PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Spinning Shoes?

adkoch
08-19-2003, 04:49 PM
I am trying to take advantage of Performance's year-end sales and have a couple of models in mind - anyone have suggestions or favorites? Should I go mainly by the original price (the more, the better the shoe)? I'm looking to stay reasonable... Pretty much, all of them have a rubber sole, mesh/leather upper and dual straps. I will be using them for spinning, but also some fall riding/commuting, as well. Once I get my Speedplays, I will probably only use these for spinning...

Shimano SH-T092 - orig. $99 - triple strap
SH-R073 - $70 - fiberglass/nylon outsole
SH-R096 - $90 - narrow heal
Lake CX 125 - $90 - fiberg/nylon - one strap
Lake CX 115 - $75 - rubber outsole pads - nylon sole
Performance Primo Due - $80 - laces, also
Diadora Cosmo - $100 - nylone outsole - tri strap - induction cooling system
Diadora Voyager - $70 - laces, also - nylon insert for rigidity
PI Vagabond - $75 - tri strap

Any opinions??? Thanks in advance! ~Angie

missliz
08-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, I only buy stuff I really like the looks of, it makes the tough sweaty part easier to deal with. :D Some people think thats insane, but whatever.
Anyway, I'd do two things- yes, look at the original price because higher end shoes tend to have better features like good molded heel cups and stiffer soles. Buying shoes is buying shoes.
Then I'd call Performances tech desk and ask about fit. Diadoras are infamous for being narrow, though that's a good thing for most women. I have Chilies that are awesome- why did they stop making those? I love my Lakes, too. There really is a difference between entry level shoes and the pricier fancier ones. And both laces and straps are usually good. you can take the laces out, but they can be used to adjust the fit more than you think. Good to have.
If you use good shoes outside, cheesy ones in class are just going to drive you nuts. And even whithin one brand different models can fit very differently, that's why you should ask. I pitched the catologue (money diet) so I can't look at the shoes, but your foot size and shape is gonna have a lot to do with it. Performance should be able to tell you whats up with that.
And you might score great shoes- you can always swap cleats and use them outside.

missliz

Terry
08-20-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm using a pair of low end Lakes for spin and I can't tell the difference. I've used my MT shoes (upper end/broken in) for spin class and to tell you the truth, both shoes work the same for me.

If you are going out side, buy the best you can afford. They are going to get USED...in spin, you take them to the gym, put them on in class, take them off after and that's it. I bet if I could put cleats on Keds and wear them to spin, I'd be just fine...honest Missliz, the low end cheesy Lakes don't drive me nuts in spin at all....I'd never wear them outside because I mountain bike and they'd get soooo chewed up.

Also, Nashbar techs are pretty knowledgable about riding shoes.
And, Sierratradingpost.com had some SIDI road shoes on sale (Diadora Diablo, too)...problem with Sierra is, they don't have all sizes as they are a close-out/over-stock distributor.
Good luck.
Terry

missliz
08-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, see, that's a really personal thing- I am SO picky about shoes, especially sports shoes. I don't see how people can stand Keds they're such lousy shoes. Culturally they're the same as foot binding- "Oh, I'm helpless!".
I find better equipment gives better performance, and I expect to put out the same on a spin bike as outside. Spin was started as a training thing by cyclists, and was ripped off and made into a gym gimmick. The name is spin because that was the point- work on the finer points of technique and perfect your spin. You can do aerobic conditioning any old way and it transfers. A spin bike gives you a venue to pedal squares all off season.
Frankly, I don't really get the multi shoe thing. I use ATAC, so mt shoes are out. Therefore, you take your road shoes and use the LOOK side. How many pairs of cleats do you want to set up?

Lizzy