PDA

View Full Version : Bike Sizing

MelC
05-10-2006, 07:27 AM
My friend is looking at buying a used road bike. We found a 44cm OCR1 which is apparently built on a compact geometry with some decent components. The real question, since I have no idea how this compact geometry business works, is what is it comparable to in non-compact geometry? The owner speculates it will fit someone 5'4" to 5'6" and that it is comparable with a 52-56cm frame. Anyone have any opinions on this? My friend is just over 5'6 and has been fitted to a 54cm unisex frame (she has a normal inseam). She will of course try out the bike before making a decision but I wanted to know whether it was worth her even inquiring or whether it was definitely too small.

Thanks for any input.

Mel

bcipam
05-10-2006, 10:33 AM
The frame sounds very small, much too small for your friend. It would most likely fit someone just around 5' or so.

As with anything you need a proper fitting with a qualified fitter or at the minimum in a bike shop where you can actually sit on the bike in question. Most manufacturers made and measure their bikes differently. So on one bike you may fit a 51 on another 53 but the most important measurement is the top tube length not standover (lots of threads on this forum about fit). Your friend must be comfortable on the bike, be able to reach the brakes, shifter etc and in this case, not be all bunched up. I would bet the top tube is going to be very short on this bike, especially with compact geometry.

Kimmyt
05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a compact WSD bike and have a 48cm frame. I'm 5'3". A 44cm sounds much too small, but I'm just guessing.

K.

MelC
05-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for your responses. This was my initial reaction too but I went to the Giant website and they have an explanation about their compact geometry and it appears that it may fit her. I was hoping to hear from someone who was fitted on a Giant OCR1. The link is below for anyone who is interested.

FYI - she was sized at a bike shop on a bike fitter but she has no interest in buying a new bike so there is only so far that will take her.

Anyway it is worth a shot since she has had some difficulty finding anything else suitable for the last month.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/050.000.000/050.600.100.asp?sPageID=050.600.100

Mel

AuntieK
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I was hoping to hear from someone who was fitted on a Giant OCR1.
Mel

I have a Giant OCR1. It's a small, which, judging by the Giant site's chart, is what it sounds like your friend is looking at. (?) I do wish Giant would size their bikes with the standard numbers, it would make things easier!
Anyway, I'm 5'4". My MIL is 5'7", and she rides a small Giant OCR3, although it may be a tiny bit too small for her (she got it a little small so the grandkids could ride it too).
Hope this helps.

MelC
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a Giant OCR1. It's a small, which, judging by the Giant site's chart, is what it sounds like your friend is looking at. (?) I do wish Giant would size their bikes with the standard numbers, it would make things easier!
Anyway, I'm 5'4". My MIL is 5'7", and she rides a small Giant OCR3, although it may be a tiny bit too small for her (she got it a little small so the grandkids could ride it too).
Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Unfortunately the one we were looking at was already "on hold" but we found an OCR2 for an even better price, the same size so she is going to arrange to try it out. The compact geometry seems to be a good compromise for her because she has a long reach but an average inseam for her height (opposite to most women) so she doesn't have any standover height when she looks at unisex bikes with the right length toptube.

We found an Oryx (canadian manufacturer) in a similar size/geometry so if the OCR2 doesn't work out she has a couple of options.

Mel