It's funny, but until now I didn't even consider doing short trips around home. I would occasionally drive my bike to interesting riding spots along the New Hampshire or Maine coasts, but that was just for the day. This short trek was proof to myself that short trips around home can be very enjoyable - and I can tell that I'm going to try to make this a new (good) habit!

Where in western Maine are you?

--- Denise

annie
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
What a great ride report, Denise! I almost felt like I was there, you describe it so well. And the photos.......... just beautiful! You are an accomplished photographer. Lots of practice and love of what you are doing shows through. Thanks for sharing!

annie

maillotpois
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Great pictures and story - thanks for sharing. Your ride logs are great!

MomOnBike
05-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the reminder that tours don't need to be multi-week, coast-to-coast epics, but can be nice little weekend jaunts.

Sometimes we need that.

PAP103
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Denise,

Thanks for the great ride report. I've biked the NH seacoast as day trips (and love it) but never for a weekend. What a terrific idea! I'll have to work on a weekend trek for myself!

Patty

kaybee
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Ooh, I'm jealous! Those pictures are great, and it sounds like a wonderful weekend. (Love the Golden Retriver -- I'm also a Golden mom!)

KB

ladyjai
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
wow! awesome! I wish it were possible to do something like that, but if you want to get out of the desert, it's a good 100-200 miles from where I am presently, and on uncertain highways mostly....

how cool was your ride! rover is awesome!

Lise
05-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Wonderful pictures, Denise, and I'm glad you included some of yourself. I'll go back tomorrow and read the report. Snoozing.....L.

tprevost
05-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Very cool Denise,

You are such a neat woman, I love to read about your adventures! Thank you for sharing this one!

Tracy

cindysue
05-22-2006, 09:18 PM
you are so thorough with your journals; maps and all! Thanks for sharing :)

fasteryet
05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Very nice. Those are my old stomping grounds, so thanks for the memories.

In case you're interested, I believe that 'shedding tree' is a Shagbark Hickory.

DeniseGoldberg
05-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Very nice. Those are my old stomping grounds, so thanks for the memories.

In case you're interested, I believe that 'shedding tree' is a Shagbark Hickory.
Thanks - I'm always interested in the names of things like that tree!

--- Denise

mimitabby
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
nice journal, thanks for sharing. I saw the pink budding tree, looks like Canadian Redbud.. (if you care)

we've always wanted to tour Maine. thanks for the photos.

DeniseGoldberg
05-30-2006, 06:30 AM
I saw the pink budding tree, looks like Canadian Redbud..
Thanks - I added a note to the caption of that picture. Canadian Redbud looks like a much more reasonable identification than my "humming tree"!

Bad JuJu
06-02-2006, 06:09 AM
I just read about your ride, Denise. In addition to writing a nice ride report, you, my friend, are a wonderful storyteller! Love all the details.

I never think about that either--short adventures not far from home--but there are plenty available, even here in north Florida. Thanks for the good idea.

DeniseGoldberg
06-02-2006, 07:36 AM
...In addition to writing a nice ride report, you, my friend, are a wonderful storyteller! Love all the details.
Thanks! It's always good for me to hear reader's reactions to my journals.
--- Denise