PDA

View Full Version : Half Ironman story-Long post

crazycanuck
05-09-2006, 04:16 AM
HI there,

I volunteered at the half ironman in Bussleton(western australia) on the weekend and the organizers have forwarded quite a few thank you's from various participants.

I thought i might pass on this one as it's just a cool story (plus it reminded me of denises posts about her Ironman)

Sunsmart Busselton Half Ironman Triathlon – The View From The Back
By the last official finisher.

First just a little history. I turned 45 two days before the race. I have no natural athletic talent. At school I was always the last one picked for teams. I played netball for a couple of years after highschool in F grade. From the age of around 19 to 39 I took part in no physical activity.
In March 1999 I lined up for my first start in a triathlon, a women’s race held over a 300m swim, a 10km cycle and a 3 km run. I trained for just six weeks and finished the event. I was now a triathlete and hooked on the sport.
Three years ago I trained for the Busselton Half Ironman and after a difficult day recorded my first DNF (did not finish) next to my name. I was just not fast enough to complete the race in the 7 hours allowed at that time so pulled out of the race about 4 kms into the run. I had just 2 hours to complete the ½ marathon. I had been told by the race director that they would not allow me to continue.

It has taken three more years to gain enough courage to line up for another start for this race. Thankfully the cut off has now been extended to 7 1/2 hours so I have more chance to succeed. However I was going to need to execute a perfect race to achieve my goal and realistically I need 7:20 to do this. Pacing and nutrition were paramount.
So here I was on the 6th May standing on the Beach at Busselton. There were almost 800 athletes standing there, all ages, all abilities, all with their own stories. The professional athletes were there and then there was me.
As the start came closer I was very emotional and the anxiety rose, I shed a few tears and was overwhelmed by what lay ahead.

I began at the back of the swim, it was to be a safe place for me. Whatever distance I race I always view things from the back. I am familiar with being last out of the water, last off the bike and last home at the end of the day. One day I hope it won’t be that way! My first lap was uneventful concentrating on a long stroke and calm breathing. I had just rounded the bouy to complete my first lap when I heard the hooter for the team competitors. Although this was right where I expected to be it was not pleasant to be swum over by 150 team competitors who were prepared to go all out because all they had to do was swim. I was jostled and kicked in the face which caused my goggles to start leaking. It was 450 metres before I again had clear water. I must have stopped at least six times to adjust my goggles. The salt water was stinging my eyes. It was not until the home stretch from the last bouy that I managed to fix them and regain a rhythm.
My time to the beach was 53 minutes which was a bit slower than I had hoped for the 1.9kms. Though to keep in my plan I need to be out on the bike in under an hour and I made it in 58 minutes.

The bike went exactly to plan, my goal was for a 3:30 time. I broke this down with a goal of 1:10 for each of the 3 laps, 35 minutes out and 35 minutes back. Each lap was right on pace. Lap two and three went just the same way. I pushed when the wind was behind and I pushed as much as I could into it too. Nutrition was working well. I saw several people with flat tyres and I just prayed so hard that I wouldn’t get one, I didn’t have time for that! My bike time finished up at 3:26 ride time plus a couple of loo stops to add in. My average speed was 25.2kph, a personal best for me over 90kms. I may not be fast, bikes had whizzed past me all day, but I can be consistent with my pace. I felt comfortable off the bike, no aches or pains or soreness. I was looking forward to the run.

After transition I hit the run with exactly 3 hours to complete my half marathon. This was my big unknown. I had never run more than about 12-14kms in training. My training was all planned by time and as I am not fast I didn’t cover as much distance as some would during my long runs.
I broke the run down too, 3 laps in 3 hours. I needed to complete a lap in 60 minutes, 30 out to the turnaround and 30 back. It should be possible. I made it to the turn around in 28 minutes, just 2 to spare, would it be enough? At the end of the first lap I clocked 55 minutes. My legs had loosened up and physically I was doing fine. My heart rate was right where it should be. It was here the mental battle began. I had been racing now for 5 ½ hours and I did not want to run for 2 more hours. I was looking at the turn for my husband David or anyone I knew well to tell them I didn’t want to run anymore but I couldn’t find anyone so I headed out for my second lap. David had not long finished his race but I think he secretly kept out of my way! The mental battle continued, should I keep going, would another DNF be that bad, did I really want to do this long stuff anyway, maybe I am not cut out for this. I could hear my coach in my head saying to turn every negative thought into a positive one. I had Queens song ‘We are the champions’ running through my head. I remembered the line ‘no time for losers’. I had played this song many times in the lead up to the race. I still had time to finish so how could I quit. If my first lap had been over my time limit I may have had a reason but I still was on track for my first finish. I caught up to walkers on their third laps and encouraged them to run, I told them I still had another one to go and could not afford the luxury of walking if I was to get there and that would get them running. They in turn encouraged me and wished me luck. The second lap took the full 60 minutes and I did find David at the turn this time. I stopped to tell him that I didn’t want to run anymore and he just told me to get back out there. Friends that were with him didn’t think he was very supportive but he knows me well and did what he needed. So off I went again. There were still several runners heading home as I went out so I had more company than anticipated. Two of my friends, Annie and Mel, my fellow BOP (back of the pack) athletes, were just awesome out there on the run with me, encouraging me every time they passed. Thanks girls!
I had 65 minutes to finish. As long as I kept the pace and kept running I could make it. As I made the turn around I had 40 minutes to get home. It was getting lonely out there but I was amazed to see three runners heading out as I headed back. I was not last but I feared for them making the cut off as I knew how close I would be. I hunted down the km markers and I ran from Blue tent to Blue tent that were the aid stations. The volunteers were awesome all day but on the run they were exceptional. They waited out there for near three hours just for me! Those aid stations were like an oasis for me, it was not only a place to refuel but a place where I could soak up some encouragement. With few specatators and competitors now left on the course it was those volunteers who brought me home. As I left one I focused on getting to the next one. With two kms to go I knew I would make it. A smile came to my face. I only ever stopped to walk a couple of times during the entire run but within a few paces I knew I had to run to make it. I walked only the aid stations to make sure I kept fuelled up.
I was met by Annie with only 100m to go, she ran a few metres with me cheering me all the way, thanks Annie for waiting there for me. Sadly the finish shute was no longer lined with spectators, the atmosphere of earlier was all but gone. There were only two people left leaning over the railing, my sister and my son who was gracious enough to let me race on his 14th birthday. Simon and Dave, the commentators, called me home and they knew how ecstatic I was to finish. You could not take the smile of my face. I crossed the finish line and into David’s arms. I had at last conquered the ½ Ironman and I did it with 9 minutes to spare. Today was my day. I was not last out of the swim, I was not last off the bike and I was not last home but I had the privilege to be the last official finisher in a time of 7:21 and I am so proud.
A huge thankyou to my husband David who never gives up believing in me even when I lose faith in myself and to Triathlon Coach Andrew Budge for providing me a training programme, he too always believed in me.
Why did I do it? Because I can, I am able, I am fit and I am healthy.
What did I learn out there? Ordinary people can do extraordinary things and it is never too late to try.

Lise
05-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Oh, CC, thank you so much for posting that. I finished it with tears in my eyes. That's my kind of athlete. My goal is a 1/2 IM next year, and I will think of this lady. We are so similiar in our history, and willingness to get out there and do it, even if you're consistently last. This year the goal is to not always be last!

If you ever get the chance, please let that lady know that her story is encouraging us all around the world. Thanks again!

Lise

Barb
05-09-2006, 06:57 AM
I just added another hero to my list! What a great accomplishment.

Running Mommy
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks CC! I think I must have a racing twin down under! but MAN- the Aussies are tough w/ their cut off times. Here in the states it's usually an 8 hour cut off. I seem to remember that IM australia is 16 hours instead of 17 as well. You guys are hardcore down there!

Bella
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm doing my first 1/2 Ironman in August. Whole mixed bag of feelings when you take on a distance and event like that. This story is encouraging and I will remember it as I train in the weeks ahead.

ptsheridan
05-10-2006, 08:38 AM
CC..Thank you for sharing this inspiring story. It really touched me. Maybe one day I can accomplish what the women in this story has and with such grace and courage. I am entered in my first sprint at the end of June with another following mid August. I am slow but steady and getting stronger each day I train. I may finish last but for me, just finishing this year is my goal.

The tears of joy for her accomplishment and hope for me are flowing!

Geonz
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
It's bad to be crying at my desk... especially Vulcan tears : (must be PMS) :-))

*That's* a victory.